cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This the season

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Just back from a 1500 trip. We must have seen a couple thousand orange barrels and one person that we think was working. Mile after mile of closed lanes but no work go on.
8 REPLIES 8

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Nope the Laborers unions wonโ€™t let that happen. Itโ€™s a safety hazard to have a standing shovel left unattended.

lfilk
Explorer
Explorer
They are going to reduce the amount of workers because someone invented a shovel that would stand up by itself.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
For many highway construction projects, most often those using contractors, those orange barrels and cones are actually rented.

Renting orange barrels
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I remember a while back seeing miles of of I-85 in NC closed on 1 side for several weeks with no obvious work going on. Came through 1 time during daylight and they were pressure washing the road. Guess it was dirty. Miles of 1 lane closed in WV and never did see anything going on, not even a person or a running machine. I think it is just easier to store those cones that way.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Not limited to northern states. Here in Louisiana our winters are very mild yet most road construction occurs during the summer. Why? Who knows. Construction could easily be conducted during the winter and there would be more out of state contractors willing to bid on jobs and more workers available. Nice to keep our local contractors busy but it would at least force them to lower their prices.
A bridge over the Mississippi River near us has had ongoing construction by our DOT personnel for a few months now. They tear up the surface one day then about a week later they resurface it. Then after a couple weeks paint lines on one side. Then a couple weeks later paint the signs on the other side. Then along comes the parish and digs up the new road surface to lay a new drainage line. Wash, rinse, and repeat. Deja Vu all over again.
Meanwhile there is major multi year construction on I-10 at Baton Rouge that will force traffic down to 1 lane on both east and westbound lanes. Just a heads up for anyone traveling through BR this summer.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Haven't been out this year, but last year got me to wondering who makes all these barrels and how much has been spent on them? Miles and miles of them, and no workers to be seen.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why be secretive regarding which state or states? Iโ€™d even want to know which Caltrans division if here in California.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Use your official sounding voice. Change the state for whatever region you are in. Gets me a few laughs on the old c.b.(when someone is actually listening).

This is a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation travel advisory for all east and west bound motorists.

State employees in groups of 3 or 4, are lingering throughout the construction area. These employees are engaged in meaningless conversations, concerning ex-wives and future fishing trips.

All state employees are easily recognized by their bright colored orange or green vests.

Should you see a state employee actually move...do NOT panic. They are merely reaching for their thermos to refill their coffee cup.

Should you see a state employee with a broom or shovel...do not be concerned. Standing around all day is kinda hard on the back. Occasionally they need something to lean on.

Should that employee attempt to utilize that broom or shovel in a manner for which it was made...a union representative will be notified, and proper disciplinary actions will be taken immediately.

This has been a PENNDOT travel advisory. Please buckle up and drive safely.