cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's talk dirt

Teeshot1939
Explorer
Explorer
Need recommendations on how to clean and protect my Winnebago 11 year old fiberglass roof. It spent 6 months under an oak tree in Florida and looks just plain filthy. Thinking dawn soap for surface clean then Dicor Clean and Prep followed by Dicor Fiberglass RV Roof Coating. Any experience with these or other products? Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
A little bleach in the wash will do wonders for killing the fungus growing on the roof.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Your plan seems reasonable to me. However, “pretty” roofs aren’t the goal. Extremely water resistant is the goal.

My Roof was Bright Tec (one of the rubber roofs)

I treated it just like the kitchen floor with some minor changes.

2x a year I'd go up with a mop (or Long handled "Van wash" brush more often than not. this is a telescoping handle car wash brush. Flow through though that feature is not needed)

A bucket.
Spic and Span (just like the kitchen)

A garden hose with sprayer.. charged (pressurized)

and optionally a broom (The brush can double as a broom)

Brush all the loose stuff off. do an initial inspection.

Fill bucket about 2/3 with water and Spic & Span (I liked to go a bit heavy on the cleaner)

Then starting as far from the ladder as possible mop a 2-3 foot swath. hose it down, next swatch, hose it down and so on till I was standing on the ladder doing the last little bit.

You should then (next day) do a second roof inspection.
With rubber I did not treat. but with fiberglass... Might be needed. I'm not an expert on fiberglass roofs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I use a long handled brush with detergent to clean around vents, a/c etc. and power wash the rest.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
When I really need a deep clean on my fiberglass roof I use powdered comet with a scrub brush.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your plan seems reasonable to me. However, “pretty” roofs aren’t the goal. Extremely water resistant is the goal.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad