Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Water Pressure Regulator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water Pressure Regulator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/22 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I haven’t used one in near 20 years of RVing. snip... Never found a need for it. It now just sits in the bin in the water bay.

Hmmm. Never found a need for it YET! You never need one until you need it. [emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/22 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I haven’t used one in near 20 years of RVing. Everywhere from the Rocky Mountains to the east coast and Canada to the Gulf! Always left my water on. I have one I bought along time ago because I was told I needed it. Never found a need for it. It now just sits in the bin in the water bay.

Hmm....Interesting approach.

All it will take is one time, for you to hook up to water at a campground with very high water pressure (like the one I was at last summer in Kentucky, where water pressure was right at 70 the whole time). By the time you realize your 'need' for it, it may be too late, as you may learn that need in the form of repairing a busted pipe and cleaning up a big mess.

Seriously, dodge guy, you've been dodging a bullet there for an awful long time. I wouldn't tempt fate any more...

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/22 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

I'd much rather use the silent water service from the camp.
Silent is nice, but that same silence will be responsible for major damage inside the RV if a line or fitting breaks, especially in the middle of the night. There will be nothing to alert you of the leak other than water pouring out of your RV.[emoticon]

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/22 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI if you check your water pressure and it's lets say 60 that does NOT mean it won't be 100 psi later. I know this for a FACT.

Smart to use one IMHO. I have a RV lot that the pressure is around 80psi and have my WATTS set to 60 and have owned it for at least 10 years of full time usage with zero issues. Plenty of flow unlike the CHEAP units.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/22 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

I'd much rather use the silent water service from the camp.
Silent is nice, but that same silence will be responsible for major damage inside the RV if a line or fitting breaks, especially in the middle of the night. There will be nothing to alert you of the leak other than water pouring out of your RV.[emoticon]

Sorry, but I'm going to have to file that under paranoia.

Can it happen? Sure, but the odds of it happening, especially with regulated pressure? Pretty slim.

There's a long list of things that can go wrong in our lives. I worry about some of them, I prepare for others, and I choose not to fixate on the rest of the list.

I sleep great at night. Literally and figuratively. Not worrying about phantoms and bogies is one way to sleep better. And not running a noisy water pump when we get up to pee is another way.

I think a lot of stuff that vexes us nowadays comes from not being chased by bears anymore. If we were still being chased by bears, we wouldn't fret about half the stuff that we do. I think we're wired to worry about a certain amount of things in the world. And now that our species seems to have mostly solved the problem of being chased by bears, we've had to adopt other things to fixate on. Or we could retrain ourselves to shrug our shoulders and say "meh" about some of these things.

I say "meh" to worrying that my plumbing is going to explode while I sleep. Meh.

(Now watch me get eaten by a bear.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/22 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

...we never use the pump when we have full hookups. I'd much rather use the silent water service from the camp. We've probably logged a few hundred nights with FHU and I've gone through a bunch of cheap pressure regulators, but we've never had a pressure related failure. I wouldn't hesitate to keep using a regulator and take advantage of the silent water hookup and give the pump a vacation of its own..

Good points as well. Only thing is, the water service from the campground in some cases isn't necessarily 'silent', either. On some RVs I've owned in the past, the city water inlet valve can make a buzzing noise whenever it lets water in.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the other good reason for using campground water service instead of the pump - Water pressuring fluctuating up/down when pump cycles on and off.

With just about every RV I've owned, if you run water continuously (like when taking a shower) with the pump, you will notice the water pressure frequently fluctuate a little every few seconds - goes up slightly when pump cycles on, pump cycles off, it goes down a little, then back up when pump cycles back on, etc. It is typically more consistent, not back and forth like that when hooked up to the campground water supply.

I know some people upgrade their water pumps to models that don't do this as much, or add an accumulator tank that helps with this also.

Anyway....I think this (using water pump vs campground water pressure) is one of those '6 one, half dozen the other' kind of discussions, and everyone will do it their own way, and neither one is necessarily right or wrong. [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOTS of things to "Worry" about. Having your water shut off at night is not one of them. May as well turn off the propane tanks as well. But that would mean you could get cold. OK then I will use a small electric heater. OH NO that could get knocked over by the dog and the shutoff may not work and catch the RV on fire.

Should I mention not going outside because the sky could........., naw I may take that risk.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/22 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

LOTS of things to "Worry" about. Having your water shut off at night is not one of them. May as well turn off the propane tanks as well. But that would mean you could get cold. OK then I will use a small electric heater. OH NO that could get knocked over by the dog and the shutoff may not work and catch the RV on fire.

Should I mention not going outside because the sky could........., naw I may take that risk.

I wear my hard hat for those occasions ! !

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I wear my hard hat for those occasions ! !

Good Man!!!

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LMAO
A lot of good discussion here, and amusing as always.

Twinkle Star is the winner for me.

It seems most, if not all of the cheap ones suffer gauge failure and housing failure from poor casting or freezing. It's a [email protected] shoot on all of them so why throw more money at it than needed. The gauge can be replaced with a better quality one for ~$15 if needed. If the regulator starts to act up I'll just throw another $25 at it.

We are pedestal hoppers, usually FHU, so we are always connected to a water supply. A regulator is cheap insurance and is required at one of our hangouts. We use the pump to flush while on the road and that's about it.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Water Pressure Regulator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.