cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

camping in the Keys

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
They just reopened a loop at Bahia Honda SP, between Marathon and Key West. Taking reservations for the next 11 months, but filling up quick.
Most sites are 18' max length, but at least one I looked at is 23'.
Be advised there is absolutely NO shade at the sites!
Loop SSC. Most sites are literally steps from the ocean, so a good breeze to be had all day.
https://reserve.floridastateparks.org/Web/Default.aspx
6 REPLIES 6

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
My brother lived there till 1970. I parked in his driveway. LOL Not to many tourists then and I had a "B".

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
otrfun wrote:
notsobigjoe wrote:
The loop is already gone but I got one!!! . . .
towpro wrote:
. . . Be prepared to pay a small fortune for parking in Key west, every where you go has pay at the curb machines where you put a slip on your dash.
Totally jealous you were able to make those Bahia Honda SP reservations. We tried for a week to make reservations back in Feb. Every morning at 8am EDT we waited for the 11 mo. window to open. We typically camp at the NASKW campgrounds in Key West every winter for a month or so. Were hoping to change things up with a stay at Bahia Honda. No joy.

Yup, the parking in downtown Key West is expensive, limited, and tight. We always ride our bicycles downtown. You can easily ride from the Key West/Stock Island bridge to Duval St. in about 20 min. The shortest route will take you through scenic, quiet, somewhat shaded residential streets.

Been there many many times. Used to drink heavily down there. Not anymore. It used to be about 20.00 for two hours and that was a few years ago. You can park at the Winn Dixie and rent a bike or take the bus. You can also get one of those bicycles that pull the cart thingy. Fun times!!!
Also if I didn't imagine it I think I saw a waiting list this time on the florida state site map.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
notsobigjoe wrote:
The loop is already gone but I got one!!! . . .
towpro wrote:
. . . Be prepared to pay a small fortune for parking in Key west, every where you go has pay at the curb machines where you put a slip on your dash.
Totally jealous you were able to make those Bahia Honda SP reservations. We tried for a week to make reservations back in Feb. Every morning at 8am EDT we waited for the 11 mo. window to open. We typically camp at the NASKW campgrounds in Key West every winter for a month or so. Were hoping to change things up with a stay at Bahia Honda. No joy.

Yup, the parking in downtown Key West is expensive, limited, and tight. We always ride our bicycles downtown. You can easily ride from the Key West/Stock Island bridge to Duval St. in about 20 min. The shortest route will take you through scenic, quiet, somewhat shaded residential streets.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
We went in June last year and found a campsite (with reservations) on Stock Island, just 1 hop from Key west @ Boyds campground. it was OK, tight as expected, and the chickens that roam the island are a PITA but we got to see Key West. A week was a little long. Be prepared to pay a small fortune for parking in Key west, every where you go has pay at the curb machines where you put a slip on your dash.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
As much as I want to see Key West, it would have to be an in and out drive in the same day when I finally get into the area in a couple years as being on time for reservations is difficult when you don't know when you'll actually reach a state.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
The loop is already gone but I got one!!! Haven't been there in years. Not looking forward to hauling my waste again but hey opportunity knocks. Thanks for the tip.