cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add USB to my existing DVD player

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I tried to look into this but I keep getting stuck in rabbit holes so I thought I would ask here.

My trailer (circa 2005) has a DVD player that plays out to the 5.1 speakers. I want to somehow add the ability to play a movie off a USB stick.

My criteria:
Hopefully under $100 USD but I could go higher
Play 5.1 through the existing speakers
Play movies off a USB stick or USB drive/small computer
A remote control if possible

I don't mind replacing the existing player as long as I can somehow hook up the speakers.

I have all the movies both on DVD and also on a drive in different formats (mpeg, avi etc)

I could possibly use my laptop, but it only has VGA and headphone out

How can I make it work so I can keep my 5.1 speakers and play movies off the USB drive?

The pictures below are what I have today. I can re-purpose the audio-in plugs as the item using them is getting thrown away soon.

Bottom picture is just the inputs available on the bottom of the computer monitor,

Thanks
Edited to make the pictures smaller and prevent scrolling
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
8 REPLIES 8

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your bluray player most likely will have a USB port on it but you may need to look up exactly what file types it will play using the model number. Sometimes the manufacturers will not include decoding of all possible versions of video files in order to save licensing costs.

Additionally if it hasn't been used for some time, it may need to connect to the Internet to get newest updates for that player model in order to play anything at all. Ran into that one on a Sony BR player which refused to play even DVDs until it was connected to the Internet to get updated..

Sort of the reason I mentioned the standalone media players, no updates or Internet needed for them..

Try your BR first though, since you have it on hand and have nothing to loose.

You could try a search for "home theater", as that is what the 5.1 stereos were called many yrs ago that had the built in DVD players.. Not sure if you will find them new anymore as most manufacturers discontinued making them. Sort of the reason for a separate two piece setup..

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
1492, thanks for the detailed post. I don't really need the Bluray as I think I have a total of 1 disc in my collection.

But wait as I'm typing this I just realized I already have a Bluray player in the garage. I seem to remember it was slow to change menus and suc so i never used it much. But now I'm going to have to dig it out of the garage and try it out.

If my existing Bluray player works then I just need the Pyle HDMI to 5.1 converter.

Fizz, you are correct that those are USB ports on the bottom of the monitor. Unfortunately it's just a monitor so if I plug a drive in I have no way to access it.

Thanks also to Gdetrailer, MitchF150 and BB_TX for taking the time to come up with alternative solutions. For all I know my Bluray player idea might be a bust.

Thanks again
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks for the ideas I had a feeling my old player was going to have to go.

As mentioned, the Executive DVD has a built-in amp. You'll have to replace the setup. For compatibility with your 5.1 speaker setup, you may want to look at something like this to keep costs reasonable.

If you want to play both USB video/DVD, then you'll need a player like this:

Panasonic DVD Player $49.99

Or if you want Bluray/DVD/USB video, then a player like:

Ultra Mini Blu Ray DVD Player $89.99

You'll need to connect the HDMI video output of the player into the HDMI input of a 5.1 receiver like:

Wireless Bluetooth Home Audio Amplifier - 100W 5.1 Channel $122.30

Finally, connect the HDMI output above to the HDMI input on your monitor. Or if you don't have HDMI, use an HDMI female to DVI-D male adapter $5.98.

Cost would be from $172.29 to $212.29, plus HDMI cables and DVI-D adapter if needed.

Your other option is to check Goodwill. I've bought a Sony mini Bluray player for $15. And a Yamaha Dolby 5.1 receiver for $10. No remotes included, though generic ones are cheap. Both work fine.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My old no-name DVD/5.1 surround sound system in my 2007 5er died years ago. Mine was mounted in a wide but shallow height slot under the TV. So size was an issue. But a trip to Best Buy and I came home with a Bluray DVD 5.1 surround sound home theater system that fit perfectly. The new system also came with new speakers just slightly larger than the old ones. So I had to slightly widen the openings in the cabinet, but not a big issue. Reused the existing wiring. And could have reused the old speakers, but the new ones were better. And sounded much better.

I donโ€™t think it had USB but that was 10 years ago. And I sold the 5er so canโ€™t look.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
I see a USB port in that bottom picture.
If that is your TV or monitor can't you simply plug the USB thumb drive in there.
That's what I do on my Samsung TV.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
A quick search came up with this for your RCA connectors on your current player.

I see you also have the "Composite" connectors (red,green,blue,video), but I didn't see any usb adapter for that off the bat..

The RCA will probably only get you "right/left" sound out of your 5.1 setup..

But, it 'might' work??

Good luck!

Mitch

Composite will probably only do the same thing too..
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short answer, you can't do it with your current device.

To make things more complicated, your current device seems to have speaker amps and perhaps 5.1 surround builtin so if you remove that device, you have no speaker amps and no 5.1 decoding.

You could replace with a car stereo that supports video playback via USB (not even sure if such a device exists outside of junk RV stuff like Jensen) but you will lose 5.1 surround playback (it will play in stereo mode). Most newer car stereos will have a subwoofer output jack, but that means you will need to add an external subwoofer amp.

Not aware of any direct replacement that won't be a pain and a bunch of wiring since now days the old style A/V 5.1 receivers with DVD are no longer in production and those didn't support USB playback.

The best possible way will require a A/V 5.1 receiver (120V) with a HDMI capable of bidirectional configuration (allows HDMI video input to the receiver) and then a standalone Media Player with HDMI output to plug into said receiver.

Something like this..

Found HERE

Just be aware, media players sometimes have limited video file types so you may need to convert some or all of your video files to a format that the player will play..