cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Email Issues - Just looking for ideas..

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the Windows "Thunderbird" email program for many years now and the DW is now comfortable with it. Within the last several weeks, our primary Email Account has been flooded with scam emails and after checking the address on each one, if spam I label it as trash. All of these emails contain xxxxx@gmail.com address as where they came from. This particular mailbox address is one that is used for other legitimate emails, but the number of SPAM/TRASH emails received is getting bigger each day. Thunderbird won't let you block a domain like gmail.com but something has to be done. any suggestions / ideas. I don't want to use another email program as the training period for the DW would be beyond my patience and to delete this particular email box and use another one would take forever to notify those who correspond with us using it.. Maybe the answer is to just open a cold beer in the afternoon and instead of "Happy Hour", call it "Trash Cleaning Hour"..
16 REPLIES 16

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. They are still here. And still providing dsl service even.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
1492 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Rather than just deleting spam emails, report them as junk. It takes a while, but if you do that consistently, those emails will automatically go to your junk folder.
I agree. Deleting is not enough. Report as spam.

Reporting doesn't prevent the same spammers from targeting your email as it just blocks sender's specific address. Since they are aware of this, they create new email addresses knowing that a certain percent will always get through.

To a point. I use Juno and if I keep reporting items as junk, their system identifies subject line and will filter emails with similar subject lines even if the sender email is different.

For it to be effective though, I have to use Juno's online email system to identify emails as junk. If I do it through a third party like Thunderbird, it doesn't work.

Wow! Learn something new every day!
I thought Juno had died yeas ago and gone to cyber-heaven!

~

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
1492 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Rather than just deleting spam emails, report them as junk. It takes a while, but if you do that consistently, those emails will automatically go to your junk folder.

Reporting doesn't prevent the same spammers from targeting your email as it just blocks sender's specific address. Since they are aware of this, they create new email addresses knowing that a certain percent will always get through.

To a point. I use Juno and if I keep reporting items as junk, their system identifies subject line and will filter emails with similar subject lines even if the sender email is different.

For it to be effective though, I have to use Juno's online email system to identify emails as junk. If I do it through a third party like Thunderbird, it doesn't work.

time2roll wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
If the spam seems to be originating from a "legitimate" email, have you contacted that person to let them know?

I have Yahoo email, I just click the obvious spam emails as "spam" and Yahoo seems to stop any further emails from that address. I do try to make sure it is not a hacked email from someone I know, in case some legitimate emails might be mixed in.

As far as I know Yahoo won't block a domain like gmail.com, plus I wouldn't want it to. I don't think you want to block an entire domain, that would block way too much.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:

way2roll wrote:
1492 wrote:
Create a filter rule that sends 'ends with' @gmail.com to Junk, Trash, or another folder you create. You can then review those emails at your leisure. Deleting them in one fell swoop if appropriate. At least they won't clog up your Inbox.

What if legitimate emails come from a gmail account?

That's why the filter is sending them to a designated folder. You than can review the email before deleting them.

I created a folder called REVIEW that sends non essential email that I don't want taking up space in my Inbox. Then check the contents when I have time, though not as often as my Inbox.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I have 3 E-dresses, 2 are the same box (Actually I have about 20 but the other 17 are the trash can) I use G-mail as the spam trap. If I'm doing something that has a high probity of causing me to get spammed I'm user@gmail

If It is a site I seriously wish to do business with and low spam level. user@my e-mail reflector address (Which is reflected to my real E-dress which I do not give out) Why the reflector? Well if I change E-mail providers. One fast transaction and all mail is not directed to the NEW destination.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
we use 7 or 8 g-mail addresses. as of may 30th G-Mail is implimenting additional security features which may render T-Bird useless.

The link you posted explains how Thunderbird already deals with the new security measures !

Security Changes to G-Mail

Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use Sieve server side filter to create a Questionable Spam folder or GMail folder and dump anything with a gmail address in there.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
I have been using the Windows "Thunderbird" email program for many years now ...

So have I !! I could not live with out it !!!

I use Thunderbird in IMAP mode which means the INBOX is still in Gmail and so are all of your folders unless you have made them local (Hint : make a Local DRAFT folder and tell Thunderbird to use it !)

DD716TED wrote:
Thunderbird won't let you block a domain like gmail.com

Block it in Gmail ! It does the filtering first before it gets to Thunderbird. I have Gmail filter some email into folders and it works fine !

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
1492 wrote:
Create a filter rule that sends 'ends with' @gmail.com to Junk, Trash, or another folder you create. You can then review those emails at your leisure. Deleting them in one fell swoop if appropriate. At least they won't clog up your Inbox.

What if legitimate emails come from a gmail account?

To the OP, why not just get a gmail account? It's free and they are pretty good about weeding out spam. Apparently Thunderbird doesn't have much in the way of spam filters, so just get an email account with one that does. Gmail "training period" would take about 5 minutes.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Long shot but try. *.*@gmail.com as your filter mail to trash.
*.* is part of an old dos command.