cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange Gray Powder

52markwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
We found a strange gray(dust like) powder in our silverware drawer in our RV kitchen. The powder is also in the utensils drawer. So we are are wondering is this powder from the silverware , the black plastic handles of the utensils or from another source. Has anyone noticed this problem?
14 REPLIES 14

TodayIsTheDay
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a used 2019 Coachmen Catalina and I noticed a silver or gray residue in one my kitchen drawers also when we got back from a 16 day trip. It looked to me like it might be coming from where the screws went through the drawer face for the handle. Not sure how much sense that makes, but I didn't see any of it above the drawer, or anywhere else. I was curious to see if anyone else had this issue and found this thread. You are not alone. Perhaps our rigs have the same manufacturer? I'm going to reach out to Forest River tomorrow. If I get anywhere with them, I'll update.

dedmiston
If I were trying to go full on Sherlock Holmes, I would layer some paper towels in there to try to figure out where it's happening.

Take everything out and put a paper towel in the bottom of the drawer.

Then make a burrito out of the utensils using a paper towel as the tortilla.

Then put another one over the top of the drawer just to overdo it a little.

After your next drive you'll be able to see if it's coming from the top of the drawer, the utensils themselves, or the bottom of the drawer.

If you have the patience, you could leave it that way for a while to see if the powder is a function of the miles you've driven or just the passing of time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

1stRV2004
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps it might be a lubricant on the drawer glides drying out, such as WD40 etc.

Scott

and

JaneAnn

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Silver will oxidize?

We call it "tarnish," but it is still just oxidation.

However, it does not flake off any white powder and it's highly unlikely it has plastic handles. None of my silver has ever left a white powder no matter how long it has been between cleaning.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
LouLawrence wrote:
Silver will oxidize?

We call it "tarnish," but it is still just oxidation.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Silver will oxidize? He never suggested he had sterling silver utensils only that we all call silverware (knives, folks, spoons) was in the drawer. He even mentions they have black plastic handles.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could it be residue from sliding the drawers in & out? Like something is rubbing. Or even how the drawer fits into the opening, rubbing against the top of the opening, causing the powder to fall onto the contents of the drawer?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just waiting in the wings to hear the endless possibilities and potential solutions for this connundrum.
(To add something useful to this post, Iโ€™d clean it up and monitor how/when it comes back.)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Could be feces and sawdust from powder post beetles. Some manufacturers used infested wood when building their cabinets and the insects continued to thrive. Is it worse after a tow and things got shaken loose? Look at the cabinet above the drawers and see if you can find tiny holes.

52markwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too have not noticed sliver turning into powder. There are things that can leave a gray powder but frankly I forget what.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Difficult to say based on limited information. Could it be from the latches on the drawers or the metal glides? Could it be mold? A lot of molds are grey and powdery .
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silver will oxidize to a black coating. If it is silver, I have never seen any produce powder as it oxidizes
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ken1961
Explorer
Explorer
Does your RV sit in the sun with no air? I've had cheap plastic handles do this.
Ken