cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AGM Deep Cycle batteries

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
My flooded batteries are toast in the trailer.
I have been buying AGM starting batteries for boat and truck and like them. No maintenance and no corrosion.

Thinking of going to two. 6 Volt AGM batteries for the trailer.
Would this be a good choice?
How do they handle freezing temperatures?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
22 REPLIES 22

BeenOffGrid
Explorer
Explorer

Is it safe to charge the AGM 'Deep Cycle' on front of my trailer via the vehicles 7-pin trailer connector while my vehicle has an AGM 'Starting' battery?

That deep cycle AGM mounted on the trailer also has a solar controller connected to it with two panels on the roof -  Wasn't if the deep cycle vs. starting AGM would be a big deal or not but figured you guys may have some added technical on this.  Thanks in advance for any input.

I wouldn't but many doo.  I don't use the charging from the 7 pin as it is designed for a starting battery and in all reality if you havent donne anything to it, it realy isn't doing much when it reached your batteries in the rv.   AGM need a custom charg profile to charge properly just like gel, Li and other batteries.  I use my solar or the rv converter for all rv battery charging, that will be changing soon on my camper as I will be installign a dc to dc charge for emergency use so I can do the proper profile for my batteries.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

That makes sense.   Gonna try pulling the 30amp fuse under the hood to cut outbound 12v at the 7-pin.

Right now I have 6x 100w panels keeping that badass 100ah AGM deepcycle topped.  It usually uses 2x 100w panels of it's own to a 30amp controller.  Things been a great battery since I picked it up (last winter).  Using it exclusively for the lift jack, trailer brake-a-way, fridge/freezer, lights, propane heater, etc in conjunction with a 400ah lithium bank.

Today installed a waterproof 30a receptacle on the exterior of the KZ to connect directly to a 3000w inverter going to a lithium bank.  Just getting ready to put the batteries, inverter, and controller back in before the upcoming trip.

Thought about a DC-DC charger at some point.  Did you find any specific brand you like?

I just bought the renogy 20amp one.  for me I have enought solar to make up my usage by 11 am to noon a sunny day in the lait fall and I have a 304AH LFP battery for capacity..  the dc to dc was just an "emergency" backup if I ran into a week or so of bad weather, as there is no way I'll ever have a generator.  Also I didn't want to put a big load on my altanator.  I could have went with the 40amp one no problem but the 20amp one was on sale for cheep.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Yes it will work fine. Just don't expect earth shattering charging rates through the 7 pin.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Copy that.  Wasn't sure if it'd back-feed to the truck battery as the solar controller is pumping out AGM charging voltage up to 30amps under sun.

Much respect
Ben

Itโ€™s fine. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ivbinconned wrote:
The converter is a WFCO 55 amp. Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s original In a 2009 Cedar Creek.
Seems to me this converter will not start to even charge if the temps are really low.
Good time to upgrade the converter and stop undercharging the batteries.
Although I assume the WFCO never hits boost voltage putting 14.4 volts on the battery. This is also the reason the charging is terrible at low temperatures.

No particular reason to go 6v in AGM format. I recommend Lifeline if going AGM.

AGM is a bit better at freeze resistance but can still be damaged if low on charge well below freezing.

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Per the other question - just like flooded batteries, fully charged AGM's won't freeze until they get to -74F.
I have two Grp 31 AGM's in my boat, that is stored "indoors" but at outdoor temps all winter here in Minn. (Oct to May). This will be year 12 for them. Yeah, I'm pushing my luck, but they have been amazing. Came out of storage this spring still at 95% fully charged. I always just fully charge, disconnect all cables at one terminal, and forget about them till spring.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
AGM is far, FAR superior to flooded lead acid. AGM is a much better choice!

Although recently their have been some quality LifePo batteries that ar good quality.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'm having excellent results from telecom batteries. I got them at the Interstate store. When one battery in a string in the tower goes bad, they replace them all. They are tested and "reconditioned" and have a warranty.

I do have an upscale charger, and solar, too.

So I got 556 amp-hours of batteries for $395 (usd).

I'll replace them with SiO2 when the time comes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rather than 2 X 6V GC AGM batteries & have used a single 4D case size AGM. On my second battry now. The first had a lifespan of 9 years. Each year having 5-6 months use with a mixture of mostly with power sites but also some dry camping.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a monitor that shows amps and volts so you can tell when during being charged at constant 14.4v they are down to 1/2 an amp per 100AH of bank ?

Do you have a charger that stays at 14.4v until amps get to that at which time you are supposed to drop the voltage to 13.x?

How do you get your charger to do that when you want it to and not before?

Can your charger meet the 20% charging rate specs for Trojan, Lifeline, etc AGMs ?

Is your gen big enough to run the charger doing that many amps?

If so, good to go
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
The converter is a WFCO 55 amp. Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s original In a 2009 Cedar Creek.
Seems to me this converter will not start to even charge if the temps are really low.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek