cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Tow providers mount new tire to wheel ?

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering: We have a 24 foot diesel class C with somewhat difficult to find tires = Hankook DynaPro RH12 195/75R16C . I am considering carrying a spare tire only ( no wheel ) due to weight issues.

My question: Do most tow truck operators have the capability to dismount and mount a new tire onto a wheel?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad
24 REPLIES 24

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ed_Gee wrote:

Regarding ladder specs, the climbing weight is for static weight.... when RV is not moving . Forces exerted while moving over bumps, etc. can be far greater on mounting screws can be much greater..

Yes, I'm aware. And the actual calculation is pretty complex, not just a an acceleration due to gravity and a peak force.
But back to real world, unless there is a quality issue with the ladder or it's installation, it is very common to carry items of similar weight attached to RV ladders.
My only personal examples are 2 mountain bikes and the rack they hang on and a Honda 2kw generator. Neither of which appeared to put any undue stress or damage to the ladder or it's mounts.
The genny was hauled to AK from the L48, so a fairly extreme amount of impacts and bouncing.

Regardless, your worry about the ladder appears to be clouding your decisions to be prepared for a flat tire in a remote area.
I can bust and mount a tire by hand...if I have to, which is what anybody short of a tire service rig would also likely have to do. But I greatly prefer not to, since the invention of tire machines.

If you're dead set against the ladder mount, front hitch with mount, rear hitch mount (with hitch extension, to tow the toad as well), swing away tire carrier, if your van has a solid back bumper to mount to, roof storage (if it has a roof rack, or a convenient spot) or somewhere inside the van are all potential other options I can think of.

All of which sound better than "camping" on the side of the road for however long with no mounted spare some great distance from the amenities and convenience of city livin'.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Dusty R wrote:
Or put a hitch on the front of mh and carry the spare there.

Thats what i did on one of my rvs, it worked fine. It didn't seem to affect the temp gauge, leave it uncovered so it can breathe.

On another rv, I carried 2 bikes and a mounting rack on my rear ladder for 40,000 rv’ing miles. The ladder mounts held up, the weight on the ladder was about 70 lbs. The bikes were on the rv every trip. Countless big city potholes were not a problem for that load.

Many TC owners always carry fabricated storage boxes on ladders. They too appeared to hold up fine.

What about having a weld shop or body shop fab you a rack. See if you have room for a mount below.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/entertainment-comfort-camping/cargo-management/tire-carriers/hid...

All interesting info. Tnx.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Just get a mounted spare and figure it out. And no, normal tow truck drivers don't dismount tires on the side of the road. If you can't figure out how to carry a tire on a rim, and have a flat, be prepared to sit for a while. Or get tire mounting tools, if you're going remote. And they will weigh as much as a rim. Or more.

I can't believe a Transit doesn't come with a spare... That's crazy.

Btw, if you can trust your ladder to climb it, it will hold a little tire and wheel that size.

The Winnebago Fuse 23A on the Ford Transit 350 diesel chassis has the generator mounted under rear where a spare tire would normally go. Regarding ladder specs, the climbing weight is for static weight.... when RV is not moving . Forces exerted while moving over bumps, etc. can be far greater on mounting screws can be much greater..
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
My bad. Didn’t realize it was a cutaway cab vehicle, RE coming with a spare.
That said answer is the same. Figure out how to carry a mounted spare.
But I’m speaking from a preparedness standpoint, imagining the many locations that getting a service truck call would be somewhere between expensive and very time consuming to impossible if no phone.
Your plan is only marginally better than not even bringing the tire.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:

Thats what i did on one of my rvs, it worked fine. It didn't seem to affect the temp gauge, leave it uncovered so it can breathe.

On another rv, I carried 2 bikes and a mounting rack on my rear ladder for 40,000 rv’ing miles. The ladder mounts held up, the weight on the ladder was about 70 lbs. The bikes were on the rv every trip. Countless big city potholes were not a problem for that load.

Many TC owners always carry fabricated storage boxes on ladders. They too appeared to hold up fine.

What about having a weld shop or body shop fab you a rack. See if you have room for a mount below.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/entertainment-comfort-camping/cargo-management/tire-carriers/hid...

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
I see you have a Scion xA as a toad....why not just keep the mounted spare in the trunk of that? Then you don't have to mount it anywhere on the RV.

That is a good point....but at least half the time we don't use the toad.

Get a receiver mounted spare tire carrier
- If you have the toad, remove it and put the tire in the back of the toad.
- If you don't have the toad, mount the carrier and put the tire on that.

Not cheap but this would allow the spare tire to be left in place while pulling the toad.

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-195225-Spare-Tire-Carrier/dp/B00SQ49S82
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
Thinking of carrying the spare primarily for long trip to Alaska....

I think your biggest problem will be being able to call anybody in the first place. Even the majority of eastern Oregon, or even the Coast Range, doesn't have cell service. The abandonment of 1x and 3G spectrums will make coverage far worse too, since newer cellular spectrums have less range.

FWIW - you can probably pick up a new take-off wheel and tires for cheap from QuadVan in Portland, since most 4x4 conversion end up with aftermarket wheels.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just get a mounted spare and figure it out. And no, normal tow truck drivers don't dismount tires on the side of the road. If you can't figure out how to carry a tire on a rim, and have a flat, be prepared to sit for a while. Or get tire mounting tools, if you're going remote. And they will weigh as much as a rim. Or more.

I can't believe a Transit doesn't come with a spare... That's crazy.

Btw, if you can trust your ladder to climb it, it will hold a little tire and wheel that size.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
Because I want to carry the tire on my ladder , I don't want to burden the ladder mounting any more than necessary..... Tire is 25-30 pounds. With wheel about double. Thinking of carrying the spare primarily for long trip to Alaska.... very hard to find this Hankook tire up there.
IMO all the more reason to have a spare ready to bolt on... is carrying a spare on a receiver-mounted rack an option? I understand not wanting to carry a mounted spare on the ladder.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I don't know about "most", but the towing companies around me all seem to have tire mounting equipment back at their shop. I have not heard or seen them actually mounting a tire on a wheel / rim on the side of a road for smaller vehicles.

"big rig" towing and service companies can usually mount a tire on a wheel, and then mount it on a trailer or truck, out in the field.

Bringing a spare tire, not mounted on a rim, is an idea, but... it really is easier to carry a spare on its own rim.

When you say weight issues, is that because your camper is over weight, or you have trouble moving / carrying a mounted spare yourself? I know as I have gotten more "seasoned" in age I have learned to use crowbars and blocks of wood to help lift spare tires onto a vehicle.

Because I want to carry the tire on my ladder , I don't want to burden the ladder mounting any more than necessary..... Tire is 25-30 pounds. With wheel about double. Thinking of carrying the spare primarily for long trip to Alaska.... very hard to find this Hankook tire up there.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
I see you have a Scion xA as a toad....why not just keep the mounted spare in the trunk of that? Then you don't have to mount it anywhere on the RV.

That is a good point....but at least half the time we don't use the toad.
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
It is POSSIBLE, but not easy, to swap your own tire. I would not want to do it on the side of a road or in bad weather. Bite the bullet and carry a mounted spare.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Keep in mind, you will have to do some explaining and they will still probably get it wrong.

Had dead batteries at the airport with the old 7.3 Diesel. Explicitly made clear it was a big diesel.

They sent a guy out in a minivan with a jump pack that didn't even pretend to get the motor to turn over.

Then they sent out a guy with a regular wrecker but he only had a short set of jumpers (the truck was nose in to the parking spot).

Finally paid him to run me over to walmart to just pick up a new set of batteries and I installed them myself.

I would expect similar theatrics if you are asking him to put a tire on a rim for a standard van.

Better to just buy a proper spare tire mount.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV