cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Stay in Mammoth, CA?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip with wife, one adult son, one teenage son, and our small furry companion.

Towing an Outback 250RS.

A friend did not have a good experience last summer in a Bishop RV park, so we are reluctant about Bishop, so we are considering Mammoth which is not too far from Bishop.

Would like to go in June.

This trip is about 5-6 hours (300 miles) from our home in SoCal.

Needs:
Full hook ups, cell/wi-fi service, fishing nearby, sight seeing, etc.
Would like to visit Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest near Bishop.

What can we expect in Mammoth/Bishop?
What RV Parks can you recommend?
Considerations?

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
13 REPLIES 13

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would love to try out more primitive settings/campgrounds, however, my holding tanks are 30/30/30 and with 4 people....

That's why we need full hook ups, especially electricity in summer, when ambient temps can be over 100F

profdant139....beautiful pic!
Equal-i-zer 10K

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a wild idea -- Keough Hot Springs. It's just south of Bishop. We stayed there in early 2020, just before Covid. They have a great pool and a hot spring. Not sure if they have full hookups or just water and electric (no sewer). I think they have a dump station.

Keough is quiet and well located. The pool facilities are kind of funky, in a good way -- sort of 1920-era buildings.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boulder Creek is fine -- but it is a longer "commute" to Bristlecone from Lone Pine than from Bishop. Boulder Creek is just about exactly an hour from Bishop.

As you pass through the little towns along 395, watch out for the speed limits -- in some places as low as 25.

But the good news is that the slower speeds will give you more time to look at the view -- this was taken in the Bishop Creek area, about ten miles from Bishop:

Click For Full-Size Image.
About our trailer

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
What about Boulder Creek RV Resort? I know it's about 1.5 hours to Bishop and to Bristlecone, but it appears to be pretty nice.

Is it close enough to explore Bishop, Owens River, Bristlecone, etc?
Equal-i-zer 10K

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silver Lake is OK but sites are very tight. Bishop and Mammoth are not that close -- about 40 minutes each way. We like Highlander in Bishop -- nothing fancy, but well managed.

If you are heading up 395, Mono Vista RV in Lee Vining is good, too.

If you want to go to Bristlecone (highly recommended), stay in Bishop and take your truck.
About our trailer

dedmiston
I think the camp at Convict Lake has some FHU spaces. I've stayed in the lodge there a few times and it's a gorgeous setting about halfway between Bishop and Mammoth. I've never looked into camping there, but I always see people in the CG and it looks pretty decent. The fishing is good and the restaurant and bar at the lodge are incredible.

I've stayed at the RV park in Mammoth and it was OK but not great. I think our space was water & power only, so we had to roll the tote down to the dump to empty out. It's never fun to use the tote, but it's not the worst solution either.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I'll check out Mammoth Mtn. RV as well as Silver Lake Resort.
Equal-i-zer 10K

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Silver lake resort checks all the boxes. We typically camp across the road which lacks hook ups but is close to the lake. It's pretty rare not to have at least one of your days with lots of wind. Beautiful sun rises on the mountain slopes!
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Me to, Acamp. I boondock when near Mammoth.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
Very little choice in Mammoth for full hook up site....off hand, in the town is Mammoth Mtn. RV Park....I've never stayed there. There are a few places over on the June Lake loop, the only one I've stayed at was Golden Pine, tight spots but pretty central.

I'm happy to get in anyplace up that way...which normally means Forest Service camps....have fun!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam offers this list…

https://www.goodsam.com/campgrounds-rv-parks/california/bishop/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Tri-County Fairgrounds isn't pretty but it is very close to downtown.

https://tricountyfair.com/