cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane shut off valve opens on its own

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
On my motorhome ( perm. tank), I discoveed that my shut off valve opens back up partially after having been closed earlier. Is this an easy - simple relacement? Expensive? Doug
16 REPLIES 16

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Mugirardo, it is a chrome book so just using a keyboard. Just now I typed an M and it wanted to jump back to the front of your name. On a previous post I hit the insert sign above the 6 and it deleted the whole paragraph that I had written. if getting a new chrome book eliminates these problems For Good I will do it. Doug

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Brownleaf wrote:
Grit dog, my biggest problem is with my computer, as I will type out a paragraph and the unit will delete everything I just wrote or write back over what I am writing.

Assuming this is a laptop, keep your palms up when you type. It sounds like part of your hand is swiping the mouse pad as you type and causes the cursor to move, possibly selecting text. Then when you type the next letter, whatever text was selected gets deleted. You can also buy a desktop style keyboard (wired or wireless) and you won't have that problem anymore.

If going wireless, might as well get a keyboard and mouse combo, then you don't have to use the laptop's keyboard and mouse pad. Some laptop mousepads are a real hassle.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
All good info. i did use the furnace this winter to avoid too low temps in rv. It seemed like the propane emptied out faster than last year. Good idea on disconnecting while doing rust removal and repainting of tank. Doug

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Brownleaf wrote:
Grit dog, gennset was removed but drive could have caused it. So even if it is opening on its own, you are saying the leak detector going off is a down system issue. The tank is basically empty right now. If there is a tiny amount in it would it be unsafe to try a stove top burner? And in fact should I open it up to see if that leak detector comes back on? Doug

Presumably the leak detector is inside the camper and the valve/tank is outside, open to the air? Yes, a leak, if there is one, is likely downstream of the valve on the tank. (That could be leaking too? but not likely detected inside).

Since you're planning/needing to do work to the tank/valve it seems, I'd see what's left in it.
Turn it on and try to fire up the stove is a good way to tell.

FWIW, one can smell a very small amount of propane, but the concentration would have to be a major leak or leaking a long time and not vented to get to be enough to explode.
Or just unhook the line after the valve and vent/run out any residual gas in the tank. No smoking! LOL

I thought you had been using it regularly. My bad
You need to empty it anyway if you're doing rust work. and once it's empty you can easily replace the valve if it's giving you problems.

(I say easily, but I'm used to working on about anything that needs built or fixed, so idk what your comfort level is)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog, gennset was removed but drive could have caused it. So even if it is opening on its own, you are saying the leak detector going off is a down system issue. The tank is basically empty right now. If there is a tiny amount in it would it be unsafe to try a stove top burner? And in fact should I open it up to see if that leak detector comes back on? Doug

dedmiston
Brownleaf wrote:
Grit dog, my biggest problem is with my computer, as I will type out a paragraph and the unit will delete everything I just wrote or write back over what I am writing. I live alone and know little about computers. I say all to explain why I am not more verbose about issues. I may have bigger issues with my lp system. I am still checking to see if the valve closure was an error or it takes weeks to slowly open on its own. my 04,24 ft winnie stays in my driveway and I like to drive it once a week. I am doing various proejects such as recaulking and now rust removal from undercarriage. Doug

Hang in there Doug.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry, that makes a bit more sense.
I've never seen a propane tank valve that vibrated open, so it seems kinda strange.
Would think that is only possible when driving/vibrating. Maybe onboard generator causing vibrations?
Take this advice with a grain of salt, but if it's actually opening on it's own, I'd safety wire it if you continue to use it.

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog, my biggest problem is with my computer, as I will type out a paragraph and the unit will delete everything I just wrote or write back over what I am writing. I live alone and know little about computers. I say all to explain why I am not more verbose about issues. I may have bigger issues with my lp system. I am still checking to see if the valve closure was an error or it takes weeks to slowly open on its own. my 04,24 ft winnie stays in my driveway and I like to drive it once a week. I am doing various proejects such as recaulking and now rust removal from undercarriage. Doug

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dude, if you have to close the valve at the tank to prevent it from leaking somewhere downstream, you have bigger, more dangerous issues.

But then again, alot of what you are saying doesn't exactly make sense, like now not winter, so not using propane?
You obviously have an old moho, which presumably has other LP appliances (water heater, fridge, stove?)
And you are presumably camping or living in it, as your question(s) relate to active use of the camper, so to say the least, you leave alot to the reader's imagination as to what could be or is actually going on...

Brownleaf
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane, i was sure i had turned it off and came back later to find it open most of a turn. I THINK this happened twice. However, since I last closed it all the way this has not repeated. i will just have to keep checking it. I am not using it now but in the winter it seemed like the propane was being used up fast. i did have some beeping on a very old leak detector relative to this recent discovery of the partially opened valve. Either I was careless or it opens on its own gradually. i definitely will be getting a new kidde multi gas detector soon. Doug

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
steveh27 wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
I had to replace mine and the part was about 80$us and shop didn't change me any labor, but I would not count on that.
Matt

Matt, Where did you have that done? We are close & I may need it.

Steve, I contacted a nearby bulk propane supplier. Bad news right up front, the company changed names and won't deal with me anymore because I am not a fixed tank customer. I had to remove the tank and bring it to them for them to do the valve swap. I don't know where to send you now.
Push comes to shove, you can try Cinnabar in Sandusky MI. They are up in the thumb and they work on motor homes.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the valve handle actually turning on its own, or is the fully-closed position changing over time?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Brownleaf wrote:
On my motorhome ( perm. tank), I discoveed that my shut off valve opens back up partially after having been closed earlier. Is this an easy - simple relacement? Expensive? Doug

Would this be the same LP tank that you couldn't get filled, too rusted out, scenario form a couple months ago?

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
I had to replace mine and the part was about 80$us and shop didn't change me any labor, but I would not count on that.
Matt

Matt, Where did you have that done? We are close & I may need it.