cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Planning a trip to Alaska sometime 2023

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
I seen the post about Truck camper into Canada. It talks about vehicle insurance.

My question is do you actually need a passport?

Everything i have found so far indicates that the new drivers license is acceptable. Does any one know this for a fact. If you need 2 forms of identification and you donโ€™t have a passport what else is acceptable?

We will be towing our 5er. Have not set a route as of yet.

Thanks
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013
9 REPLIES 9

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also use a certified copy of your birth certificate.

If you don't want to pay for a full passport, buy just the pass port card.

A driver's licence will not get you through.

There's a lot more info over here. Please check out their tabs.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/782032812734226/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=1053833602220811

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Understand there is a difference between traveling to Canada and traveling through Canada to an international destination. There are also rules for public health
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

RV.net forum tor Canada and Alaska travelers.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/65.cfm
Tons if information in the sticky posts
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything i have found so far indicates that the new drivers license is acceptable.

You must not understand the differences between a :

1 -real ID or real ID driver license
2 -enhanced driver license
3 -passport card or equivalent
4 -passport book

1 - The purpose of the real ID or real ID driver license is maintaining a central federal database for permitting domestic US air travel, access to US federal gov't buildings and installations...it has no bearing what so ever for international travel....

2 - The enhanced driver licenses are only allowed to be issued from US states that directly border with Canada, with the option to participate....

When the program first started under the WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative managed under the US Dept of Homeland Security), only four US states first optioned to participate (WA, MN, MI, and NY)...and later on I believe VT joined to issue enhanced driver licenses....

Enhanced driver licenses that are issued from these 5 US states are both equivalent with the same characteristics as a valid passport card while also real ID compliant....

3 - A passport card (also managed under WHTI), permits entry to all land and sea ports of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands only....To my knowledge it cannot be used for air travel, however the last I knew there was an added exception a couple years ago to start permitting restricted air travel to only four int'l airports in Canada with the US passport card to and from the United States via Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and I think either Edmonton or Montreal....

4 - A US passport book's purpose is designated for all forms of air, land and sea travel at all ports of entry (international) while it is also domestically real ID and passport card compliant....

The last I knew, Real ID's and passport cards are valid for 5 to 7 years (unless recently changed) as US passport books are still valid for 10 years at a time....

The one factor upon real ID's, enhanced driver licenses, passport cards or equivalent, and passport books all have in common are :

They all establish both proof of identity and proof of citizenship.

For the record, I first obtained a US passport in 2006 to be future compliant when the US government announced their new required travel rules between countries, and since they added the real ID initiative in the mix later on - a US passport book supersedes any restricted real ID and passport card compliant measures as there is no need for me to obtain any other form of ID as I have a US passport book (valid for 10 years) and a standard driver license (now valid for 7 years)....

Here is a twister in the mix upon the WHTI rules strictly between 'typical' United States and Canada citizens .....

Only citizens of Canada can enter the United States without bearing a passport, as all US citizens and other foreign citizens are required to bear a passport or equivalent to enter or re-enter the United States....

A citizen of Canada that wishes to enter the United States without a passport must show established :

-proof of citizenship (a birth certificate or equivalent) AND
-proof of identity (a government issued ID or driver license if operating a vehicle)

Not under the WHTI rules :

Only citizens of Canada and the United States can enter Canada without bearing a passport....

A citizen of the United States that wishes to enter Canada without a passport must show established :

-proof of citizenship (a birth certificate or equivalent) AND
-proof of identity (a government issued ID or driver license if operating a vehicle)

However, any US citizen when entering Canada will always be asked to present a passport or equivalent mainly because the government of Canada fully knows that US citizens are required to bear a US passport when re-entering the United States....

If a US citizen wishes to enter Canada with just a gov't ID and proof of citizenship - there are some exceptions depending the circumstances that a CBSA or immigration officer of Canada will determine at their discretion, however if one declares that they are taking a long vacation in their RV to Alaska while planning to return to their origin destination in the states - I wouldn't really count on any Canadian official permitting entry as more likely they will inform that US citizen to obtain a travel document.

Not under the WHTI rules (which is US law) :

Citizens of the United States that re-enter the United States without bearing a passport or equivalent CANNOT BE DENIED ENTRY....

-One will automatically be referred to secondary inspection and...

-One will be going thru additional screening measures until CBP officers are satisfied establishing -proof of identity and proof of citizenship on an individual....

More likely when it comes to dealing with CBP re-entering the United States under those circumstances, one will wish they had a passport.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Everything i have found so far indicates that the new drivers license is acceptable."

2023 is a long way off and regulations change. To be safe get a passport.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
The days of using your drivers license are long gone. They went out due to 9/11.

Yes, you need a passport. Canada may or may not care but to get back into the USA, you will need to show it (if you are a US Citizen, you will eventually get back in but how many hours do you want to spend at the border because you didn't have the right paperwork?)

There is a passport card available but it's very limited. A full passport takes about the same amount of time/effort to get and is much more versatile if you will ever do any international travel beyond Canada/Mexico.

But you STILL need a driver's license. Those days are not gone. Always carry it, and always use it as one of your forms of ID.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some (not all) of the border States have a version of an enhanced driver's license that, up until COVID, could be used to cross the border. Not sure if that's still the case after COVID though. Since you're trying to get into Canada it's all up to their authorities. Getting back into the US (if you're a citizen or hold a valid Green Card) isn't as difficult but is much, much easier with a Passport or Passcard.

The best advice is to get a US Passport and for an additional small fee, the Passcard. The Passcard can be used for land crossings, but a Passort was still required if traveling into the country by air or cruise ship the last time I traveled over, around and thru Canada.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
The days of using your drivers license are long gone. They went out due to 9/11.

Yes, you need a passport. Canada may or may not care but to get back into the USA, you will need to show it (if you are a US Citizen, you will eventually get back in but how many hours do you want to spend at the border because you didn't have the right paperwork?)

There is a passport card available but it's very limited. A full passport takes about the same amount of time/effort to get and is much more versatile if you will ever do any international travel beyond Canada/Mexico.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I would contact Canada and find out. That way you get the latest and greatest info, including what might be required, if anything, for COVID vaccinations/testing. As Scottiemom stated, getting back in to the US is usually more difficult.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Just get a passport/passport card. You've got time.

Mostly, you need it to get back into the states.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/