Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: To slide or not to slide. That is the question.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To slide or not to slide. That is the question.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/22 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

[image]

Yeah, really.[emoticon]

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, seriously, the OP's question isn't answered.

This is just the typical myopic one-sided "old phart" rantings. "My way is the only way and everything else is stupid and should be outlawed."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that believe it is a problem, is that your assumption from looking at them, or based on personal experience?

I just re-read them all and I think this thread very much answered is original question.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/22 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are looking for some sort of justification to argue that folks who haven't owned an RV with slides don't have sound reasons for not having slides.

I'll reiterate what I said at the beginning: What does it matter? If you are happy with your slides, then enjoy them. If someone else doesn't like them, then they can enjoy life without them.

People make decisions everyday about things they haven't tried. Sure, some may be making a decision based on "assumptions" rather than "personal experience" but that doesn't make it less accurate for them.

Just because YOU have slides and like them doesn't mean everyone must agree with you.

And just because someone else says "I don't want one because I don't want to have to deploy it to use the bathroom" doesn't mean they are wrong.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

WarrenS65

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/22 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a non-slide and a slide camper and know what I'm getting myself into. If I were buying a camper to use strictly by myself, I would have bought an 8', non-slide model and a longbed, 3/4 a longbed.
Because my wife wants to go as well, I went big.

I understand the weight and cost issues.

my only buyer's remorse is that its going to be 10 months from order to delivery.

My question was philosophical. I was wondering if the people that recommend against slide models have had problems themselves, or don't like the idea.

Grit dog wrote:

Interesting observation. You have effectively purchased about the largest triple slide camper on the market and now questioning whether you want to go with a much smaller unit with no slides?
Or is this just one of those “hypothetical “ questions to tone down anticipated buyers remorse in advance?

2022 F450
2022 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
1998 Yamaha Warrior
2006 Yamaha Raptor 250
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

restlessways

Limbo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/22 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

This is just the typical myopic one-sided "old phart" rantings. "My way is the only way and everything else is stupid and should be outlawed."

What's weird about this site, and forums in general, is the "OMG, this person has an opinion different than mine. MUST. BE. DESTROYED." mentality. I picture a scenario where said angry person's wife is talking on the phone to her sister, asking if she's happy with her divorce, and when she hangs up she says "honey, isn't there something outside the RV that you can do?" Seriously.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

restlessways wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

What's weird about this site, and forums in general, is the "OMG, this person has an opinion different than mine. MUST. BE. DESTROYED." mentality. I picture a scenario where said angry person's wife is talking on the phone to her sister, asking if she's happy with her divorce, and when she hangs up she says "honey, isn't there something outside the RV that you can do?" Seriously.

Yes I agree and have been a part of it. Last week I had a back and forth on my saltwater fishing forum and was told that a 24 volt set up for my 24 volt trolling motor was not safe the way I had it hooked up and would cause much interference with my electronics. I hook all of my 12 volt accessories to each individual 12 volt battery in the 24 volt set up and I've been doing it this way for at least ten years. Not good enough! Huge back and forth about how dangerous I was to my fellow boaters, I'll be going through batteries like water, shorts in the system and you name it. I have experienced none of what they were saying. It is the nature of the forum.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most forums now have the ignore or block feature. Since those who want to prove they are right seem to be repeat offenders, just use the feature. I resisted for years, but finally had enough. They can fight with themselves.

It's amazing how different the forums get when you use the feature. Yep, maybe more boring, but also less frustrating.

Btw, I also use it to eliminate the noise by some who ask for information and are surprised to find out that what they want to do really is wrong by any objective measure. Then, they complain about the answer. They also seem to be repeat offenders, so you will miss the chance to respond to people like that. I don't know about you, but that works for me.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/22 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WarrenS65 wrote:

I've had a non-slide and a slide camper and know what I'm getting myself into. If I were buying a camper to use strictly by myself, I would have bought an 8', non-slide model and a longbed, 3/4 a longbed.
Because my wife wants to go as well, I went big.

I understand the weight and cost issues.

my only buyer's remorse is that its going to be 10 months from order to delivery.

My question was philosophical. I was wondering if the people that recommend against slide models have had problems themselves, or don't like the idea.

Grit dog wrote:

Interesting observation. You have effectively purchased about the largest triple slide camper on the market and now questioning whether you want to go with a much smaller unit with no slides?
Or is this just one of those “hypothetical “ questions to tone down anticipated buyers remorse in advance?

Hypothetical, philosophical...kinda the same in this instance.

Enjoy your new camper when you get it! Those things are sweet.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> To slide or not to slide. That is the question.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.