cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide room lock ??? on Winne MH

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Itasca SunCruiser 35l. The front living room/dining room slide has a slide lock at the top that is electrically operated. This last time out, it stuck in the unlocked position (could still use slide out). I am trying to figure out exactly how this works and cannot find out any info on it. It seemed to be jammed in some way. It has 8 perimeter screws into the ceiling of the slide room. There are 4 studs aiming downward that seem to hold the motor and what I assume are a couple of enclosed micro switches. I loosened the nuts from these 4 studs and jostled the mechanism around a bit. It must have unjammed something, because it now works.

Anyone who can describe to me exactly how this all works? I would also like to know exactly what I need to do If I ever need to work on it. Are there any places that should be lubed? If so how do I get to them?

Desperately looking for any help from those who have experience with this sort of slide room lock.

How important is it to have this locked while travelling? I have HWH hydraulic slide and jack system. -- Thanks-- Mick
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
6 REPLIES 6

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The 625 system has nothing to do with your type of HWH slide lock system. 625 is the Jack control system. But, I have never had to work on a Winne slide lock. The only system have worked on with HWH slide locks was the mid 2000 model Mandalay Diesel motorhomes from Thor. Those HWH slide locks were NOT in the ceiling, but in the Overhead cabinet of the slide box. Same basic system. But, should be able to get to the Microswitches by removing the bezel as you explained. I never had a problem or failure of the Microswitches in any of the Mandalay's I worked on. I DID have intermittant failure of the same type microswitches on the Newmar Autolock system(not HWH brand). In spite of what some people think, the REASON slide locks are installed is NOT TO STOP THE ROOM FROM GOING OUT IN TRANSIT, BUT TO GET A POSITIVE SEAL ON THE TOP OF THE ROOM WHEN RETRACTED. Also, to keep the room from moving back and forth(jiggling) when driving. With a Hydraulic system like HWH's if you activated the pump with slide locks in place, it WOULD attempt to extend and the damage would be incredible. Doug

Thanks Doug- The lock is in the upper cabinet of the slide room. It is all working properly now that I got it unjammed. I was just wondering that if I removed the entire unit, I could possibly lube the upper parts that are not exposed right now. Now that all is working correctly again, I should probably leave good enough alone and re-install the outer hard plastic cover. Thanks for all your good advice. -- Mick
2000 Jeep Wrangler

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The 625 system has nothing to do with your type of HWH slide lock system. 625 is the Jack control system. But, I have never had to work on a Winne slide lock. The only system have worked on with HWH slide locks was the mid 2000 model Mandalay Diesel motorhomes from Thor. Those HWH slide locks were NOT in the ceiling, but in the Overhead cabinet of the slide box. Same basic system. But, should be able to get to the Microswitches by removing the bezel as you explained. I never had a problem or failure of the Microswitches in any of the Mandalay's I worked on. I DID have intermittant failure of the same type microswitches on the Newmar Autolock system(not HWH brand). In spite of what some people think, the REASON slide locks are installed is NOT TO STOP THE ROOM FROM GOING OUT IN TRANSIT, BUT TO GET A POSITIVE SEAL ON THE TOP OF THE ROOM WHEN RETRACTED. Also, to keep the room from moving back and forth(jiggling) when driving. With a Hydraulic system like HWH's if you activated the pump with slide locks in place, it WOULD attempt to extend and the damage would be incredible. Doug

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
We had a '11 Journey with slide locks. They broke a couple of times. There is a tiny "micro switch" in side that is very fragile. I took them out and never used the locks in 75,000 miles of traveling without a problem.

Thanks for your response. -- Mick
2000 Jeep Wrangler

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
http://server51.hwhcorp.com/?page_id=61777

Is this the HWH lock system you have? Doug

Or this one?

http://server51.hwhcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/ml41035.pdf

Or this one?

http://server51.hwhcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/ml39511.pdf

Thank you-- I have the HWH 625 system. I was able to get it unjammed. I also figured out that the 2 micro switches are normally open and the lock must be in the fully un-locked position for the system to move the slide room.

Do you know if I remove the 8 screws going upward around the perimeter of the mechanism into the ceiling of the slide room, it then can be completely removed without doing anything on the outside? It seems very stuck and I did not want to really try and pry it off without knowing for sure. I thought that if I could remove it, I might be able to lube something other than just the drive screw that becomes exposed when moving it to the locked position. Thanks again-- Mick
2000 Jeep Wrangler

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We had a '11 Journey with slide locks. They broke a couple of times. There is a tiny "micro switch" in side that is very fragile. I took them out and never used the locks in 75,000 miles of traveling without a problem.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew