Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Travel Trailer Towing Recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Travel Trailer Towing Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/22 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While Grit dog is taking a few jabs from others, I'll add that Grit seems to have an issue with yard birds, ankle biters etc. I don't think his issue in this case is from personal experience. IIRC he just raised a couple of well behaved boys, that grew into helpful family contributors!

Jerry

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/22 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

...5. A van is the best option for Hauling the booger eaters and still being able to tow albeit with an inferior drivetrain compared to about any other option. But sucks for everything else.
And who the F wants to drive a short bus around town and to the grocery store and park it in the winter because traction sux? Vans are for people with too many kids and/or not enough money...

I would not say that the Express has inferior drivetrain. The 6.6 or 6.0 gas engine with 6 sp transmission and 3.42 is not inferior. I personally appreciate the 3.42 for the balance of fuel economy and capability.

Driving it around town is not much different than an HD crew cab. Way easier to load things into, like the slushie machine we take camping (or deliver for party rentals). Easy to get PVC pipe or 12 ft boards. A couple bags of salt in the back, good snow rated tires, and no issues in the winter.

Of course, Grit will never see the advantages.

Sorry, good for plumbers and small time construction guys as well.
I fully understand the "advantages" of a van.
And by inferior, I didn't mean incapable. Just inferior. Any number of 1/2 tons will outpull the best (the only) drivetrain option available. Step up a notch to a big pickup and it's not even a fair fight.

Aside from being able to haul ALL the grandkids at the same time, I cannot think of another "advantage" a HD van would have for a retired couple that lives in the snow belt who are apparently looking for a very expensive luxury SUV.
Have friends with a big van. They also have like 6 or 9 kids...I lose track. The ONLY time I see him in it, is if there are more @sses going for a ride than there are seats available in their car or suv.

Economical? From a cost benefit ratio as a tow rig, yup, I see it. Lightly used vans are considerably less than a lightly used crew cab base model gasser truck with a similar drivetrain (minus the 4wd, some of us go places that snow tires and a posi rear end won't cut it, 4wd vans are otherworldly expensive, comparatively). No cheaper way to safely haul people, gear and tow a small to moderate size trailer all at the same time.
Recommending a van for these folks is like recommending a diesel dually. Kinda silly, in different ways...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/22 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

While Grit dog is taking a few jabs from others, I'll add that Grit seems to have an issue with yard birds, ankle biters etc. I don't think his issue in this case is from personal experience. IIRC he just raised a couple of well behaved boys, that grew into helpful family contributors!

Jerry

Haha, no, I presume you mean little kids (aka the crumb muncher comments). Nah, it's all cool. I am glad to not be vacuuming up fishy cracker and juice box stew out of the seats and carpets anymore, though.
Our kids are pretty good kids, thank you for remembering. Oldest is coming home next week from his first year at college. Proud to say he just got all As and Bs as a Junior in Marine Biology (this is his freshman year, did 2 years of college courses in high school).
Younger boy will get his drivers license in a couple monts if

I was simply being funny, providing some banter. There's too much stuff that is far too serious in our lives right now to be offended or take anything personally on the internet.

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/22 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Jeep Wagoneer is body on frame, rated for 10k towing. Available air suspension. Might be worth a look.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/22 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

...5. A van is the best option for Hauling the booger eaters and still being able to tow albeit with an inferior drivetrain compared to about any other option. But sucks for everything else.
And who the F wants to drive a short bus around town and to the grocery store and park it in the winter because traction sux? Vans are for people with too many kids and/or not enough money...

I would not say that the Express has inferior drivetrain. The 6.6 or 6.0 gas engine with 6 sp transmission and 3.42 is not inferior. I personally appreciate the 3.42 for the balance of fuel economy and capability.

Driving it around town is not much different than an HD crew cab. Way easier to load things into, like the slushie machine we take camping (or deliver for party rentals). Easy to get PVC pipe or 12 ft boards. A couple bags of salt in the back, good snow rated tires, and no issues in the winter.

Of course, Grit will never see the advantages.

One of the best snow vehicles I ever had was a 15 passenger E350. It was a "company car" that I drove around to sell medical equipment. I put studded snows on it, and it was an absolute beast in the snow.

I remember going over Ike in a blizzard with the traction law in place without any trouble.

I should also say that is the least favorite vehicle I have ever owned. Personally, I will never have another.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/22 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Recommending a van for these folks is like recommending a diesel dually. Kinda silly, in different ways...

Because we all know that a 3500 SRW standard box diesel would be acceptable. (Which I do have to park next to my Extended Express)[emoticon]

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/22 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 4x4 unfitting price for a van on the east coast is about the price differential between a comparably equipped crew cab or 3 row SUV. Vans are less expensive because people don’t want them like they want a truck or SUV. While the van will not match the towing weight of the truck, the truck will not match the traveling comfort for more than 5 adults/teens.

It’s not like to “good ol days” when you simply put the excess passengers in the bed of the PU. [emoticon] (more friendly banter)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/22 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Vans are also for people who require interior cargo space PUs and SUVs cannot offer. A van with locking rear and the right tires offers adequate traction for summer on road towing; 4x4 towing is really only needed for off road towing and towing in the snow (which most don’t do). This comes from 20 years experience boondocking on dry and wet pastures.

Grew up with my Dad using vans for decades. This included winter trips Up North in Michigan for snowmobiling. Once you load up a van with 1500lb of people and gear and then put a trailer on the back, there is plenty of traction.

No it's not an off roading machine but neither is an F350 dually 4x4 diesel.

It's more than suitable for what the OP described.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/22 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We grew up with vans. Didn’t tow with them but we did make multiple ski trips a winter for decades from Chicago to Breckinridge CO (via the Ike, and before the Ike over Loveland pass). Good tires and chains when required were all that was needed for traction. For years in the 70s one of my uncles drove a dodge van from Denver over Berthoud pass for weekend skiing (most weekends) at Winter Park. The van worked well for him, his wife, and their 3 daughters plus all their equipment.

* This post was edited 05/17/22 06:43am by BCSnob *

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/22 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just priced out a 2022 Chevrolet Express 3500, 12 passenger van loaded ready to go, $47,000.00. Not a bad price compared to a Suburban, Expedition, or Jeep Grand Wagoner.
That will tow that TT and all the grandkids without a doubt.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Travel Trailer Towing Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.