cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just give me the bad news.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My Dad passed away in February 2021. Before we could get his affairs in order Mom got sick and that took priority until she passed last September.

Dad's truck, a 2015 Silverado 2500HD with just shy of 47K on the clock, must have developed a water leak in the cab. I tried to dry it out as best I could last fall and parked it inside a dry pole barn with the rest of the farm equipment.

Checked on it a few times over the winter, and it seemed okay.

Well I went to get it out today and found green mold growing in the cab. Turned the key and the truck started right up and sounds fine, but it throws a whole bunch of codes about the traction control, trailer brake, TPMS, and other systems. The trip odometers are blank. None of the gauges work.

I'm afraid the truck is junk. Water got in under the dash and I'm sure nothing short of a complete new wiring harness and who knows what else is going to fix it.

There was no insurance on the truck, not that it would have made any difference. This I'm sure would be considered "flood damage" and since flooding is not a common thing around here it wouldn't have been covered for that.

This really sucks because it was a nice low-mileage truck. I was considering buying it for myself. I really thought I had it dried out last fall and was doing a good thing by keeping it inside out of the weather.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
36 REPLIES 36

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Condolences on your loss

As for the gremlins...think of getting your home computer wet by dripping water into the case

These days, any newer vehicle is no different than your computer

At signal level voltages & currents...it doesn't take much to create shorts and/or couplings between lines. Toss in high frequencies that some subsystems employ

Not salt water (the worst), but washed dust/etc during it's path to the dash.
Meaning made conductive...high resistance shorts

An analogy would be old time ignition with a distributor & getting water in there

Good luck !
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mr.Mark wrote:
Just to clarify, all of the warning lights are off?

Nope, all the warning lights are still on, none of the gauges work, the radio/display only partially works, and the climate control thinks its Canadian.

It just literally starts, runs, and drives. You turn the key, it goes r-r-r-vroom! You pull the gearshift (counting clicks because the gear display does not work) and it goes in the direction you put it in.

Cheeses me off because I watch these videos of folks literally pressure washing out the interiors of vehicles with ZERO problems.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Meaning the issues have gone away, or just that it runs fine like you originally said?
With respect to insurance, presuming youโ€™ve inherited the truck and itโ€™s now in your name, if you donโ€™t want or canโ€™t deal with the issues yourself, then go put full coverage on it. And then turn it in to insurance in a couple months.
Good news that no rodent damage, but are you sure? It would not be in the cab likely. Newer vehicles are pretty well sealed up.

No, just that it runs and drives fine. The instrument panel is still not working, and the center console still thinks its Canadian.

I have not inherited the truck. When Dad died, everything that was jointly owned went to Mom with no paperwork. The only thing that was in his name was his truck. Before we could get it transferred, she got sick and died too.

Then you canโ€™t do anything with the truck now anyway.
Iโ€™d get it cleaned up and dried out. Iโ€™d still drive it some. Fix it if youโ€™re so inclined.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
It runs perfectly now.

There is no evidence of rodent activity, just mold and moisture in the cab.

When I went to move it water trickled out from under the dashboard on to the floor mats.

There is no insurance on the truck. The policy expired and I could neither renew nor cancel it. Only basic liability coverage on the property too. Insurance rates were bankrupting my folks, and they had everything pared down to the bare minimum and still paying $2000 a year on the property.

Just to clarify, all of the warning lights are off?

If so, good to hear!

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with putting a dehumidifier in the truck for a few days. Turn it all the way to DRY and empty the pan several times a day.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
It runs perfectly now.

When I went to move it water trickled out from under the dashboard on to the floor mats.

There is no insurance on the truck. The policy expired and I could neither renew nor cancel it. Only basic liability coverage on the property too. Insurance rates were bankrupting my folks, and they had everything pared down to the bare minimum and still paying $2000 a year on the property.

The windshield is likely leaking on the truck. I had that happen before.
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Meaning the issues have gone away, or just that it runs fine like you originally said?
With respect to insurance, presuming youโ€™ve inherited the truck and itโ€™s now in your name, if you donโ€™t want or canโ€™t deal with the issues yourself, then go put full coverage on it. And then turn it in to insurance in a couple months.
Good news that no rodent damage, but are you sure? It would not be in the cab likely. Newer vehicles are pretty well sealed up.

No, just that it runs and drives fine. The instrument panel is still not working, and the center console still thinks its Canadian.

I have not inherited the truck. When Dad died, everything that was jointly owned went to Mom with no paperwork. The only thing that was in his name was his truck. Before we could get it transferred, she got sick and died too.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
CapnCampn wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Do you know how to spell fraud?

Yep, it's spelled M-A-T-T. I still like his channel, but that was pretty shady.

Sorry for the sidetrack, though it does deal directly with insurance fraud.

Fix the truck! ๐Ÿ™‚

CC

I can go the other way and tell you how insurance companies donโ€™t want to pay a legitimate claim because they feel they donโ€™t have to. Or take short cuts to fix a car. Iโ€™ve had the writer call a customer to have their car towed out because I wouldnโ€™t work on it. I donโ€™t want a shoddy (unsafe) repair with my name on it!

Back when I was working auto service trucks, some of the AAA calls could of been questioned.
And my pickup has a slightly bent front bumper because I prefer it to aftermarket the fool's insurance would pay for.
And I'm fairly sure that many business fires are caused by overheated insurance policies.
But the fact is the insurance industry will never loose because of fraud. Any loss will be made up by increase in rates for us all.
A better idea, IMHO, would be ask everybody that thinks society should pay for this damage, instead of personal responsibility, just write the OP a check, keep insurance and the rest of us out of the deal

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry for the off topic, but I could share a few stories, however the best one is, just got married and bought a house.
Had home and car ins with ___ (I don't remember). Had to change car ins due to rate hike. (For years, my parent's insurance record was used against me, same first name as Dad, oops our mistake, rates still jacked)
Got a quote for car and home with Allstate. Liked the car rate, not the house. They pressured us to add the house too. Only signed the car policy. Month later I get a notice from our lender that our insurance has lapsed and about the same day, get a bill for the annual premium for our house...from Allstate! Ooops
There's more. But fortunately we haven't had any losses or claims in a long time (knock on wood), so no recent experience getting the shaft from an insurance co.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:

Yeah it's spelled F the insurance company!
If I thought for a second they were honest and forthright all the time, I may feel differently. But...they're not, so whatevs.

Or rewind this thread a couple days and picture this.
"I inherited this truck, got it titled tagged and insured. Went to get it out of storage months later and it has ______ issues from a water leak. I believe I'll call my insurance company."

Heck, idk if they'll even cover it. Not my ins and not my truck. But wouldn't lose a minute of sleep if it was AND I could get it covered, if that's what needed done.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
CapnCampn wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Fix the truck! ๐Ÿ™‚

CC

I can go the other way and tell you how insurance companies donโ€™t want to pay a legitimate claim because they feel they donโ€™t have to. Or take short cuts to fix a car. Iโ€™ve had the writer call a customer to have their car towed out because I wouldnโ€™t work on it. I donโ€™t want a shoddy (unsafe) repair with my name on it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:

Fix the truck! ๐Ÿ™‚

CC

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Plus some of the problems could just be GM electrical glitches. Iโ€™ve had a couple of that gen GM pickups and theyโ€™re finicky/fickle, IMO. Iโ€™ve had stuff โ€œlock upโ€ namely all the touch screen functions and the physical buttons that are redundant.
My old 2016 company truck. Got it โ€œnewโ€ but it spent a year parked out in the rain first.
It leaked inside and I removed mildew from carpet and surfaces. Where from? Idk. It didnโ€™t do it again once it was being used daily.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
It runs perfectly now.

Plus some of the problems could just be GM electrical glitches. Iโ€™ve had a couple of that gen GM pickups and theyโ€™re finicky/fickle, IMO. Iโ€™ve had stuff โ€œlock upโ€ namely all the touch screen functions and the physical buttons that are redundant.
My old 2016 company truck. Got it โ€œnewโ€ but it spent a year parked out in the rain first.
It leaked inside and I removed mildew from carpet and surfaces. Where from? Idk. It didnโ€™t do it again once it was being used daily.