cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to Canada in a Camper?

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
If all goes well our truck camper trip north will take us up into Canada later this year. If I understand right we can drive our Montana-registered truck camper in Canada as long as we have a valid tourist visa, but will have to obtain temporary Canadian insurance for our truck, right? But am not sure what other paperwork if any we will need to have with us to present at the border - or do you just drive straight through without having to stop and show vehicle paperwork unless you intend to import the vehicle into Canada, which we donโ€™t, as weโ€™ll return to USA after we have had a look at the nature and culture of the northern neighbours.
7 REPLIES 7

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
From 2009 thru December 2016, the Canadian government did require citizens of Mexico to obtain a tourist visa but that is no longer the case, just a passport and proof of full covid vaccination would be the minimum requirement at the discretion of the CBSA customs officer as far as an individual status goes for permitted entry in Canada upon visiting -

Citizens of other countries may have to obtain a visiting visa as the Canadian government has a listing of who is required to do so, however US and Mexico citizens are two of many countries that do not require a visitors visa to enter Canada ...

As long as the Montana registered vehicle at hand has valid insurance coverage within the United States, most every US insurance carrier will honor the coverage while visiting Canada nowadays without obtaining additional coverage cards, endorsements, etc.

As noted, others had posted most insurance carriers as it is best to check one's policy of insurance carrier to verify if the policy itself does not clearly state included coverage in Canada...

My insurance carrier did require temporary permit cards for additional coverage in Canada valid for 30 days, at no additional charge when requesting for one as deemed under Canadian law....

The main reason behind it was : Canada coverage requirements were much higher than US carriers (at the time) -

-Alaska liability minimum $100,000 USD
-Alaska property damage minimum $25,000 USD

-Canada liability minimum $200,000 CAD
-Canada property damage minimum $50,000 CAD

My insurance carrier finally stopped issuing the temporary permit cards practice in 2017 as some major US carriers already started to automatically include coverage within Canada anyway, however each carrier still potentially had their own set of rules upon declaring operating said vehicle in Canada or what have you...

I was asked for proof of insurance twice ever while in Canada...

First time was entering Canada at Beaver Creek Yukon in 1991 as the CBSA officer wanted to see proof of insurance as I just obtained an insurance policy and showed it to the customs officer - the officer called out that it didn't show Canadian coverage as I pointed out an endorsement document inside the policy paperwork which stated minimum Canadian coverage limits valid for 30 days as the officer was satisfied...

Second time was in 2013 just 2 km west of the Cassiar Hwy Junction on the Alaska Highway in the Yukon with this unexpected mandatory checkpoint road block courtesy of a joint venture by the RCMP's and the Yukon Wildlife Conservation checking vehicle registrations, valid driver licenses, hunting license-permits, and proof of insurance in both directions :

I submitted my driver license and proof of insurance but could not find my vehicle registration for three minutes as they would not permit me thru until I found it, in which I found the Canadian coverage temporary permit card inside the registration and surrendered it to the officer as she stated "what is this, I never seen any Canadian coverage temporary permit insurance card before".

So as others pointed out reference to permits, visa requirements or additional insurance coverage for Canada, hope the OP is reassured it is not a necessary requirement for permitted entry in Canada...

The CBSA are not the insurance enforcement police as most every time they will not ask for proof of insurance, however they have the power to inquire asking for proof of insurance for compliance check measures at their discretion.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I just contacted my insurance agent and they provided me with a document stating that I had coverage in Canada. It came with a nice little holder that was big enough to include my registration.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are a US citizen and it's a US registered truck with US insurance...you are overthinking things.

You might double check your insurance to make sure it covers Canada but most do.

Otherwise, you can just drive in.

If you or the RV are not US, rules may be different.

PS: Covid rules would be a separate subject. Check on the food import rules. Won't stop you from getting in but they may clear out a big chunk of your fridge if it doesn't meet the rules.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Canadian Customs can ask for insurance covering your vehicle while in Canada. We just called our State Farm agent and they emailed us a statement saying it was covered.

You don't need a tourist visa, but pay attention to their Covid vaccine/testing requirements.

No one is going to question you about importing your vehicle for sale in Canada.

If you have a gun and insist on taking it, follow their rules. Not following them will probably get you in more trouble than anything else. I have a friend who insisted on taking his pistol. He got arrested and and lost his TC.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Just after I posted, I noticed you are connected to Mexico, so unsure of your vehicle insurance status.

Will the vehicle you intend to drive into Canada already have U.S., or other, insurance which allows you to take it into Canada (that is between you and your insurer)? If so, no further insurance is required. Regardless, you have to have proper insurance on your vehicle to enter Canada.

The only temporary (Canadian) insurance for foreigners who wish to drive in Canada, that I know of, is related to visitors who, after arrival, wish to drive a Canadian registered/insured vehicle and wish to have temporary insurance to do so. This type of insurance can be obtained from a Canadian based insurance company (depending on province, some are private, while other are government).

But I know of no Canadian-based insurer who will insure a foreigner who wishes to enter the country with their own vehicle for a holiday.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do,

Marv

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Unless things have markedly changed since I was a cop (in BC, can't speak to other provinces), you don't need temporary insurance, unless you have no insurance on your vehicle from it's home district. Uninsured vehicles can't be driven up here.

As to other documentation, a passport and proof of vaccination (and completion of ArriveCan - filled out on-line). This presumes current vaccination conditions perpetuate, but as this trip is planned later in the year, things may change so best to monitor as your travel date arrives.

Marv

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Insurance varies from State to State.

In Saskatchewan, the insurance covers me in North America.

I suggest contacting the local Department of Motor Vehicles.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.