cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Trailer Backup Assist

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone know if there's a way to use the Ford Trailer Backup Assist with a big camper?
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer
12 REPLIES 12

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can always attach temporary extensions to the trailer, so you can see it when you need to back up significantly.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
When the camper is on, the hitch extension will bring the receiver to the back end of the camper, making the hitch ball about the same distance behind the camera as the tailgate camera is to the stock hitch. The big difference will be the extra distance from the rear axel to the ball.

As for how well it works, I'm more concerned with keeping it straight while backing up a long distance. One of the trailers I town has no place to turn around, so I have to back it up over 100 yards. The trailer is pretty narrow, so I can't see it behind the camper. On top of that, its short so it gets out of line really quickly.

Bionic Man wrote:
As others stated, the way that the back up assist โ€œworksโ€ is based on the distance from the rear view camera to a sticker on the trailer. And there is both minimum and maximum distances required, so you would have to find a way to make that work if you somehow re-positioned the camera.

Have you ever tried using the assist in the first place? I set it up on my Expedition MAX on both my wake boat and my fishing boat. And my personal experience is that neither of them work very well.

First, it is very finicky to pick up the sticker at all. I find mine has to be in complete sun for it to work. Not at night, and not if it is in the shade.

Second, it isnโ€™t unusual for it to lose the sticker once you start backing up.

Third, it wonโ€™t make a very sharp turn. For example, turning 90* from my street into my driveway isnโ€™t possible with the assist.

Maybe Ford has made significant improvements since my 2019. And maybe Iโ€™m just not patient enough to fiddle with it as I am competent in my backing skills. But I personally wouldnโ€™t want to rely on that as a system to back up my own trailers.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
You want to pull a trailer behind a truck camper with a long overhang, using some sort of hitch extender, right?
You can always try and see what happens.
In order to calculate the necessary steering maneuvres, the algorithm probably needs to have an idea of the positions of the camera and the hitch point (and the trailer, via the sticker already mentioned) in relation to the vehicle axles and steering. Since these positions are constant on any given vehicle (with the exception of the trailer sticker), they may well be somehow included in the algorithm - either hardcoded, or as parameters. Or the assistant may just work with very broad assumptions, camera data and a self-learning approach.
If you change the camera and hitch positions without "telling" the assistant algorithm, it may produce results that do not match the actual physical reality. Or the way it is set up may prove to be fairly flexible and the results may still be useful.
There is no harm in trying under carefully supervised conditions ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
As others stated, the way that the back up assist โ€œworksโ€ is based on the distance from the rear view camera to a sticker on the trailer. And there is both minimum and maximum distances required, so you would have to find a way to make that work if you somehow re-positioned the camera.

Have you ever tried using the assist in the first place? I set it up on my Expedition MAX on both my wake boat and my fishing boat. And my personal experience is that neither of them work very well.

First, it is very finicky to pick up the sticker at all. I find mine has to be in complete sun for it to work. Not at night, and not if it is in the shade.

Second, it isnโ€™t unusual for it to lose the sticker once you start backing up.

Third, it wonโ€™t make a very sharp turn. For example, turning 90* from my street into my driveway isnโ€™t possible with the assist.

Maybe Ford has made significant improvements since my 2019. And maybe Iโ€™m just not patient enough to fiddle with it as I am competent in my backing skills. But I personally wouldnโ€™t want to rely on that as a system to back up my own trailers.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
I figured that it would be a bit off, but I'm hoping I can connect both the trailer and camper cameras.

trail-explorer wrote:
I'm guessing that the steering input required to make a give turn is based on geometrical calculations of the distance between the tail gate camera location and location of the checkered sticker. Once you "relocate" the camera, all those dimensions change, so it's hard to say how well it would work.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I think Trail-explorerโ€™s on tract.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing that the steering input required to make a give turn is based on geometrical calculations of the distance between the tail gate camera location and location of the checkered sticker. Once you "relocate" the camera, all those dimensions change, so it's hard to say how well it would work.
Bob

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
Towing a trailer behind the camper.

I was thinking it might work if I attach the aux camera in place of the tailgate camera.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Are you towing a trailer along with the camper, or just for the camper.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Say wut??

X2
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
My truck has it but I havenโ€™t used it. But your tailgate rear view camera must be intact as it monitors a special checkered tag you place on the trailer tongue and then you do measurements, programming, and calibration.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Say wut??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold