cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Junction Colorado Traveling North on CO-139

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Out of Grand Junction i.e. (Fruta-Loma) on Colorado 139 up to Rangely Colorado, how is the road? Mountainous-steep grades etc. Please let me know. We've an event in Vernal, UT and have chosen this route. Thanks to all in advance that reply.
4 REPLIES 4

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We also drove this route several years ago pulling a 35' fifth wheel. Douglas Pass is one of the more "serious" passes in Colorado. I did not have any difficulty and felt no lack of control, but I have a good deal of experience in mountain driving. I would not hesitate to make this route again pulling a fifth wheel.

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We drove it last year pulling a 40' fifth wheel. Wasn't a bad pull over the pass if you are comfortable with mountain driving. The road surface between the pass and Rangely was really bad. Had to slow down to 45 in the flats, was worried about breaking trailer suspension.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
it's a great drive via car or suv, but not for trailers or motorhomes. I guess you could do it with a casita or something that size.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you purchase and download a copy of The Mountain Directory (or get The Trucker's Atlas), you could answer these questions yourself. Going north on 139 from Grand Junction, you'll have to contend with Douglass Pass. The route involves 3 miles of steady 7 - 8% grade with 20, 25, and 30 MPH curves. On the southbound side, there are numerous 15 MPH curves and switchbacks. Out the south side, there are grades as much as 10 - 12%.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015