cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bigfoot dirty water streaks down sides from roof, solutions?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
As much as I enjoy my Bigfoot, I am befuddled by dirty water streaks coming off the roof, running down the sides and over the windows. On the walls it is just aesthetics but they also flow over the windows leaving a less than appealing dirty window to enjoy the views from. This doesn't just happen in rainy weather either. Often just the morning condensation is enough to cause this water to start dripping down the sides.

My thought has been to purchase some foam tape on a roll and run on the top of the roof just before it arcs toward the side in the hope of directing the water to roll into the corners of the roof and minimize the streaks. The issue with this idea is I doubt there is any foam tape that will have enough stickiness to stay on after any meaningful time. Eternabond tape could be a solution but not sure I want to have something that sticky either. Guess I'm goldilocks...

Has anyone else encountered this issue and come up with a decent solution that doesn't involve washing windows every morning?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
30 REPLIES 30

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

I bought a 25’ roll on Amazon for $38.86 the model number is DRB-25. Make sure the area is cleaned with isopropyl alcohol before installing. Lay the drip rail in the sun for awhile so it becomes pliable. Once installed, rub the rail with an old toothbrush handle to heat activate the tape.
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
bigfootgrey wrote:

I’ve been contemplating installing rain gutters for awhile. Finally put Trim Loc over all the windows. The weather has been hot enough lately to soften the material to make it easier to work with and allow a good bond for the 3-m tape

Do you have a part number for what you used? I'd like to do the same.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

I’ve been contemplating installing rain gutters for awhile. Finally put Trim Loc over all the windows. The weather has been hot enough lately to soften the material to make it easier to work with and allow a good bond for the 3-m tape
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
My current 32' 5er didn't come with a drip channel or awning rail.
I ordered enough EZE RV Rain Gutter system for the roof edge and down the corners about a foot.
Its a stick on type. That was in 2000 and its still stuck tight and drains the water to the end corners and down. No sidewall streaks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be looking into this.

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
Rubber roofs degrade especially after 5 years in the sun.

The toy hauler we used to have showed black streaks bad after 10 years. I cleaned the rubber and used a white coating (do not remember the brand now just that it is not made any longer). After calling round I found out Henry silicone roof coating tropical white. After the process no more rubber roof degrading and streaking on the sides.
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

Curious, what do you use to strip it off?

Zep makes floor wax stripper. If you want to strip regular auto paste wax, you can also use dilute ammonia.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My current 32' 5er didn't come with a drip channel or awning rail.
I ordered enough EZE RV Rain Gutter system for the roof edge and down the corners about a foot.
Its a stick on type. That was in 2000 and its still stuck tight and drains the water to the end corners and down. No sidewall streaks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone used Wet & Forget on a RV? I've used it on the rubber roofs of the previous Montana and the TPO roof of the Landmark.
I had a Classic Industries cover on the Bigfoot for quite a while. It developed a light mildew. The area between the back of the A/C and the rear skylight had more mildew and **** on it. It's a pretty tight area to access and I've been thinking about spraying Wet & Forget in there and maybe the entire roof.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:

I have heard that it yellows and peels off in pieces. Difficult to completely remove. Your experience?

Mine has been on the RV for several years with no peeling, no flaking, no yellowing. I typical do a Spring cleanup with a soap and water and then apply another thin coat of Zep by wiping with a dampened rag.

A couple of years ago I did have an issue with bug splatters that had dried on for months. I had to strip the nose of the RV and apply several thin coats of Zep.

There is a major issue and that is surface prep. Zep is not going to do well when applied over dirt, old paste wax or on an old, oxidized surface. I used wax stripper, then swabbed again with a pretty stiff ammonia solution. Finally I hand scrubbed the entire RV with a 3M scotch pad and Bar Keepers Friend. That sounds like lots of work but really that was not much more than it would take to hand apply a paste wax finish. After prep, I used a rag dampened with Zep to apply thin coats. It takes a minimum of two coats to get a decent shine and a couple more to build up the finish so it will last. I can say for sure it does last, year after year.

Zep also stops oxidation and bleaching of surface due to sunshine. The acrylics in Zep block UV light.

Prep being the key, I'm sure. It's basically a poor mans clearcoat (not to read anything into it).
One of these days, when I have time, the top cap on my snomachine trailer (it's red, so oxidation shows) is oxidized. Side panels are as shiny as they were in 2005 when it was made. I'm excited to use the Zep polish on this area.

Curious, what do you use to strip it off?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, black streaks are a problem with a BF...hahahaaa.
When I wash my BF I get up on the roof and wash it first...
I mounted my solar panels high enough to get my brush under them...
I use a good wax once a year and wax as you dry every time I wash but only on the sides.

Reddog1 put a trim piece along the top edges to reduce the black streaks. It worked but It sure did look ugly...

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Last night I waited until the sun got low behind the trees and attacked the Bigfoot. Started with the lightest acting thing I had...Meguairs Cleaner and Wax, old reliable in the dark red bottle. Less than $10 at WalMart. Used a 4" microfiber on an old random orbit. It worked pretty good. The old no name buffer is a whole lot lighter weight than my Porter Cable. I got the front overhead done and half of one side. Hopefully finish the one side tonight.
It did remove the black streaks.
I put some chemical Guys Butter Wax on the front of the overhead for a little more shine.
I'll be ready for The Knoxville Nationals sprint car races in beautiful Iowa.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^ Thanks Jim. Good info.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:

I have heard that it yellows and peels off in pieces. Difficult to completely remove. Your experience?

Mine has been on the RV for several years with no peeling, no flaking, no yellowing. I typical do a Spring cleanup with a soap and water and then apply another thin coat of Zep by wiping with a dampened rag.

A couple of years ago I did have an issue with bug splatters that had dried on for months. I had to strip the nose of the RV and apply several thin coats of Zep.

There is a major issue and that is surface prep. Zep is not going to do well when applied over dirt, old paste wax or on an old, oxidized surface. I used wax stripper, then swabbed again with a pretty stiff ammonia solution. Finally I hand scrubbed the entire RV with a 3M scotch pad and Bar Keepers Friend. That sounds like lots of work but really that was not much more than it would take to hand apply a paste wax finish. After prep, I used a rag dampened with Zep to apply thin coats. It takes a minimum of two coats to get a decent shine and a couple more to build up the finish so it will last. I can say for sure it does last, year after year.

Zep also stops oxidation and bleaching of surface due to sunshine. The acrylics in Zep block UV light.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:

I'll probably start with light polish and see what happens. I've got a collection of miracle cures that don't work.

There's no miracle cure, other than keeping water from running down the surface in the first place, IMO. Our new camper last year, takes up too much of the shop, so it is outside. Just from being parked on a cross slope, the one front gutter would drain onto the side of the camper. It would only take a few weeks and it would have a streak that required some elbow grease to remove. Started blocking up the low side wheels, no more water, no more streaks.

I'm familiar. All my junk sits outside except the bay boat. In the winter it gets a lot of rain and in the summer a lot of sun. Our 2 previous 5th wheels were a Cougar and a Montana HC. The Montana about killed me. Compounding and waxing the filon spring and fall. Went with the Landmark that is full body paint. It will get some light streaks but so far they have washed off easy.
Son asks me "when are you going to get a cover?" Never. I'm 72 years old. I might not be doing this RV thing in 6 months.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4