Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Renting out your RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Renting out your RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I bought our motorhome and called for insurance, the first thing the agent said to me was that if I rented it that I was not covered. If I had plans to rent it I would need to find another company.

2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

erniee

Weatherford, Texas 76086

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never

Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/22 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to buy cheap used RVs and do most of the work yourself (keeping them operational not necessarily pretty), you can make money but it's a business and it is work.

Our personal rig...not a chance.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RJL

Manahawkin, New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/22 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the input all. Truth be told, I'm thinking of selling our MH and would just about break even. This rental thing has me thinking though. Maybe make a bit of money with it.

2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

atsrmf

Indio

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJL wrote:

Thank you for the input all. Truth be told, I'm thinking of selling our MH and would just about break even. This rental thing has me thinking though. Maybe make a bit of money with it.

Don't do it! Quit while you are even, invest in the Vanguard 500 or a good mutual fund to make a little money.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJL wrote:

You'll make money but at what cost? Overhead plus depreciation will eclipse any profit you would make selling it outright.

Ex, your rig is over 10 years old. If you make a few grand renting it but it depreciates (wear and tear, damage) beyond what you can now sell it for, plus the cost of doing business and repairs, why bother?

Unless you don't care about it and are ok with renting it til the wheels fall off and then sell it for pennies. But you won't make more net cash on the rental than what you would sell it for now. You'd have to rent it non stop for a year and a 10 year old RV won't survive that.

Rental companies buy stripped down RV's, rent them for a few years and sell them at wholesale prices. Built into that model is all the overhead I mentioned before. That business model doesn't really align with leveraging an older, production, consumer owned, RV.

On edit: you also have to consider whether people will want to rent your RV. It's 12 years old. No offense but there are a lot more newer RV's out there for rent so I think to make it attractive you'll have to rent for less than what your competitors are. That will invite a clientele you don't want.

* This post was edited 05/05/22 11:07am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Lwiddis

Near Mammoth, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/22 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason I have an RV is avoid hotels as much as possible. Not make money.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/22 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJL wrote:

RV's are depreciating assets...if you can sell and break even you are doing far better than average. Take the money and run.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/22 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I see the question, on the forum, about renting your RV I think of a response from several years ago.

Q: What is the difference between an all terrain vehicle and a rental RV?

A: The rental RV can go xanywhere.

map40

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/22 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big player in the industry is Cruise America. They custom build their coaches to bear minimun. No TV, no backup camera, no steps, no transfer switch, all high strenght upholstery, cloth blinds, fuel tank access hatch, automatic tow mode activation and many more. Why? Because things break. I had a fleet and very rearly did we have somebody who mistreated the RVs, but lack of knowledge was always a problem.
I learned that an RV to rent is like a propperty to rent. It is equipped and set up for rent. Not for you to live in in. If it breaks you have no personal attachment, it is an asset.
Can you make money? Yes. Just make sure that you make enough money yo "pay off" the entire RV in 5 years. The worst mistake is to buy an RV on a 20 year loan and end in 5 years with an RV heavily used with 100k miles and still 15 years left on the loan.

Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Renting out your RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.