cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memphis Crossing

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Two seemingly viable options to cross the Mississippi at Memphis, for me. Coming from Southaven, MS and heading to Springfield, MO. The options being I-40 bridge and I-55 bridge. Is one better than the other? It will likely be on a Monday around 11 in the morning.

Thoughts?
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
3 REPLIES 3

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from the south, IH-55. There’s no reason to go thru town to catch IH-40.

I’ll assume you’re familiar, but for others who aren’t, the turn onto the bridge access is a cloverleaf. It’s tight & slow. One wants to use the center lane on the approach as both it and the right lane make the curve. (Speed limit signs are not advisories). This ANCIENT stretch of roadway is not like many places left, now).

Need to be aware of potential traffic problems. Memphis can snarl in a hurry.

This is the way I look at it as a truck driver.

You can also cross to the south at Greenville, MS, as well as farther north at Dyersburg, TN.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using the 55 bridge for the last 5 years both spring and fall. We winter in Louisiana after mother daughter time in Chicago burbs and the reverse in the spring. We then do a volunteer job somewhere in cooler climes up North.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
I-40. We make the trip from IL to NOLA 2-3 times a year. I-40 is a lot better for traffic and road conditions.
Camped in every state