cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ez pass/toll pass placement on class A

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
I did look for topics on this but no go.

Where do I put my ezpass on a class A. The bottom of front window is fairly high up...good enough?
44 REPLIES 44

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Romer1 wrote:
My I-Pass automatically refills when my balance hits $10, so I never worry about running out.

Same here. My EZPass is connected to my credit card, just automatically maintains whatever need to be maintained. There is no running out or refilling.

I thought all toll passes were setup like this.

You're dead wrong about not running out. I can assure you it's possible and has happened. The computer systems of ezpass update in the overnight hours so if you're traveling through tolls and your low balance triggers a replenishment from your CC it's not posted until overnight. The low balance can be below zero quickly and you're going to get penalized.

I've gotten notices on my phone from my CC company within a few minutes of passing through a toll booth that my E-ZPass account has been replenished. The charge may not have shown up on my account online until later, but E-ZPass has never charged me a penalty.

Yes you have been charged, the money has been sent, but the ezpass system doesn't actually apply the credit to your account till their system updates overnight.

The penalties are NOT an everyday thing it just happens when you're going through a lot of tolls on 2 consecutive days. I have found that it's better to manually put the money on the account days prior to that type of travel than to depend on their less than quick updates.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
They have this old school thing called a phone. Call your provider and have them set it up for you.

Thank you for your kind suggestion, but it was the weekend and since we've had wonderful support here on this forum from many very kind people eager to help, we thought we'd reach out. Your suggestion has been filed.
Don and Eileen

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Romer1 wrote:
My I-Pass automatically refills when my balance hits $10, so I never worry about running out.

Same here. My EZPass is connected to my credit card, just automatically maintains whatever need to be maintained. There is no running out or refilling.

You're dead wrong about not running out. I can assure you it's possible and has happened. The computer systems of ezpass update in the overnight hours so if you're traveling through tolls and your low balance triggers a replenishment from your CC it's not posted until overnight. The low balance can be below zero quickly and you're going to get penalized.

I've gotten notices on my phone from my CC company within a few minutes of passing through a toll booth that my E-ZPass account has been replenished. The charge may not have shown up on my account online until later, but E-ZPass has never charged me a penalty.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dennis don't know if I said it before but glad to see you back in here. The bridge from MD into VA toll for 4 axles is $18 and for 5 axles it is $36. Reason is tractor trailers are mostly 5 axles. And the option is the DC, Baltimore area traffic but they were only charging south bound last time I passed there.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
One time mine did not pick up on the WV turn pike. I stopped, pointed at my EZ pass and the woman in the booth just motioned me to go on.

LMAO I did the same thing once in Califprnia. About 25 mins later I got pulled over by the Chippies asking me why I didn't pay. Apparently the toll taker called them after I passed. After a bit of a conversation, I went on my way with no ticket. California apparently charges by the number of axles so if you're towing a car you have 5 axles and are charged about double what it'd be with just a car and moho. (head slap) I no longer use toll roads if possible....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
One time mine did not pick up on the WV turn pike. I stopped, pointed at my EZ pass and the woman in the booth just motioned me to go on.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Romer1 wrote:

Bullsheet.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
The Uni covers the same as the EZ Pass, like 19 states. I purchased them when they first came out here in Florida. I was using the SunPass at the time which only worked on Florida toll roads. The first time I used the Uni here, it did not pick up and as I sailed through the gate, it flashed "Stop, pay toll." I did not want to pay double which is what you pay for the charge by plate. I called it in and was told it should have been there the same day on my account. Took three days. On my SunPass, it was there as soon as I logged in. So I sent the Uni's back. Shortly after that, SunPass came out with the SunPass Pro which covers the same as the Uni, plus some bridges. First trip Florida to Indiana it worked like a charm. Even picked me up on the new Louisville bridge, West Virginia turnpike, etc.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
They have this old school thing called a phone. Call your provider and have them set it up for you.

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
Next question - we're setting up the two transponders, but don't seem to be able to link them on one account? I'm guessing we need to just start over after we've set up the motorhome and do a separate account for the car? Every time we try to link them, it brings us to the page where you order another transponder. We don't need that. We bought two of them from Amazon.
Don and Eileen

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Romer1 wrote:

It may be possible, but I've been using I-Pass since 1997 and have yet to be charged for going below zero. I have 3 transponders and when towing, the transponder in the toad is wrapped in aluminum foil so it doesn't register. I know I exceed the $40 balance when towing from Il thru IN, OH and NY every year and have yet to be penalized. Last year I had a $56.30 toll in PA June 30th (and a negative $42.14 balance) and I-pass replenished my account on 7/2 with no penalty.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
Romer1 wrote:

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^In the old days we went through toll lanes w booths sensors were in place to detect trailers and number of axles and billed accordingly. Now that many tolls are taken from overhead sensors/cameras at full speed the old system of counting on the sensors to bill for a trailer correctly isn't always viable and it appears to vary by state as well, like in MA, where MA ezpass holders can use express lanes users of other states passes must use a manned toll booth to insure proper billing.

Like Dutch states the most fool proof method is to have a transponder for each configuration that you use on toll roads.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We have two NYS issued E-ZPass transponders for our motorhome, one coded for just the motorhome, and one coded for when we're towing our toad. Other E-ZPass states have never had a problem reading the currently used transponder, and the NYS Thruway charges us passenger car per axle rates under their "Motorhome Plan" instead of the higher "tall vehicle" per axle rates.

I need to check, but with my New Jersey EZPass my pickup truck is listed as might be towing, or something like that. As far as I can tell the EZPass charges me for the TT if I am towing, and charges me as a regular vehicle if not towing.

What seems really odd to me is the other poster who said the toad has to be accounted for differently than a trailer, since it has a motor or something? If you are towing a vehicle, than it should just be considered a "trailer" (or towed object?). But then there would probably be less fees by doing that...