cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sioux Falls area

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
All we've got are some wants & a definite maybe. And need help!
We want to head to the Sioux Falls area (from St. Louis, MO) in June. DW wants to see the falls of Sioux Falls and Palisades State Park. I want to spend a night at the Blue Springs (Kansas City area) Elks Lodge and have a cold beer & a burger in Minowi, NE. (look it up, sounds like something I gotta see).
Well the issue is that we must attend a yet to be scheduled meeting in June, so our departure date is uncertain at this time. And from what I can find Palisades Park is almost booked solid for June. Besides from what I did find, we're not over joyed with their sites, they leave some to be desired in our opinion. Having never been to South Dakota before we're not certain of how their state parks are set up with facilities. (Paved/gravel/dirt pads, handy water & electric, level, etc.) And we are generally state park people. Either those or COE parks. Not much on KOA type or private parks, but they will do for a night over if we must.
Any words of wisdom on where we might spend a couple of nights while exploring the area?
Sorry to be so windy, but that's our story.
Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
2 REPLIES 2

Boscorelli
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been to the State Park there, but there are a few campgrounds around. The Good Sam one and the KOA one are right off of I-90 - I mean, within eye shot. I've never stayed at either of them. Tower campground is right in the city. If you stay there ask for the South campground. That part has grass and trees. The other part is just blacktop. There is another campground South of the city. I checked it out. It looks good from the birds eye view of Google maps, but it has gravel roads and is very dry and dusty in person.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We havent stayed at Palisades SP we did an afternoon there 2 years ago while waiting for early voting to open. It is a nice park. Plenty of sites for a rig your size. South Dakota SPs have day use fee as well as camping fees.
I can't say all but all SD parks we've stayed in have been top notch.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu