Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on Best Type of Internet

bsteinagel
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I am in the beginning stages of exploring RV living. I am fortunate to have a job in the healthcare industry that is 100% work from home. This requires that I have RELIABLE internet at all times. I am currently exploring satellite internet options. StarLink is very intriguing, although currently not available where I'm at in southern Arizona, although that will change in the future. My plan is to spend winters in AZ while spending the summers in WI so having an internet option that is flexible with location is a must. I've heard that satellite internet only works in certain regions--if you travel outside of your region your equipment won't work anymore. Can anyone confirm this?

Also:
If any of you have satellite internet, how reliable is it in overcast/rainy weather?

If satellite isn't the best option, what would be a better alternative?

I'm curious to hear others' experiences with internet and what works best for them. Thank you in advance for your time!

Brad
17 REPLIES 17

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you "MUST" have internet, then you MUST have multiple source.

I have a cell based router #1
Work cell #2
Personal cell #3
Park Wifi #4

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
wires wrote:

For 'normal' use I run my cell connection in a backup configuration. If Starlink has an issue my router will almost instantly changeover so a Teams call might hang for a few seconds then it's back online.

For 'important' calls (i.e. presenting to a large audience) I can set the router to run Starlink and cell in tandem. The data is split across both connections and if one drops packets you don't notice because the other path was still intact.

Sorry bud, I don't want get deep on this, but this doesn't work this way, backup works, (failover is not instant, it takes time for a connection to be determined to not be working)

tandem also does not work remotely that way. what your trying to describe is called bonding, which is required on both sides of the connection, data is not split for a single connection, its more of a round robin setup, where each connection gets a different path.

i would be surprised if your cell is barely being used at all.

i just don't want people to think your doing some kind of miracles with your router. your simply doing load balancing.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Satellite internet IS THE FUTURE and for some lucky individuals it is here now. It is not as reliable as a landline.

Perhaps the future for areas so remote there isn't even Cell Service.

Where I live the "Future" appears to be in 5G Home Internet as being marketed by T-Mobile (and others I guess). Far less expensive to install Cell Towers that can serve thousands than bury fiber optic lines or coax for "cable" systems. 35-115 mbps depending on plan ($30-$50/mo).

Satellite will still be the only option for those who like to live or camp in remote areas just like Sat Phones were the only option when Cell Service wasn't even available.

The "perfect system" will of course depend on what one's specific needs are. A long retired individual like me can get by with a Cell Phone Hotspot. Since I really don't need Internet at all times, and my travels often take me totally off-grid, I carry an InReach Mini for emergency communications.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

bsteinagel
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If you will be stationary for 6months then stationary for 6months, a lot of parks, you can get a landline brought to the trailer. This is your best bet.

If you will be moving around, cellular is likely your best bet.

Big question is beyond reliability, how fast and how much data do you need? Just because you are on the computer all day doesn't necessarily mean you need a plan that is really fast or needs massive amounts of data.

I agree. I think reliability is more important than speed in this case. I think a land line is the best option if I'm stationary for extended periods. Seems to be the most reliable option.

bsteinagel
Explorer
Explorer
wires wrote:

I RV fulltime and work remote spending an average of 4 hours every day on Teams meetings. I also frequently need to send and receive very large files. I currently use Starlink along with cellular data as a backup. I use a Pepwave Max Transit router and it can be programmed to use the cell data in tandem or as a fallback if Starlink is down.

I've been running this configuration since December and have travelled from Nevada to Indiana. So far it has been rock solid and works as well as the hard-wired DSL in my former home.

I'd rate my Starlink connectivity 99 out of 100. Based on data from its configuration app and also from my router logs I average less than one minute of down time per day. The only time I've seen the connection drop from rain has been if it's a torrential downpour and then usually only for a very brief time. For normal-to-heavy rain I haven't observed any interruptions.

For 'normal' use I run my cell connection in a backup configuration. If Starlink has an issue my router will almost instantly changeover so a Teams call might hang for a few seconds then it's back online.

For 'important' calls (i.e. presenting to a large audience) I can set the router to run Starlink and cell in tandem. The data is split across both connections and if one drops packets you don't notice because the other path was still intact.

The router I use is also configurable for traffic routing. I have mine set up so that the TVs and Directv receiver can only use the Starlink connection. That way video streaming can only utilize the unlimited Starlink data. My cell data is reserved and can only be used by my PCs.

Before I received my Starlink setup I had the Pepwave router, but the model I have only supports a single cell connection at a time (with another carrier as a backup). Over an average day I would typically run into a couple of disconnects/reconnects which caused brief interruptions in my Teams calls.

Based on my experiences, if you need 100% rock solid connectivity for work I suggest a system which supports two simultaneous connections. You'll either need a cell router which supports two active cell connections, or Starlink into a router with a cell backup.

If you'd like to discuss hardware or configuration in more detail please feel free to PM me.

This sounds like a very intriguing option. I'm comfortable with technology so this is something that is doable for me.

bsteinagel
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Lots of good advice here and lots of responses. Lots to think about. Thank you!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use cell based routers. I also have a hot spot on my work cell, and personal cell. If all that fails, I can attempt to use park wifi.

At my permanent park model, I have a night hawk cell router. In the 5th wheel, I have the winegard cell router. Both give me fantastic speeds.

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Satellite internet IS THE FUTURE

Not really, companies such as the former Level3 and quite a few others spent over a decade and billions of dollars running fiber networks all over the US. I don't think you'll see anyone digging up or ripping things down off utility poles for awhile, if ever.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I can only speak for Hughesnet and I would not wish it on my worst enemy. I had their service for 4 years because it was our only option but what they promised and what I got was not the same. I was supposed to be getting 20 mbps but the average was closer to 3 mbps and that doesn't even include ping latency

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
wires wrote:

Very cool concept !

wires
Explorer
Explorer
bsteinagel wrote:

If any of you have satellite internet, how reliable is it in overcast/rainy weather?

If satellite isn't the best option, what would be a better alternative?

I'm curious to hear others' experiences with internet and what works best for them. Thank you in advance for your time!

Brad

I RV fulltime and work remote spending an average of 4 hours every day on Teams meetings. I also frequently need to send and receive very large files. I currently use Starlink along with cellular data as a backup. I use a Pepwave Max Transit router and it can be programmed to use the cell data in tandem or as a fallback if Starlink is down.

I've been running this configuration since December and have travelled from Nevada to Indiana. So far it has been rock solid and works as well as the hard-wired DSL in my former home.

I'd rate my Starlink connectivity 99 out of 100. Based on data from its configuration app and also from my router logs I average less than one minute of down time per day. The only time I've seen the connection drop from rain has been if it's a torrential downpour and then usually only for a very brief time. For normal-to-heavy rain I haven't observed any interruptions.

The router I use is also configurable for traffic routing. I have mine set up so that the TVs and Directv receiver can only use the Starlink connection. That way video streaming can only utilize the unlimited Starlink data. My cell data is reserved and can only be used by my PCs.

Before I received my Starlink setup I had the Pepwave router, but the model I have only supports a single cell connection at a time (with another carrier as a backup). Over an average day I would typically run into a couple of disconnects/reconnects which caused brief interruptions in my Teams calls.

Based on my experiences, if you need 100% rock solid connectivity for work I suggest a system which supports two simultaneous connections. You'll either need a cell router which supports two active cell connections, or Starlink into a router with a cell backup.

If you'd like to discuss hardware or configuration in more detail please feel free to PM me.
2022 Solitude 375RES-R
2021 Ford F450

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you will be stationary for 6months then stationary for 6months, a lot of parks, you can get a landline brought to the trailer. This is your best bet.

If you will be moving around, cellular is likely your best bet.

Big question is beyond reliability, how fast and how much data do you need? Just because you are on the computer all day doesn't necessarily mean you need a plan that is really fast or needs massive amounts of data.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Starlink has just introduced a "roaming service" option that lets you move from place to place for an extra $25/mo with no caps. That makes the monthly fee $135 plus the $599 initial equipment fee. The roaming service is only for stationary use though, not mobile use.

note: "not mobile" means it's not to be used while you are in a moving vehicle.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cable, ADSL, and all "Wire" or Fiber services. Unless your are perma-parked (do not move) are not for RVs as they don't move with you .. This leaves wireless services.

park Wi-Fi Iffy at best few parks have decent wi-fi

Cell Phone: getting better but again many parks are not in areas of good coverage or may be served by only one provider... Multiple accounts across different networks.. T-mobile. Verizion and AT&T is the best way to do cell but..... Still not 100%

2-Way Satellite is fairly reliable but Hughes net has a few things like speed, data lmits and "ping time" Star Link JUST announced their new "Star Link Mobile" or whatever they are calling it and looks interesting but I'm no longer in a position to check it out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times