cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EPDM roof Material or Something Else?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I remember reading this a while ago - there are two types of roof's installed on RV's. EPDM and something else.

I know 2Oldman is the king of all searches - but I'm not that good.

I remember the way to differentiate was the coloring on teh back.

Today I pulled one of my vents off and found the color on the a "blackish" color. Which roof type do I have -

And as long as you're reading this.. What adhesive do I use to reattach a replacement piece to the sub-straight base?

Thanks

Josh
16 REPLIES 16

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Doug,

As always, thank you so much for the guidance and advice.
I was thinking exactly the same idea for resealing it after it was reattached.
Eternabond, and once it's all together (with new wood underneath) I was going to put one of the roof coatings (hengs, henry, etc) - of course, not knowing which one to use, If I'm in for an inch, I'm in for a mile. I'll ask.

Which has been the best performing coating that you've used?

Thanks!

josh

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
snipped

PS, Use the link and use that glue to do your repair. What I do for your type is to cut out the square area and remove the rubber. Cut a slightly larger piece of rubber and glue in place and then use Eternabond around the perimeter.

https://dicorproducts.com/product/water-based-bonding-adhesive/
THAT is why I like reading your posts. As simple as it is I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way but it would definitely work better than what I would have done.

I would have cut a slit at the bubbled part, laid it down flat and put Eternabond on the cut part to seal it. I still wouldn't have the repair glued down doing that, even though it would be sealed.

I am also a lousy carpenter. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jodeb720 wrote:
I got a pinhole last october and by the time I had found out about the hole, I had a bubble (like the top of a 747) of the 5er.

Since the Trailer is 12 years old - for the time being i just want to reattach the existing roof (except for the single hole - the roof is in decent shape) the existing EPDM back the wood substrate.

As Doug Pointed out in another email - because of the age of the 5er - If I was going to do it right, I would replace the entire roof - but for the time being I need to seal it up so I can use it for the season.

So my question is: What is the correct type of adhesive to use to attach epdm to the wood substrate of the roof?

The ONLY CORRECT way to attach a TPO/EPDM roof to the roof is to pull the OLD off and redeck(overlay) the existing wood deck. Then use EPDM/TPO approved adhesive. If you attempt to install new TPO/EPDM over the existing wood after removing the old, the new glue will not adhere correctly to the old decking and you will have hundreds of little bumps under the new roof material. Below is the link for the adhesive. Doug

PS, Use the link and use that glue to do your repair. What I do for your type is to cut out the square area and remove the rubber. Cut a slightly larger piece of rubber and glue in place and then use Eternabond around the perimeter.

https://dicorproducts.com/product/water-based-bonding-adhesive/

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
I got a pinhole last october and by the time I had found out about the hole, I had a bubble (like the top of a 747) of the 5er.

Since the Trailer is 12 years old - for the time being i just want to reattach the existing roof (except for the single hole - the roof is in decent shape) the existing EPDM back the wood substrate.

As Doug Pointed out in another email - because of the age of the 5er - If I was going to do it right, I would replace the entire roof - but for the time being I need to seal it up so I can use it for the season.

So my question is: What is the correct type of adhesive to use to attach epdm to the wood substrate of the roof?

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
jodeb720 wrote:
OP here -

First thanks to IAMICHABOD that link told me I have an EPDM roof - Now the follow up question - what adhesive is the correct one to repair a section of the roof?

Thanks!

josh

How big of a section are you needing to repair? If it's a tear, get Eternabond tape. If it's a small hole, the I would use Eternabond and then Dicor self levelling.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
...So itโ€™s not quite clear to me why one would seek to avoid TPO??

3 tons
Unfamiliarity, and not enough knowledge on the subject.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
My TPO Roof (thermopolyolifin) is about as good today as the day I bought the camper 13 years ago, in fact I canโ€™t even see a differenceโ€ฆWhen not in use, the truck camper has been โ€˜mostlyโ€™ (but not always) covered, yet gets used regularly, Iโ€™d estimate that between two different vehicles it has about 185k miles on it, including plenty of NV high desert campingโ€ฆSo itโ€™s not quite clear to me why one would seek to avoid TPO??

3 tons

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
EPDM
TPO
Fiberglass
Aluminum

I would avoid the first two. My first RV, a Winnebago had a fiberglass roof. The same stuff that was on the sidewalls. My current Airstream has aluminum. When shopping I immediately ruled out anything with EPDM or TPO.

Please explain the basis for your comment. I have over 43 years as a RV tech. I have seen ALL roof materials. While I also would prefer Fiberglass, I would NOT like Metal roofs. Metal roofs will be damaged by normal size Hail that would dent a car. Fiberglass, rarely. It takes a LOT to punch holes thru fiberglass. It takes a LOT for Hail to damage a TPO/EPDM roof. For cost, I would like a EPDM/TPO roof. Your Airstream, the COST basis alone makes a Metal roof standard. Doug

The basis for my comment? Personal preference. While I know that a good hail storm will dent my aluminum roof, I would be REALLY surprised if it punctured it. Dents, I can live with. You state that "{i}t takes a LOT to punch holes thru fiberglass." I posit that it takes more to punch a hole through aluminum.

The Aluminum can get "cuts/cracks" instead of holes. While you state a Hailstorm will dent your roof. Well, A/S's do NOT just get dented roofs. Depending on which way the storm is blowing you get hail damage on various sides also. Regular RV's (very few metal sides left) just get roof top hail damage unless Fiberglass. Doug (we also service/sell A/S)

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
OP here -

First thanks to IAMICHABOD that link told me I have an EPDM roof - Now the follow up question - what adhesive is the correct one to repair a section of the roof?

Thanks!

josh

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
EPDM
TPO
Fiberglass
Aluminum

I would avoid the first two. My first RV, a Winnebago had a fiberglass roof. The same stuff that was on the sidewalls. My current Airstream has aluminum. When shopping I immediately ruled out anything with EPDM or TPO.

Please explain the basis for your comment. I have over 43 years as a RV tech. I have seen ALL roof materials. While I also would prefer Fiberglass, I would NOT like Metal roofs. Metal roofs will be damaged by normal size Hail that would dent a car. Fiberglass, rarely. It takes a LOT to punch holes thru fiberglass. It takes a LOT for Hail to damage a TPO/EPDM roof. For cost, I would like a EPDM/TPO roof. Your Airstream, the COST basis alone makes a Metal roof standard. Doug

The basis for my comment? Personal preference. While I know that a good hail storm will dent my aluminum roof, I would be REALLY surprised if it punctured it. Dents, I can live with. You state that "{i}t takes a LOT to punch holes thru fiberglass." I posit that it takes more to punch a hole through aluminum.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Bobbo wrote:
EPDM
TPO
Fiberglass
Aluminum

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I could afford an AS with an aluminum roof and body!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bobbo wrote:
EPDM
TPO
Fiberglass
Aluminum

I would avoid the first two.

While I would prefer fiberglass or aluminum, for the cost to upgrade to a rig that has them, you could replace the rubber roof options several times over.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
EPDM
TPO
Fiberglass
Aluminum

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB