cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe getting a longer trailer

Whangler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking of upgrading to a 31’ trailer from a 27 footer. TV is a GMC 2500HD cc long bed. I know longer trailers are generally easier to back up. I keep my trailer in a driveway at my house so it’s a 90 degree back in on a 30’ wide suburban street. It’s a piece of cake to back my 27 footer into the driveway. Will it be appreciably more difficult backing the 31 footer into the spot?

Anybody here made a similar jump up in trailer length? Was there much difference in the towing experience?

Both trailers have a 10,000 lb gvwr. Big improvement in floor plan and interior space.

Thanks,
David
9 REPLIES 9

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Whangler, I think you'll be all right. We went from a 25' hybrid to a 34' TT and had a 90 degree angle into our driveway from a road probably about the size you have. It took a lot of getting used to, and a lot of tries, but fortunately I never put it in the ditch (we had a ditch about 4' deep and 8' wide alongside the road), and we had some very patient neighbors. 27' to 31' isn't a huge difference; just take it slow. Good luck!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
There isn’t much difference day-to-day from 28’ to 34’. It’s less of change than in going down from 28’.

Tail-swing is always the challenge. Different floor plans or brands can place TT axles at a changed relative difference in distance from the hitch ball (tandems farther back tends to mean easier towing, but changed backing; not harder, a little stranger from get-go).

“Wheel cut” is usually poor with straight Steer Axle (versus IFS). The necessary swing to have TT tandems at right pivot point can be pretty far (try a semi).

As above, Practice is your friend.
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
One of us can tell you over the internet if a particular trailer will fit in your driveway.
Some things need to be figured out on one’s own…
But try this. Tape some tattletales on each side of your camper that stick out 4-5’ past the end of your trailer and back it in and see if it fits. Bout the best online “suggestion” I can come up with?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four feet difference , the trailer pivots on the axles , so probably the backing difference is 2 feet , no problem ! What about the increased overhang on your driveway ?

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The transition from street to driveway may be an issue depending on overhang and dip.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 30 footer and went up to a 37 footer. BIG difference. I could fit into most gas stations with the 30, now I have to be very careful as to where I pull in to. At 31 ft you will likely be fine. Just go slow and you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Skibane wrote:
They're "easier" in the sense that they are more sluggish in responding to driver corrections - which makes them more forgiving of driver overcorrections.

In areas with limited maneuvering room, shorter trailers are easier to back up.

^^^This.

Of course, if 27ft is easy, 31ft is probably doable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F-350 CC long bed and sometimes the swing length of the truck is more of a problem than the length of the trailer. If the 4 ft. additional trailer length is divided on the tandem axles you may basically have only a two ft. longer trailer for backing.... Just a thought... Enjoy your new trailer :~)
Jerry
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whangler wrote:
I know longer trailers are generally easier to back up.

They're "easier" in the sense that they are more sluggish in responding to driver corrections - which makes them more forgiving of driver overcorrections.

In areas with limited maneuvering room, shorter trailers are easier to back up.