cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank not draining!

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
My flush system flushes the tank but only clear water is draining. It is apparently plugged up higher. When i try to flush with the pedal, it appears to be full.. i put in a blue pack and tried to use the flush system, only clear water goes out the sewer hose , clear plastic. How to clear it if the plug is higher up from the tank? I don’t have a sewer snake but is that what I should try?
Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
What worked was using the hose bladder, sold at lowes, near thesnakes!!

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
That toilet auger shown in the picture can be purchased here at our Walmart store. I 'm sure it would be very helpful.

Happy travels, Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!!

Way2roll....What a great video!!

This guy had to be an Aggie engineer from Texas A&M. Only one I'd know to go to such lengths.

I wonder if the results would have been different if using square ice cubes rather than rounded ones?

Good input....Thanks

Skip
KillingTime

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. You state clear water comes out when black flushing.
2. I assume you also mean that when you installed the blue tab NO BLUE WATER came out
3. What you have is simple. It is NOT a poop pyramid. If so, the toilet water flush would mix and you would get dirty water not clear
4. The flush nozzle is either down from the top of the tank on the Passenger side or at the 3/4 to full mark on the SIDE of the tank on the passenger side. That means IF it is obviously working(clear water out the exit fitting) then if a Poop Pyramid, would hit some of the pyramid and would be dirty water not clear.
5. The simple solution is you must have a 3 inch ABS tube from the bottom of the toilet floor flange to the top of the tank. This tube is probably NOT straight but has 1 or 2 angles to it and this has caused debris to clog up that down tube. NOT all the way, but probably 90% or more. This is one of the times(about the ONLY TIME) you can use a standard handheld toilet snake and insert down that 4 to 18 inches to break the debris loose. BEFORE you start, pour about a gallon of boiling water thru the toilet to help soften up the debris. Doug

PS, IF you do have a Poop Pyramid, this tool will also help break up the pyramid

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Cobra-3-8-in-x-3-ft-Music-Wire-Toilet-Auger/1001845024?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd...

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
For breaking up the "mountain", an inexpensive plumber's snake should work well. It's flexible and the rotating action should break things up.

I used a piece of old garden hose when it happened to me four years ago, but next time I'll try a plumber's snake.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ice cubes don't really work. The best thing is plenty of water and a black tank flush system.

Ice cubes in black tank
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard of ice cubes in the black tank will help break up the poo mtn, as you are traveling down the road.

Can't hurt...

Good Luck.

Skip
KillingTime

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a pull down rod for your shade , use it for a clean out snake. Turn off your water outside so you can use your on board water and open the float valve. Poke the rod down and wiggle it around. Works great and you can get the clog out. Then as suggested, lots of water with each flush will keep problems away. If you are going to use the method of putting water in and driving around sloshing water to break things up, put ice cubes in the tank to help the process. Not just ice but cubes to do the best job.

Happy travels, Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
IB853347201 wrote:
After you resolve your issue and get the tank flowing again, make sure you keep the black water valve closed, and allow the tank to get at least 3/4's full before you drain. Using an application of Happy Camper will go along way to eliminating odors and keeping things fluid. Anyone who tells you that some sort of black tank treatment isnt needed is just plain wrong.
Been MHing 25 years plus, black tank odor and issue free!

First part is correct...don't leave the tank open. You want the solids to be floating so they flow out and you certainly don't want them drying out on the floor of the tank.

The second part is wrong. Plenty of water is the solution...been RVing for 50+ years, black tank odor and issue free! Never used snake oil in the tank.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
After you get things moving a little bit, use your flush to put about 1/4 tank of water in and drive around making plenty of turns. The water sloshing around can help break thing up.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whether it is self made concoctions or store bought black tank chemicals, neither works without sufficient water. If you have time fill it with water and let it sit, if in a hurry add sufficient water and get to busting a poo mountain. Although I have explained to my DW, 3 DDs, and 1 DS about using more water for solids, it is ultimately up to me to add water as I am the one that gets to perform the dumping ritual, mostly unassisted. No biggie really, just add a few gallons back into blank tank via onboard tank flush rinser after final rinse, we never leave black tank dry.

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. Will keep on trying

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of water is all you need. If your toilet is operating properly, nothing else is needed except maybe a little calgon bath oil beads to help things slide out better. No additive needed at home, same in the RV.
2014 American Eagle

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ahhh, yes, you have come across 'Poo mountain'. 🙂

Happens when too much 'solid' is pushed into black tank and not enough liquid, resulting in said 'solids' piling up and blocking things up in the tank. Typically, the blockage takes the form of a mountain of poo right where it dumps into the black tank from the toilet. Hence the name, 'Poo mountain'.

Just had a visit to Poo mountain last month myself when we were camping at the beach. Was first time in 22 years of RVing that I had such happen. Ended up having to find a pole/stick (old squeegee handle no longer needed) to 'sacrifice' and use to poke down in the toilet, to stir up and break down Poo mountain to get things flowing again. Stir/push some, pour a bunch of water through, then stir some more, more water....Did that a couple times, and eventually poo mountain 'collapsed', and dumped on out.

To prevent that in the future, encourage those that use your facility that when dumping 'solids', Please make sure you run plenty of water through as well. I had to re-educate my gang on such after that incident, haha. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")