cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anode rod help

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still new to this anode rod business as we've always had an Atwood water heater...

So tell me - is this normal and should it be replaced now?

We're afraid that it will keep getting thinner at that one spot and then fall off in the water heater. Is that possible?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
10 REPLIES 10

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
Depending on use you can get 3-4 years out of one. Only once did I ever get a year out of one! That still has at least one probably 2 years left I it. Once you get near the metal rod (1/8โ€ rod) then itโ€™s time to replace it.

Water quality makes a huge difference in how long they last.

In my locale, they only last about a year.

Suburban also sells a version that uses aluminum, instead of magnesium - It lasts longer, but isn't as aggressive in preventing tank corrosion.

Suburban Magnesium Anode: P/N #232767
Suburban Aluminum Anode: P/N #232768

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your anode is perfectly fine!!! Re install it and check once a year. Mine is at least 6 years and and looks basically like yours.

Get a small tube to flush out the tank every time. Don't forget to turn off the power before draining your tank.

Anode deterioration is all about the quality of water. I am mostly west Coast and the water is awesome!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on use you can get 3-4 years out of one. Only once did I ever get a year out of one! That still has at least one probably 2 years left I it. Once you get near the metal rod (1/8โ€ rod) then itโ€™s time to replace it.

You want to be really shocked? Flush it out with a water hose with an attachment that has a stream. I just flushed mine and got a ton of crud out of it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

We do drain it when not using and we use a magnesium rod. I learned those things here - we used to have an aluminum rod and it never wore out.

So - we won't worry that it will break off in the water heater - very good to know!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
By you picture. Not yet. It is working. The water attacks your anode rod instead of the hot water tank. I check mine every 6 months as a full timer. In some areas the water is more corrosive than in others, so if you travel check it often. You don't want holes in your tank. Be sure to have a spare one, so you can change it if needed. Be sure to get the right one. There are 2 different metals the rod is made of. I have a Suburban so mine might be different than yours. If you know which one you need....great. If not look it up on the internet using your brand name and model on the internet.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
when I pull mine for winter prep, if they are worn to about 1/2 the diamiter I change them. when I lived on the island that was about every year or two up here we have better city water, so its every 3 to 4 years.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Explorer II
Explorer II
As Roger said, there is a wire coat hanger size rod in the center holding it to the cap. I replace mine when the only thing left is the rod.

You have a long way to go to get there
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
When your hot water starts to smell like rotten eggs, it's time to change it. I keep spares in my RV. I find they last about a year but it really depends on the water.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is not much chance of it breaking off,there is a steel rod running thru the middle. This one is just starting to show some usage.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had one break. Yours looks quite normal and has plenty of life left in it. Your manual states to drain the tank when not in use (for a while). This will extend the life of the anode rod.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT