cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pressure Regulator

Explorer II
Explorer II
My regulator failed and I need a replacement. The Watts are up to ~$150 now.

Has anyone had any luck with these cheap RV Guard regulators or something similar in this price range? There are several that look identical. All the reviews on the different brands seem to be hit or miss.

Are these serviceable like a Watts?

Thanks
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857
50 REPLIES 50

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If we are being honest, most of us have been caught by water pressure extremes, high and LOW. Another interesting point an earlier poster mentioned, is extremely cold water entering your water heater. I've run into this, at higher altitudes, where park water is pumped from a deep well. Using RV tank warmer water, allows longer showers, more back to back showers.

I do sanitize my tank at season startup, and my FW came with a quality whole house filter system, that is installed on my basement wall. All water, city hookup, and fresh tank goes through filter system before going to any faucet, even the toilet. Never have clogged screens, or any water valve issues. ๐Ÿ™‚

I still carry two different regulators, but haven't used one for a long while.

Jerry

Explorer II
Explorer II
but but, whatcha gonna do when park pressure is way low???
This is a good point. We have actually been in this situation and just sucked it up.

I have never sanitized my fresh tank so I wouldn't trust it even if I sanitized it now after 9 years of not doing it. No telling what's in there.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My WATTS pressure regulator has a nice big glycerin filled gauge.

dedmiston wrote: "Just to be a contrarian." ME TOO!!

while watts is a great regulator...can it turn the park water pressure up, when it is low??

Now what...want to take shower?? Turn on pump, oh ya, nice consistent water pressure!!;)

Jerry

I just don't stay at "Low Pressure" locations. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

older_fossil
Explorer
Explorer
Over many years of RVing, we've seen water pressures range from a pathetic 20 psi to over 120 psi. Some campgrounds warn of high pressure and refuse any liability if you don't use a regulator. Generally most parks have lower pressure than we like and doesn't get to the 60 psi setting on our Watts regulator. The pressure in older parks can vary 10-15 psi and typically drops in the morning when people are showering. If the pressure is lower than about 40 psi, we'll put water in our fresh water tank and run off our water pump.

Art
Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Grew up in the pipefitting industry...other than ride-along, didn't do much RVng as a kid. Fast forward to my 1st RV (circa 2002 or so). The salesman (I know...) says hey, you need to watch out for water pressure in campgrounds. OK, makes sense to me. Salesman then says "We can sell you this pressure regulator" and showed me what was probably a perfectly good regulator....but I said, no, that's not a water pressure regulator. Water pressure regulators are red (possibly black) and say "Watts" on them and come with (as noted above) the oil or glycerin filled gauge and if you really get the right one, it will have threaded outlets for two gauges and an adjustment bolt.

Got a Watts but based on forgetting it a time or two or just being lazy, the ones from the RV places worked fine.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

dedmiston
MFL wrote:

while watts is a great regulator...can it turn the park water pressure up, when it is low??

Now what...want to take shower?? Turn on pump, oh ya, nice consistent water pressure!!;)

Jerry

LOL. Yep Jerry, when the pressure is too low, you have to sneak out and shut off everyone else's water and shower while they're sleeping. Just don't forget to turn them back on.

(kidding)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

dedmiston
2112 wrote:
What did Frank say? I did it My Way.

I'm pretty sure he was singing about boozing & chasing around with showgirls and not whether to fill the holding tank or not. But I get your point. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Another one of these paranoia threads...
You could look at it that way.

I see it as different strokes for different folks. We all have our own point of view and experiences we call upon. Each of us have our own "preferred method" which provides a level of comfort or satisfaction to us. That's what makes life interesting for each of us. We each get to drive our own bus in the direction we want to go.

What did Frank say? I did it My Way.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another one of these paranoia threads...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Explorer II
Explorer II
LMAO
A lot of good discussion here, and amusing as always.

Twinkle Star is the winner for me.

It seems most, if not all of the cheap ones suffer gauge failure and housing failure from poor casting or freezing. It's a cr@p shoot on all of them so why throw more money at it than needed. The gauge can be replaced with a better quality one for ~$15 if needed. If the regulator starts to act up I'll just throw another $25 at it.

We are pedestal hoppers, usually FHU, so we are always connected to a water supply. A regulator is cheap insurance and is required at one of our hangouts. We use the pump to flush while on the road and that's about it.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
LOTS of things to "Worry" about. Having your water shut off at night is not one of them. May as well turn off the propane tanks as well. But that would mean you could get cold. OK then I will use a small electric heater. OH NO that could get knocked over by the dog and the shutoff may not work and catch the RV on fire.

Should I mention not going outside because the sky could........., naw I may take that risk.

I wear my hard hat for those occasions ! !

Good Man!!!

Cummins12V98 wrote:
LOTS of things to "Worry" about. Having your water shut off at night is not one of them. May as well turn off the propane tanks as well. But that would mean you could get cold. OK then I will use a small electric heater. OH NO that could get knocked over by the dog and the shutoff may not work and catch the RV on fire.

Should I mention not going outside because the sky could........., naw I may take that risk.

I wear my hard hat for those occasions ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet