Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do NOT blow air into onboard water vent

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I know you experts know better. For everyone else

We don't normally use the onboard water. I give it a spring run-through, forget about it.

In a couple weeks we will use it. So, I figured a bit of bleech and a good flushing was called for.

For some reason the vent/overflow screen was on the ground. I reinstalled it. I noticed right away that even low flow of water was causing back-flow. I briefly thought of running a coat hanger into the vent...or maybe hitting it with a blast of air. Luckily, my inner self suggests I remove the vent hose. Flushing it outside of the trailer.

Whatever it was...reminded me of a miniature version of the gunk that clogs the shower drain.

Imagine blowing or pushing that BACK INTO the fresh water tank.

The good news is....tank does its job, pump works. I filled/drained it several times. Gave the system a good flushing. Still probably drink bottled water, but at least I know the toilet will be using safe water.
3 REPLIES 3

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I've had mine plug. I did the coat hanger trick. It worked fine after that.

I know that what ever the plug was I pushed it into the tank but, I don't drink the water from the tank anyway.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:
I know you experts know better. For everyone else

We don't normally use the onboard water. I give it a spring run-through, forget about it.

In a couple weeks we will use it. So, I figured a bit of bleech and a good flushing was called for.

For some reason the vent/overflow screen was on the ground. I reinstalled it. I noticed right away that even low flow of water was causing back-flow. I briefly thought of running a coat hanger into the vent...or maybe hitting it with a blast of air. Luckily, my inner self suggests I remove the vent hose. Flushing it outside of the trailer.

Whatever it was...reminded me of a miniature version of the gunk that clogs the shower drain.

Imagine blowing or pushing that BACK INTO the fresh water tank.

The good news is....tank does its job, pump works. I filled/drained it several times. Gave the system a good flushing. Still probably drink bottled water, but at least I know the toilet will be using safe water.

I had mine clog a few years ago. Started to poke, then decided to disconnect the tube from the inside. A mason bee had laid 4 eggs in the tube. Now I have a better screen.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 5er that always got pressure in the fresh water tank whenever I filled it. I tracked down the vent and it had a sag, water trap, in it. I tied up the low spot so it couldn't sag and no more problem. I imagine it could get pretty nasty in there! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!