cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spare tire pressure

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
The four tires on my travel trailer specify 80 pounds each tire the spare tire only is rated for 65 pounds is this correct?
25 REPLIES 25

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'd make the dealer solve the problem and let them deal with getting reimbursed from the manufacturer.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
Off topic, but kind of related; Spare tire on TV. Most people at least look at tires on the ground every day but often do not check the spare. I always air my spare up to max sidewall on the theory it is more likely to have enough when I need it. Yes, I have a compressor, can air up spare. But it is quicker to reduce pressure and over inflated is safer than under inflated.

SOP with me.

After every trip I crawl underneath with a mechanics mirror and flashlight, looking for anything amiss (stick or branch wedged up somewhere, chunk of mud, loose nuts, wear spot on wiring or piping, etc. Check pressure while under there. A cheap Walmart yoga mat saves your clothes and back from the inevitable thorns and sharp rocks on the ground.

I also do not wait until the day of departure from a campsite to check underneath. I check it the first morning there. Then I have several days to fix any problem rather than have my itinerary delayed from a problem discovered on day of departure.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RCMAN46 wrote:
My trailer and TV have TPMS. I added a TPMS sensor on the trailer spare and the TV spare.

As mentioned it is easy to overlook the spare tire. This way I will be warned if either spare is low on pressure.

Ok??
Relevance to rating on spare tire vs other tires on the vehicle?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer and TV have TPMS. I added a TPMS sensor on the trailer spare and the TV spare.

As mentioned it is easy to overlook the spare tire. This way I will be warned if either spare is low on pressure.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Skipg wrote:
I would like to think that it was a mistake and not a common practice

Is there a reason you donโ€™t answer questions that providing the information for would help you better understand what your actual needs are? Especially considering your first post was asking for help understanding what your actual needs are?

There are vehicles that donโ€™t come with the same spare tire as the ones on the ground. For various reasons of course. Not saying this is the case for sure in your case. But since you donโ€™t provide any specific info asked (asked to help you answer your initial question of course), I can reasonably surmise based on what little info you provided that itโ€™s a TT. And itโ€™s a 15โ€ wheel. And the gvw of your TT is probably 10-11klbs or less and that a D rated 15โ€ ST tire would likely be of sufficient capacity based on the numbers. (Numbers which would not require supposition but if not for ^)

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like an Amish craftsman goofed up.......

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Class C with dual rear tires, so I had 6 TST senders. When I sold my Class C and got a dual axle TT, I had 2 senders left over, so I put one on the TT spare and one on the TV spare. I always know if either spare needs air.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JRscooby wrote:
Off topic, but kind of related; Spare tire on TV. Most people at least look at tires on the ground every day but often do not check the spare. I always air my spare up to max sidewall on the theory it is more likely to have enough when I need it. Yes, I have a compressor, can air up spare. But it is quicker to reduce pressure and over inflated is safer than under inflated.

Good Point ! I do this once a month during tow season..... I learned the HARD way.. had a flat and put a spare on that was under inflated...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RV dealers and even car/truck dealers have cannibalized one units tires/wheels or just a spare to get a current owner on the road or a make the sale.
Noting was said about the trailer axle ratings or its gvwr so no telling what the actual OEM tire story was for the OP unit.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to think that it was a mistake and not a common practice

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
How heavy is the trailer?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Clearly it wasn't their first report. I wonder how many they will get away with.

Have them put that in writing... Never take the word from a phone call...... Just sayin
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet