cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Satellite Dish

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have 2 Wallys in our motorhome that we use with a Winegard t4 satellite dome.
We hate that each Wally is confined to one satellite. We have now bought a rv lot to use and want to install a fixed ground based satellite dish that receives all 3 satellites and will allow each Wally to watch any satellite.

We have dish hopper 3 at home and the installer stated our Wallys would not work with the satellite dish at home. What type of dish and lab should I buy for the rv lot. Thanks
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
10 REPLIES 10

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Actually, the dish you have at home will work with the Wallys. It just won't work with them and the H3 at the same time.

A Hopper 3 and a Wally can work with a DISH 1000.2 antenna. But it's a bit complicated . . .

Besides buying a DISH 1000.2, you also need a DPP44 switch and a DPH42 switch + all the RG6 cable connections.

(In the graphic below, just substitute a Wally for the VIP receivers.)

You're right of course, Tom. I took the OP as referring to direct connections to the LNB.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Actually, the dish you have at home will work with the Wallys. It just won't work with them and the H3 at the same time.

A Hopper 3 and a Wally can work with a DISH 1000.2 antenna. But it's a bit complicated . . .

Besides buying a DISH 1000.2, you also need a DPP44 switch and a DPH42 switch + all the RG6 cable connections.

(In the graphic below, just substitute a Wally for the VIP receivers.)

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Just get the antenna mount plumb and level and use a compass or pointing app on your phone. Set the skew first and then move slowly in the correct general direction. Some needs to see the signal strength on the TV screen and communicate with you.

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch,

Thanks that was the info I needed. Will buy 1000.2 dish with western arc 3 lnb since I will be in Texas. Is it difficult to aim the dish for all 3 satellites.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

LouLawrence wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
We used to use the Dish Pathway X2 . . It allows you to watch ALL 3 satellites and will work on eastern arch or western arch. It also has 2 output ports - 1 for the main, and 1 for secondary.

The issue will be that whatever satellite the MAIN receiver is on is the satellite that the secondary will get stations at the same time ..SO, if your watching 2 TV;s and all is good.... IF the person on the main receiver changes the channel to watch something different, if that show is on a different satellite, the person watching the secondary TV will loose their signal.

I believe that's what the OP was trying to explain he hates and is why he wants a standard antenna with 3 LNB's.

Yea, I read it as though it would only get 1 satellite..... It would not be the first time that I didn't comprehend what I read.... just ask my wife :S
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:
We currently have 2 Wallys in our motorhome that we use with a Winegard t4 satellite dome.
We hate that each Wally is confined to one satellite. We have now bought a rv lot to use and want to install a fixed ground based satellite dish that receives all 3 satellites and will allow each Wally to watch any satellite.

We have dish hopper 3 at home and the installer stated our Wallys would not work with the satellite dish at home. What type of dish and lab should I buy for the rv lot. Thanks

For your RV lot you install the exact same antenna type you have at home and use your Wally's or you can bring your Hopper/Joey setup from home when you travel.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
We used to use the Dish Pathway X2 . . It allows you to watch ALL 3 satellites and will work on eastern arch or western arch. It also has 2 output ports - 1 for the main, and 1 for secondary.

The issue will be that whatever satellite the MAIN receiver is on is the satellite that the secondary will get stations at the same time ..SO, if your watching 2 TV;s and all is good.... IF the person on the main receiver changes the channel to watch something different, if that show is on a different satellite, the person watching the secondary TV will loose their signal.

I believe that's what the OP was trying to explain he hates and is why he wants a standard antenna with 3 LNB's.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have 2 of the Vip 211 receivers that predate the current Wally version and have never had an issue when manually setting up our own satellite antenna, which is the same one Dish mounted on our roof. The Wally/Vip receivers might not integrate with a home based hopper system, but if separately fed a satellite signal it would work in your home.

We manually set up our own satellite antenna when RVing, been doing it so long it is quite easy once you get the hang of it. Best thing is all satellites can be accessed at the same time by each receiver, we just purchased the same satellite antenna we have at home online for about $50, initially we used a homemade stand, got a tripod to simplify setup and storage.

We recently purchased a used class A and owners threw in 2 King Pro satellite domes, one for Directv and one for Dish. Surprisingly, they both have worked great, I converted the Directv dome to Dish. Although both domes are roof mounted, they can be removed with a single pin, now bedroom and living room TVs have their own, separate access to all 3 satellites, thus all channels.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the dish you have at home will work with the Wallys. It just won't work with them and the H3 at the same time. A standard Dish 1000.2 dish mounted on a plumb 1-5/8" pole will work at your RV lot. Whether you need an eastern (2 "eyes) or western arc (3 "eyes") LNB depends on the available satellite view at your site.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate