cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lifepo4 float setting?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have not had to deal with a float setting so far with PWM controllers but I have a Victron 75/15 coming tomorrow and reading up on the settings,it is confusing especially the float setting..Some say float will shorten the life of a LFP battery and others say hogwash..

Float at what setting for a 100ah LFP battery that settles at 3.3+..?

Any input welcome...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
125 REPLIES 125

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
NVM signature gives the info

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Jaycocreek, I should mention that I have the Victron 150/100 MPPT controller. I assume you received a manual that shows default settings for LiFePO4 batteries. I made small adjustments to those default settings.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Captn...Awesome..I find others usage interesting and useful even though my setup is smaller..I am trying different float setting and watching the difference if any..It seems 13.4 float is working well with a 14.2 (Victron set) charge but less absorption than there pre-set..

I am running two compressor fridges 24/7 with one in freezer mode which draws more power and the other at 32 degrees along with everything off the TC on one 100ah LFP..I am only getting about 55-ish amp hours a day the way the weather is off of two 100 watt panels..

Trying to keep it in bulk mode as much as I can and why I asked this question to get the most power when the sun is out and overnight the batteries have enough juice for anything needed..

Thanks..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We are currently boondocking at 7853' elevation on the Mogollon Rim in AZ. I thought I would post a few numbers concerning Li batteries and solar charging.
Last overnight discharge - 232 AH
Solar yield yesterday - 8.06 KWH
Max solar power yesterday - 997 watts
Max solar voltage yesterday - 67.86 Volts
Max battery voltage yesterday - 13.73 Volts
Min battery voltage yesterday - 12.76 Volts
Power drain - 20 CF residential fridge, about 10 minutes microwave, TV until 11PM, LP furnace blower (chilly here at night).
See signature for equipment.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Wow..No clue really what you meant..LOL

Maybe poor wording on my part in that post..I meant it seems sometimes there is some looking down as in "what a stupid question" or"not again" and a lot of new LFP users blaw blaw blaw :B...Everyone started at one time or the other and if your a poster here, one would think helping others if you can or passing on what you went through or possibly "this is the setting I finally came up with" after years of testing..

No biggy but I do see the same posters from here on another DIY forum with quite different attitudes and no hesitation to pass out advice and numbers,but not here for some reason..

Enough of that huh..LOL

Not a problem just an observation..I'm good with it all and appreciate every response and bits of advice I get when asking a question..Over 50 years of rving and living off grid in some kind of rv and I still have the bug and love the new technology to play with..Oh and I do like to just listen to others discuss things to see what just might apply to my way of camping..

Well said and many thanks Sir for the added important clarity - Admittedly, I do find myself occasionally guilty of self-induced poor wording (uggโ€ฆ)!!

3 tons

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Wow..No clue really what you meant..LOL

Maybe poor wording on my part in that post..I meant it seems sometimes there is some looking down as in "what a stupid question" or"not again" and a lot of new LFP users blaw blaw blaw :B...Everyone started at one time or the other and if your a poster here, one would think helping others if you can or passing on what you went through or possibly "this is the setting I finally came up with" after years of testing..

No biggy but I do see the same posters from here on another DIY forum with quite different attitudes and no hesitation to pass out advice and numbers,but not here for some reason..

Enough of that huh..LOL

Not a problem just an observation..I'm good with it all and appreciate every response and bits of advice I get when asking a question..Over 50 years of rving and living off grid in some kind of rv and I still have the bug and love the new technology to play with..Oh and I do like to just listen to others discuss things to see what just might apply to my way of camping..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Jaycocreek said: โ€œSome here look down on others asking questions because maybe they respect some of the posters here and there opinions but it seems they forgot when they first started...โ€

Wrong Sir, what you mistakenly call โ€œlooking down on othersโ€ (imputing here my โ€˜personalโ€™ feelingsโ€ฆ) simply means โ€˜your fineโ€™ with battery-format topic shifting, and suggest that โ€˜anything goesโ€™ is fair play (a sorta reminder of the โ€˜wild westโ€™ - I donno?). Heck, who knows, one might assume that Elon Musk may soon be grappling with these same like-kind issues, but my guess is, itโ€™s kinda doubtful heโ€™ll be accused of โ€˜looking down on othersโ€™โ€ฆ

Either way, I mostly concur with your otherwise well intended vantage point (e.g. different outlooks work well for meโ€ฆ), though it mostly dismisses the possibility that forum abuse occurs, and that to engage in such might also be viewed as โ€˜looking down on othersโ€™ in their own quest to arrive at honest discourseโ€ฆPlease consider too, that I only raised this subject after an uber loooong string of unfettered grift - Though we may see things differently, seems I should be able to have my (possibly minorityโ€ฆ) dissent heard as wellโ€ฆJust sayingโ€ฆ:)

3 tons

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
A healthy discussion about lifepo4 benefits vs lead acid in all forms is good IMHO...There are some out there that do wonder but don't want to take the leap to lifepo4 because of the cost and the stories about cold weather etc...I was one of them a year ago..

Then the prices dropped and I took the plunge and am glad I did.My last 100ah lifepo4 battery cost less than $300..My top shelf group 24 agm cost $200 and some change..

Some here look down on others asking questions because maybe they respect some of the posters here and there opinions but it seems they forgot when they first started...I've been doing off grid living since my late teens mostly because of work and I have learned alot doing so...

But I'm all ears on these discussions to learn more about the new technology vs the cave man approach I started with way back before some current companies even existed with little to no choices for batteries..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
BFL13 wrote:
"I never mentioned any spicific vendor",

Here is what you said.

Me: I got that from the Solacity guy.

You: ya that is how a lot of the misconceptions around here got started. prople taking a sales pitch as gospel

To prove your knowledge that something is a misconception, you need to show your own measurements or a link to somebody else's.

that all you go out of that whole thing... and if you re read it again, maybe a little slower this time i didnt mention solacity you did, and I simply said genericaly thats how a lot of the misconceptions and yaddy dah..... sales blurbs are not data they are created to enhance certien areas of somthing your trying to sell and are very bias towards what they want to sell. a lot of time venders don't have a clue and they actualy make things up to sound important also. ran into that at a store here in town... guy knew nothing about solar panels except if he sold one he made x amount of bucks. this is why so many companies get taken to court for false advertising.

If I have to prove my knowlage, wouldn't it be easier just to link my university courses and marks.... or I could maybe just find some off th wall sale pitch that matches what I want to say I guess...... sounds more like a childish game of who's the kind of the castle to me... anyways theres a more interesting thread " thinking of getting a longer trailer" that I am going to go read....:R
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
More Cricketsโ€ฆ.lol (uggโ€ฆ)

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, Iโ€™d like a response, and would want to know (in light of many months of โ€˜posingโ€™ and endless โ€˜goal-post shiftingโ€™, ad nauseamโ€ฆ.. ), how this determined misbehavior can continue to be defended, or even loosely justified??โ€ฆI could easily go on - thus, why Iโ€™ve previously (though reluctantlyโ€ฆ) advised, โ€œdiscernment requiredโ€ - in my view, such apparent โ€˜gamesmanshipโ€™, and ceaseless red-herring misdirects undermines normal and legitimate enquiryโ€ฆJMO

3 tons

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Since thereโ€™s nary a LFP enquiry that comes up where either BFL or PT donโ€™t inject the heretofore โ€˜seemingly undeterminableโ€™ (??) virtues of SiO2โ€™s (rather than to tout on a dedicated SiO2 thread??โ€ฆ), except for the possible case of โ€˜morning after sicknessโ€™ (I donno?โ€ฆ..), I donโ€™t get their โ€˜shape-shiftingโ€™ like motivation, or their insatiable excursions into highly speculative โ€˜LFP nuanceโ€™ (โ€œlearningโ€ - Reallyโ€ฆ??) of a battery type that most others have long attested, while different, โ€˜are yet quite simple to operateโ€™ (BTW, by this juncture, reams of deep-dive transparency is widely accessible to those of serious interest - but not so much with SiO2โ€ฆ), and of a battery type neither one of which have posited even the least stated interest in procuring??

So maybe itโ€™s due to my simplistic mindset (kinda, โ€œif it looks like a duckโ€ฆโ€ thingy - lol!), but after whatโ€™s been (say, since discovery of their coveted SiO2โ€™sโ€ฆ) a relentless and never ending pattern of โ€˜uber rich in nuanceโ€™ ploys and rabbit-hole like LFP investigations, how long is one to keep feeding a most repetitive yet insatiable (in figurative terms) beast??

Therefore (over numerous monthsโ€ฆ), Iโ€™ve come to see these particular repeating enquiries as mostly (if not even abjectly) disingenuous (note: but always couched within the usual patina of sincerity), or maybe associated with a mischievous computer keyboard addiction employed to โ€˜captureโ€™ folks otherwise scarce timeโ€ฆAdmittedly, JMHO after many studied observations - trolling for attention is the road to nowhereโ€ฆ

3 tons

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I found this of interest. Note the voltage drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dmWqHR7b9w
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I never mentioned any spicific vendor",

Here is what you said.

Me: I got that from the Solacity guy.

You: ya that is how a lot of the misconceptions around here got started. prople taking a sales pitch as gospel

To prove your knowledge that something is a misconception, you need to show your own measurements or a link to somebody else's.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
BFL13 wrote:
StirCrazy if your claim is that the Solacity guy's info is just a sales pitch with wrong info about LFPs, it is your job to provide links to the correct, more credible, version of that information to prove your claim.

So let's see some graphs and tables you LFP guys have made from your measurements and indicate how you got those numbers so they can be peer reviewed here by guys who can see if your results are credible.

I never mentioned any spicific vendor, and like I said a lot are getting better now. would be nice if you included the original quote in your replies so the whole context is there.

and you'll never see me make a graph on the preformance of my GC2 batteries or My LiFePO4 bank as I just don't care enough to get that geeked out on them. I don't need a graph to tell me that just switching the batteries and profiles on my charger cut two hours off a 100% charge that used to take 6 hours. they work, I know how and thats whats important. I don't play around with partial charges, I charge to 100% then float at 13.6, when there is a float. when I come home I run them down to under 90% and unplug them... I figure i'll die before they do, or at least I won't be able to rv anymore by then so I don't care about getting 8000 cycles instead of the 3500.

incase you haven't noticed the only time I realy post on them anymore is when some one is trying to use false/misleading information about them. and even now I am realy starting not to car anymore... maybe everyone should go out and buy a SiO2 that has one good quality... cold weather chrging........

I don't mind reading your posts, your actualy trying to learn as aposed to someone else, I just see you getting overly focused on things that in the end doesnt matter to the average user, but I see what your trying to learn.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100