Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Lifepo4 float setting?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lifepo4 float setting?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not had to deal with a float setting so far with PWM controllers but I have a Victron 75/15 coming tomorrow and reading up on the settings,it is confusing especially the float setting..Some say float will shorten the life of a LFP battery and others say hogwash..

Float at what setting for a 100ah LFP battery that settles at 3.3+..?

Any input welcome...

Lifepo4-380ah/Lithium NMC-140ah/Solar-400 watts/Wagan & Giandel PSW/Engel & Iceco 3-1 compressor fridge freezer/5K Window AC/Honda 2K

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't the battery maker have that info?

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Shouldn't the battery maker have that info?

For this particular battery,there impossible to communicate with and the reason why I did not buy another one of there batteries when I needed another..The battery I did get instead of there brand says float 13.8 which is higher than recommended everywhere I look..

I don't think some of these cheap batteries have very good customer service,some do,some don't.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then I wouldn't bother floating it. It's a miniscule amount more charge and Li's don't care if they're fully charged.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been said a bunch...pick your posion. Are you cycling them daily or storing the trailer for awhile then using it?

It will interesting after a 2-3 years with many new folks getting lfp what the survival rate will be of said batteries. With so much mixed info being regurgitated of how to use (charging, absorb, float) the batteries.

As long as you can get the cells to balance and have your SOC meter sync to the capacity of the battery bank occasionally life should be good.

What voltage is need for "your" batteries to accomplish this?

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,000+ cycles.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't see what PWM vs MPPT has to do with it. The battery doesn't care--solar is solar. Voltage goes down every night, which sort of counts as floating for any type of battery, depending on the scenario.

The concern over float voltage with LFPs seems to be more with converters left on for long periods. With solar, float voltage settings should also depend on the scenario? Is this just for when camping or for when the RV is sitting at home for long periods?

If the latter, the usual story is run the LFP down to 50% SOC and disconnect. Get your 12v from the converter.

While camping off grid on solar I guess it depends on how many days/weeks in a row and whether you get to full charge or not and even when during the day that is. It still gets dark at night though.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Don't see what PWM vs MPPT has to do with it.

With both of my Renogy PWM controllers,the float is not adjustable,it is preset to what the boost is which is adjustable..It appears with the Victron,float is adjustable as well as some other parameters the PWM will not let the user change..

I guess I could just leave it at the Victron lithium pre-set but was looking for the best settings for a generic LFP battery..Battleborn has all the recommended setting for there cylindrical cell battery and the Victron controller but I would think there is a difference in cylindrical and prismatic cells as small as it may be..

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

It's been said a bunch...pick your posion. Are you cycling them daily or storing the trailer for awhile then using it?

It will interesting after a 2-3 years with many new folks getting lfp what the survival rate will be of said batteries. With so much mixed info being regurgitated of how to use (charging, absorb, float) the batteries.

As long as you can get the cells to balance and have your SOC meter sync to the capacity of the battery bank occasionally life should be good.

What voltage is need for "your" batteries to accomplish this?

I am cycling daily..That battery is getting 24hr useage running the TC and compressor refer..I suppose I would just turn off float if it was possible...But not being possible,I am looking for the best setting if there is such a number..My guess would be for this battery somewhere around 13.3 and 13.5?????

Lwiddis

Owens River area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/22 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t float my Lithium battery nor do I store it at 100%. The gel battery setting may work.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/22 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/

If I had LiFePo4, and wanted MAXIMUM lifespan, I'd charge to 85%, not go lower than 40%, and disable float. If that is not possible, I'd float at 13.2. Unfortunately I can't use LiFePo4

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lifepo4 float setting?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.