Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Travel Trailer Towing Recommendations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Travel Trailer Towing Recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/22 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Also, WORK is different than towing a camper.

You don't put 3000lbs in the back of a 1/2 ton truck and set out on a 500 mile trip. You drive across town. You don't hitch up to a flatbed trailer loaded with a mini excavator that weighs 12,000lbs and set out on a 500 mile trip. You drive across town.

Half ton trucks will do a LOT of WORK when you don't need to go faster than 35MPH. You'll be smashing your head into the steering wheel after about 2 hours trying to go on a camping trip of any distance limited to 35MPH.

When I see pickups with 3000lb loads or pulling 12k lb trailers, they are almost always 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. The up front cost difference is negligible and most companies are smart enough to know that if they will get regular heavy duty use, it pays to upgrade the truck.

Vast majority of 1/2 ton trucks are grocery getters. Even the company 1/2 ton trucks are rarely used for much more than a landscaping utility trailer or a few hundred pounds in the bed.

Of course, someone is likely going to come back and claim they see 4000lb payloads and 15k lb trailers pulled cross country all the time with 1/2 ton trucks...and claim it's fine because of a belief that the engineers have nothing to do with truck ratings.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/22 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

No pickup, SUV or van should be towing a TT with 10 bodies in the TV. The bus suggestion makes sense. OR TWO or THREE VEHICLES on each trip!

Pickups and SUVs are not suitable because they don't have seats for 10 bodies.

A full size 12 or 15 passenger van is quite suitable for 10 people. Assuming 150lb average (mix of adults and kids), that's 1500lb of payload used. With a 1 ton van, that leaves around 1500lb for hitch weight and other misc stuff in the van.

So why do you think no van should be used?

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Besides , I thought the collective majority here was beyond that and firmly onto how perfect a 1 ton passenger van is for the application.

Well, they do have a point. There really isn't anything else that will allow him to bring along his gaggle of grandkids and pull that big bunkhouse travel trailer.

We all know how willing RVers are to compromise, as in they are not. The compromise here would be to transport the kids in a people hauler and then he could haul the camper with one of the higher-rated 1/2 ton offerings, but not when you are bringing along 6-10 grandkids.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the OP has left the building. He didn’t get the answer he wanted.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geo*Boy wrote:

I think the OP has left the building. He didn’t get the answer he wanted.

He probably doesn’t want a van either! Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob,

Not surprised rear air is available for a cargo van. But figured it was an option, vs std for all but maybe base passenger models.

You are correct, the 15 passenger model vans are about the length of an ext pickup with 8' bed, or crew cab with the short 6.5' bed. The CC with super short 5.5' bed, possibly a bit shorter yet.

Having been driving 22' vans for work the last 10 years, I prefer the sprinter to the transit I'm driving now. While I can turn in a smaller diam with the transit with it's 130" WB. The ride and balancing the load between the axles is much easier the the 155" WB sprinter. The turning radius is not much less, I believe the sprinters front tire turn 52-54 degrees off center vs 45-50 for the transit.
Both models have stock SW and duallies for max payload.
Power wise, it's hard to beat a GM with it's detuned Dmax. The 6.x L gas motor would be no slouch either. If one can get a 3.5 Ecoboost with it's 350-400 HP. That would be a good 12 passenger option, ie with out the added 4' body extension in the rear.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The safe bet is a 3/4 ton pick up.
They don't cost much more than a 1/2 ton or SUV.
I don't understand the resistance to buying one.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/22 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP wants to travel with 6 adults plus 4 grandchildren; name a 10 passenger PU.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/22 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

The OP wants to travel with 6 adults plus 4 grandchildren; name a 10 passenger PU.

And the OP likely thinks y’all are nuckin futz for recommending a cargo van when he wants a nice SUV.
We all get it. There ain’t a legit 10 passenger SUV, or even a 9 passenger that is well suited for his purported intended purpose.
For those late to the party, like ppine, thank you for your valuable contribution…

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got it, commuters traveling in van pools are cargo not people/passengers. Clearly no biases. For us, PUs and SUVs are a waste of money; vastly insufficient interior climate controlled volume. But unlike some, I can see that our needs and preferences may be different than others and for those others PUs and SUVs are useful.

Perhaps this tread would have been more useful had the approach been to recommend vehicles that would fit with the desired traveling companions as opposed to pushing vehicles that would require excluding family members from the traveling plans.

* This post was edited 05/21/22 10:57am by BCSnob *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Travel Trailer Towing Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.