cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long can one store a gas engined motorhome?

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
with covid we have been nowhere for 2 years.
the MH is in a shed so it is dry.
batteries are connected to a ctek charger and are not connected to the MH.
will the engine etc be okay?
we put in the drying pots over the rainy winter,
when we do take it out, is there anything prudent to do first?
on vancouver island BC
thanks all
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
22 REPLIES 22

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
the genny carb was drained when we parked it. hope that is enough.
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
If you are generator equipped, I would disconnect the fuel supply to the generator (and cap it off) and run the generator until it stops. In lieu of that, Onan recommends that you heat cycle the generator on a monthly basis. (run it for +-30 minutes under moderate load)

Chum lee

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
When put to the test none of the "stabilizers" works very well. Aviation 104 has 0 ethanol and last dang near forever. Had it in my dually that was stored for 4 years with this in the tanks. New battery and it fired right up, and never missed a beat. Ethanol is the enemy, if you have to store it for long periods of time....put non ethanol fuel in the tank. It's not as good a Av gas, but it better in the long run.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
hope to hear from them
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Millions use Seafoam

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
has anyone else used seafoam?
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
what is seafoam and what does it definitely do?
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
If mine I would treat the old fuel with Seafoam according to the amount of gas in the tank... a little heavy on the Seafoam will not hurt it.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
all this advice is very welcome
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we once stored ours for 3-years. MPG sucked more than usual when we went out again but otherwise no ill effects. i did occasionally exercise it during those years. pay particular attention to the tires.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check oil, check coolant level, check tranny level. If you put fuel stablizer in, it could be okay..

Since it's a 2006, it'll have fuel injection, so a bunch of electronics linked with that, but as long as the engine batteries are strong and it's not been infested with rodents in the engine compartment, it should fire up.

If you have 75 gallons of 2 year old gas, just go out and see how it's running and if bad, try to get thru 1/4 tank and put some fresh gas in, drive it some more, etc.. If it's driving okay off the bat, take the tank down as far as you dare and fill up with fresh stuff..

What the rest of the rig is like, is just gonna be what it is.. Check the water system by just pressuring up the system and checking for leaks. I like doing this with the water pump only and then letting it pressure up and then wait and see if the pump cycles on/off. If it does that, start looking for leaks. It could be the pump itself too, but main thing is to check for leaks.

Check the propane. Open the valve and check for leaks initially, then start firing up the stove, heater, water heater, fridge.

Pretty much what I do every Spring on my TT.. I don't have the engine to deal with, but that's just like any other truck vehicle out there and I've worked on old stuff and the like that has sat before, and as long as you can turn a wrench and know the basics of an internal combustion engine, it should all be a DIY job.

If not, bust open the wallet and hope you can find someone to fix you up. 🙂

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.