cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing with a HD Pick up in Ontario

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post in but I will ask a question to see if other RVers in Ontario will respond.

All pick up trucks in Ontario (both LD and heavy duty) are classed as commercial, the LD one can be deemed "for personal use" but HD ones can't. Our 5th wheel is heavy, so a HD dually is what we pull it with.

I just received a letter saying I owe $119 for an extension period granted because of COVID, now the grant is over, they now want payment. The payment has to be made to the Ministry of Finance (not sure how), not Service Ontario where we get our license stickers renewed.

I'm wondering if other Ontario RVers with HD pick ups have just received the letter. I have emailed the "bureaucracy" to find out more!
25 REPLIES 25

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lee_RV wrote:
I was looking for places that allowed you to drive a diesel pusher on a regular license and NB was one of them. I could be wrong (the gov't wording of these things is always terrible) but I am pretty sure it was ok.

You can drive a DP M/H with a regular licence, however, in certain jurisdictions (Ontario is one of them) an air brake endorsement is still required.

In fact, some friends got an ugly surprise when they stopped in a safety blitz and were not allowed to continue on down the road, despite having no mechanical issues, because of not having the air brake endorsement on their licence. Thankfully they were travelling with others, one of which had the air brake cert., and was able to trade drivers.

Lee_RV
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking for places that allowed you to drive a diesel pusher on a regular license and NB was one of them. I could be wrong (the gov't wording of these things is always terrible) but I am pretty sure it was ok.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
moisheh wrote:
Wow, Ontario sounds like an uber strict place live.

I think if you look at the regโ€™s you will see that Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories and Ontario are all pretty much the same.

In a weird quirk to the regโ€™s though, my converted Class 8 truck (registered as a motorhome) is not a commercial vehicle any longer and is therefore exempt from all of this save for the air brake items.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, Ontario sounds like an uber strict place live.

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1 ton dually HD and a 5er. I also had a class Dz license, an AR license and then dropped down to a class G license when they wanted me to go for medicals etc. The class G covers what I haul with my HD. As for the plate sticker, I used to up the weight rating from May to October but I haven't done that in a few years now. I have never been given a break on my sticker cost by the gov't. I just renewed my sticker on line for $265. and it didn't take very long to get here. I tried online last year and I was told I couldn't do it. This year was different.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:
I did not read all the replies but I got an bill for $ 111. Just go on the website and plug in the number that was on the letter that they gave you and your PIN number that they sent you and then red register it as being used. They'll send you an invoice in the mail within a week and show you where to pay.

I got the letter but didn't get a PIN number, I complained to our MPP, who was the house speaker at that time, and nothing else happened. Maybe my comment to the MPP about my truck being for personal use helped!

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I did not read all the replies but I got an bill for $ 111. Just go on the website and plug in the number that was on the letter that they gave you and your PIN number that they sent you and then red register it as being used. They'll send you an invoice in the mail within a week and show you where to pay.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
@Jaxdad, yup sounds simple as pie. As evidenced by your fellow residentsโ€™ issues and reports hereโ€ฆ

I donโ€™t see the โ€˜catch upโ€™ payments and letters / payments associated with the payment hiatus the last 2 years as any relationship to the licensing itself.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@Jaxdad, yup sounds simple as pie. As evidenced by your fellow residentsโ€™ issues and reports hereโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
almcc wrote:
Jaxdad, you are behind the times! Have a look at this posting back from the McGinty era that extended the weights for RV's with a G license. If you know it has been cancelled let me know!

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/18637/making-it-easier-for-rv-drivers-to-enjoy-summer

No, I didnโ€™t mention it so as not to muddy the subject. It only affects a 5โ€™er.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
I got caught as well owing about a little over $300. Seems someone renewed my plates at the passenger rate instead of the HD pickup rate. Drag. I spent a bit of time with a nice girl from the MTO who took me through it on the phone after being on hold for two hours. Even if I had noticed while renewing the plates that is what they where doing at the time. Still waiting for the invoice to pay.

It's a PITA that I'm actually going to have to send a cheque in to pay for this instead of online or at an actual office, not even sure I have any? Considering who's at the helm of the Provincial .gov here in ON I shouldn't be surprised.

You can pay it online after youโ€™ve gotten all 3 letters and set up the account.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Jaxdad, you are behind the times! Have a look at this posting back from the McGinty era that extended the weights for RV's with a G license. If you know it has been cancelled let me know!

https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/18637/making-it-easier-for-rv-drivers-to-enjoy-summer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
almcc wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
While this question is not at all RVing related, I just learned that it is possible for govt motor vehicles registration to be far more difficult and screwed up than I could have imagined...

Actually having seen the way it works in numerous jurisdictions I must say that IMHO the system in Ontario is very simple and straightforward.

There is no ad valorem tax (at any level never mind multiples) or annual inspections required. There is a single flat rate fee for license plates (tags) that is based on the RGW of the vehicle for trucks, cars, m/hโ€™s and trailers are free.

JaxDad, I don't agree with your comment about Ontario being simple. I had a friend (a retired cop) comment that my truck/RV combo requires me to have an "A" license, why? Simply because the regulations are so complicated and written by lawyers that even a cop can't understand them! If a cop can't understand them, how are we citizens supposed to understand and follow them?

With all due respect neighbour, the regโ€™s are very simple, if you tow something over 4,600 KG (a little over 10k pounds) you need an โ€œAโ€ or โ€œARโ€ license. In fact, itโ€™s always been that way, but they made it easier and simpler with the creation of the โ€œARโ€ license a few years back.

As for your comment about the writing of the laws and regโ€™s, all of them, in every jurisdiction, are written by lawyers. Do you think theyโ€™d be better if they were written by school janitors?

A cop that canโ€™t read simple laws & regโ€™s? Letโ€™s just leave it at thank goodness heโ€™s retired now.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I got caught as well owing about a little over $300. Seems someone renewed my plates at the passenger rate instead of the HD pickup rate. Drag. I spent a bit of time with a nice girl from the MTO who took me through it on the phone after being on hold for two hours. Even if I had noticed while renewing the plates that is what they where doing at the time. Still waiting for the invoice to pay.

It's a PITA that I'm actually going to have to send a cheque in to pay for this instead of online or at an actual office, not even sure I have any? Considering who's at the helm of the Provincial .gov here in ON I shouldn't be surprised.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman