cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power drain

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are not full timers at all. Our coach will sit for a month or so, especially in the winter months. We do start it and check things periodically. Without starting & running frequently it seems that our engine battery drains to the point it needs a jump to restart.
My question where & how do I look to find the source of the drainage?
I know nothing of electricity other than when you stick your finger in outlet it hurts. A lot!
Your thoughts?
thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
20 REPLIES 20

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are all kinds of parasitic draws in a modern vehicle. It started with a clock & now vehicles are smarter than us & always alive.

If stored for months at a time disconnect the battery. Leave the vehicle electronically dead.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
A small 15 watt solar panel will keep the chassis battery tendered. The one I bought to replace to old one works even when the Tyvek cover is on.
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Any new car dealer will tell you all you need to know about this, in fact the commonly used term they use is called โ€˜Lot Rotโ€™ a malady they have to stay regularly on top ofโ€ฆ

3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If regarding your vehicle battery draining, look it up. Easier than me explaining diagnosis and potential causes to verify if your battery dying is โ€œnormalโ€ or not.
Or just believe the peanut gallery who says itโ€™s totally normal. (Yes I do realize there are parasitic minor drains. But thereโ€™s a little more too it that neither the Op nor any of you have addressed )
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
garmp wrote:
OK Grit Dog, what do you think is the cause? Keep it simple, I'm a dummy, please.

Cause of getting multiple cats stolen? Not sure I can give you advice there. Other than doing the same thing with the same undesirable result repeatedly being not very smart is not very smart.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The are all kinds of parasitic drains that you never think of. They can be as small as the vehicle clock, the various memory sets, the CO monitor, all kinds of itty bitty draws that together add up over time.

The simple solution is to install a battery switch & turn it off between trips. This is something boaters who keep their boats away from shore on moorings are familiar with. The boat is left electronically dead, except for it's bilge pump which is wired directly to the battery. RVs don't need to worry about sinking.

A battery bank in good shape will sit multiple months disconnected & untended.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
engine battery's will die without being disconnected or hooked to a trickle charger. the computer will run it down over a month.

No, it shouldnโ€™t.

Depends on the misc background loads but it certainly can.

Also, the battery will self discharge over time. The chemical processes slow way down but don't shut down entirely, even if there is no load on the battery.

Plus, if the OP has let the battery get run down to the point it needs a jump several times, good chance the battery is far from tip-top condition, so that can compound the issue.

The use of a good high amperage disconnect switch is a great option. If you are worried about the shop, hang a note from the rearview mirror reminding them that you have a battery disconnect switch and it needs to be used if the rig won't be run for several days.

A small trickle charger is also viable if the rig is outside where you can place it in the sun.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several systems in modern vehicles that are powered full time.. The ECC for example (Engine Control Computer) and the more modern the more computers. Parts of the radio... and of course batteries "Self discharge"

If you are full timing then you likely have "Shore power" and you can install a device called a Trick-l-start.. Simple 3-wire hookup at your isolator solenoid or battery control center.

NOTE if the rig is new enough you may have a problem with the Battery Control Center as many modern RV's use a BiDirectional isolator device (B.i.R.D.) so that the house converter/charger also charges the chassis, same as the engine alternator charges the house when driving.

Also. I know the "Side terminal" batteries used on some vehicles are not supposed to need terminal cleaning..... but they do.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
engine battery's will die without being disconnected or hooked to a trickle charger. the computer will run it down over a month.

No, it shouldnโ€™t.

It Absolutely WILL, this is because in spite of the engine being off, there are still a couple of active networks alive and running (the most obvious is anti-theft), and this malady is WELL KNOWN to most, and from my car experience 3 or so weeks is about the upper limit, though considerably longer on my dual battery Ram diesel, but STILL a factor that can definitely lead to premature $$ battery failureโ€ฆThis is not theoretical!!

3 tons

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK Grit Dog, what do you think is the cause? Keep it simple, I'm a dummy, please.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
garmp wrote:
That's what I did. I put a knife type switch on the negative terminal and the issue has stopped. What had prompted the question is that I had the coach at the repair shop to have the catalytic converted replaced, third one stolen, and this one had a CatClamp installed and the part is on back order. So I had to remind them about the cut off switch to save from buying another battery. Just a minor inconvenience unless you forget to tell some one.

Thanks for all the replies.

D@mn man! You should change your storage strategy, or get a bit mean dog or somethingโ€ฆ
And in the meantime Iโ€™d stop putting new cats on it!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
LittleBill wrote:

No, it shouldnโ€™t.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's what I did. I put a knife type switch on the negative terminal and the issue has stopped. What had prompted the question is that I had the coach at the repair shop to have the catalytic converted replaced, third one stolen, and this one had a CatClamp installed and the part is on back order. So I had to remind them about the cut off switch to save from buying another battery. Just a minor inconvenience unless you forget to tell some one.

Thanks for all the replies.

Y-Guy
garmp wrote:
My question where & how do I look to find the source of the drainage?

I had this same issue with our Coach. I could isolate the house batteries, but not the coach battery which could drain and kill itself within a couple months. I started off by bringing the RV home after 6 weeks and with a 30 minute drive on the freeway and leave it plugged in for a couple nights then back to storage.

I suppose I could have gone through each fuse trying to isolate the draw. But it was much easier to put a knife blade battery disconnect switch on the battery. Once I did, it solved all of my issues.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon