Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Slide out to non slide
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Slide out to non slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three of five RV's I have owned have had slides. We prefer the additional room a slide gives us since we live in a rainy area that can trap you under the awning or inside.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like OP knows the differences. I've had the same TC for 16 years. If I ever get a different one, it might be a nonskid. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. As long as the layout works for you, that's all that matters.

I camped last year with 6 of us although three were grandkids. I have a bunk over dinette. It worked ok for us for two nights. I don't think we would have had enough floor space without the double slide.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the OP knows the differences.

To me, it seems like he wants to know if anyone has gone from a slide to a non-slide, and didn't instantly go foaming-at-the-mouth insane, tear off their pants, and run screaming through the campground naked from the waist down because they could not function without the extra space.

Really it all depends on the type of person you are. Do you accept and adapt to what you do have, or do you lament and bemoan what you don't have?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12 years, same camper no slide. I use the Lance 1055 over 100 nights a year. I have never felt cramped or felt the need to get a unit with a slide. Nothing to break and full use of the camper at all times works for me.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

12 years, same camper no slide. I use the Lance 1055 over 100 nights a year. I have never felt cramped or felt the need to get a unit with a slide. Nothing to break and full use of the camper at all times works for me.

So the camper you had before this one had a slide?

brholt

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an AF1150 with a full wall slide. Brother has an AF865 without a slide. I really like the 865 especially for a single person. However, for two people the slide makes a big difference as you can easily pass each other. In the 865 you are constantly getting in each other’s way.

One other note about the 865. For cold weather camping there is no heat vent in the bed area and as a mid bath design the heat is slow to get to the bedroom because of the narrow passageway.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/22 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

I really like the 865 especially for a single person. However, for two people the slide makes a big difference as you can easily pass each other. In the 865 you are constantly getting in each other’s way.

Where are you "constantly" going that you get in each other's way? Rarely is one of us standing in the aisle unless we are cooking. We can both work on cooking side by side, but typically we take turns cooking. It is a little tight but we can easily get by each other when needed.

We spend most days out hiking, exploring and photographing. By the end of the day there is not much standing going on, just a lot of sitting.

pirlbeck

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brholt wrote:

I have an AF1150 with a full wall slide. However, for two people the slide makes a big difference as you can easily pass each other. In the 865 you are constantly getting in each other’s way.

This is exactly what we run into with ours...whenever we need to pass by, someone needs to move into the dinette area a little. And it is not that we are huge people. If camping alone it would not be a problem.

2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Where are you "constantly" going that you get in each other's way?

I've heard a lot of people say they want room to pass easily. His comment was not at all unusual.

What's next ... they shouldn't buy a TC because it doesn't fit your definition of how they should be used?

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

So the camper you had before this one had a slide?

nope, used my friends that did. didn't see the need for a slide. We are two adults and 4 dogs. The 1055 fits our KISS principle. If it doesn't move it is less likely to fail. Plus I like being able to just pop into use the bathroom or get to the fridge by just opening the back door while on the road or if I see a spot to fish get to my gear.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Slide out to non slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.