cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nearly impossible to get Class C Chassis serviced?

Iautox
Explorer
Explorer
New to forum, but not RVing. Have owned popup, hybrids, travel trailers, and pickup campers. Have been without an RV for 8 years, but been delivering new Class C rental units from the factory to various rental locations for 8 years to get our RV fix. Decided to buy a class C so we could do short trips, pull a trailer with a motorcycle in it, and go when delivery season was over. So I found a 2001 Four Winds 28 foot Class C on a 2000 Chev Express G 3500 chassis. A legit 41K miles and in good shape with new tires. Super dusty inside and faded on the outside, but everything worked except for the furnace blower motor. Rides nicer and is quieter than the new Fords we have been delivering.

I'm mechanical to some extent and do all the simple maintainence on my vehicles, oil changes, other fluids, sparkplugs, brakes, etc.

However after the first time out a fuel line has started to leak and it appears to be coming from where the lines disappear under the tank cover and head to the in tank fuel pump. The tank butts up against a frame cross member so I think it needs to be dropped to see what is going on. Only leaks when pressurized. At any rate something I'd not like to do on a crush asphalt driveway or really at all.

Called dozens of auto shops and no one will do a Class C because they can't fit it in or lift it. Many shops referred me to a large GMC light, medium and heavy duty dealership that does service RVs. Unforturnately they won't work on RVs older than 15 years. All local RV dealers I called will only work on the house side. Finally found two shops about 45 minutes away in opposite directions that will work on Class Cs. Unfortunately the first appointments are June 16th, and July 11th. Doesn't do me much good for a trip next week. I'm in the Denver, Colorado metro area.

My questions is: Is my experience common? What happens if I break down several states away and I can't do the repairs?

I bought it at a good price and once this gas line issue if fixed it will be good to go. If serving is this hard to find then I just want to admit to myself I made a mistake and sell it this summer before something else breaks.

I'd consider a TT again except I wanted to pull a trailer for my motorcycle and can't do that with a TT unless I get a toyhauler, but then I need something bigger to haul that and with the lack of new trucks/SUVs and run up in used prices it is crazy to buy something now. So back to flying places or taking the motorcycle all the way. Still can get in a rental delivery or two though.
17 REPLIES 17

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The larger and/or older your MH the harder it is to find a place away from home.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem is worst when you break down away from home, especially in summer when many people are traveling and can't find a shop to work on it. Think about waiting 1.5 months to get an appointment while on vacation. The larger your MH the harder it is to find a place away from home.

Iautox
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, Just to tie this up. I bought a motorcycle jack today to make lowering the gas tank much easier. Also got a bore scope that plugs into an android phone. Using it I quickly determined that I was going to get anything done without dropping the tank. Dropped it out in the street in front of my condo. Totally uneasy about it, but no one said anything. Quickly found the problem was a plastic tee and that the barb for the smallest line coming out was nearly broken off and leaking. Tee has two 3/8 lines going into it and one 1/4. Only thing I could find that would work locally was another plastic tee meant for vaccum hoses - probably what was on there. Looked at 3 auto parts stores and 4 hardware stores. Ordered a brass tee off Amazon with the correct two 3/8 and one 1/4 barbed nipples. It won't arrive until Tuedays so going to check plumbing supply stores tomorrow to see if I can find one locally. Not such a big deal to drop the tank. Going to make our trip to the Indy 500 and see how it goes. Still undecided on keeping it with little ability to get things fixed. At least its not a #Van Life Sprinter. The Mercedes dealer close to me has a back lot of commercial and RV Sprinters waiting for service. I hear the parts are hard to come by and the DEF systems for the diesel engines have tons of problems. Had briefly thought about getting something like a Winnebago View, but then learned of the Sprinter platform problems and super long service times. Thought a good old 'Amurican' class C would be and answer to parts and service. Still better than the Sprinter at least. Thanks for everyone who chimed in. I now have found a total of 4 shops that will work on Class C's with two other possible that haven't responded back, sigh. Soonest appt between all the shops was 1.5 months out. I've changed out all the fluids and had the front end steering and suspension brought up to speed so perhaps I can get some miles out of it now. Thanks again all.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Although it's not a solution for the need a repair now scenario, but often you'll find a service location through advance scouting. That's what I needed to do with a move.

I have no problems with the GM medium duty truck center servicing my old RV. But, due to parts and labor issues, coupled with more people keeping their older vehicles that need service, appointments can be a bit in the future.

So, I went on a hunt to find a place. I first started asking other RV owners for suggestion. I spoke to the drivers of church, day cares and retirement villages small buses. I drove in areas where repair shops congregate and looked for similar vehicles being serviced. I visited some with a picture of the RV so they knew the size I'm talking about.

Fortunately, it's been the size that has come to my benefit as it's in line with many of the mini buses or small box trucks they service. I think it also helped that the "technology" end of the vehicle was on the pre computerize everything side. I also found some have no issues with "jack stand" maintenance on the chassis but won't do lift work.

Yes, it's a challenge, but it gives you a reason to get away from the house for a day.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I've had good luck using independent truck shops for our Class A's and C's over the years.
I used this solution to repair my previous class A and then a DP. Never had an issue.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
(Mod. Note. - Response to OP's political rant deleted)

Regarding your Rv mechanic. The above has put a strain on labor availability just about everywhere. But even more so in blue states.
But Iโ€™d expect difficulty anyway.
As one mentioned, old stuff breaks and shops charge a lot of money. And more often than with newer vehicles, the repairs tend to escalate and the cost of the repair is a much higher % of the vehicle value and the typical owners of said vehicles have less money than owners of new vehicles. Leaving shops arguing more with these owners and risking lack of compensation and less efficiency in their work.
Bottom line, if you arenโ€™t rich, you gotta be smart or everything will be a struggle. And maybe the luxury of a RV is not in the cards financially.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you considered a mobil mechanic?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only thing I could give you in CO is the name of my Son-in-law but not sure he'd work on it either (It is not his primary job)
Here in Michigan there is an RV dealer / service that can do it. but alas that's a thousand or so miles away. And I know a shop in Georgia. but I'd find a mobile RV service tech. he or she won't likely work on "Chassis" systems other than jacks. but they will likely know who will..
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Iautox
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the quick replies. Son of Norway, I have sent an email (the recommendation on their website for quicker response and also it was after hours by the time I saw your recommendation) to Best Auto and Motorhome. Also called a friend of a friend who rents out used Class C motorhomes for some advice. He says it is easy to drop the gas tank which he has done several times without lifting the unit. If Best Auto and Motorhome has a long lead time I guess I have no alternative, but to give it a try. Unfortunately it was 89 degrees in Denver today and I was sweating riding my motorcycle. Tomorrow and Saturday winter returns with temps in the 30's and snow, sigh. Hope fully there is enough space in the new barn at my spouse's brother's place to at least do this semi indoors on level concrete rather than a crush asphalt driveway in the open where I did all the fluid changes. Still pondering if I really want to go cross country routinely with few repair facilities booked out long into the future. Especially since wildtoad says he can't even get a current year Ford Class C serviced at a dealer. That is really disapointing. Having a local truck center or independant shop you can go to is great, but it still leave the problem of something going wrong far from home with no where to turn. Doesn't provide much piece of mind. Fortunately the spouse if a flight attendant for a regional airline with multiple major airline that we can fly standby for free. May have to resume paying through the nose for hotel rooms and renting cars. That is problematic too since rental cars are in short supply and unavailable some of the places and times we want to go. When available they are very expensive even with a very good air crew discount. So much so that we took an hour and a half Uber ride for $205 rather than a one way car rental. Never thought there would be any circumstance where a $205 for an Uber would be acceptable let alone welcome under the time constraints and alternative costs we were looking at. Crazy **** post covid world!

(Mod Note: Off-topic political rant deleted.)

Hope I get my gas line fixed, lol. At least that is how I think this all started. Think the motorhome is old enough not to have a catalytic converter so I'm good there. However there could be someone living in it when I wake up tomorrow. Hope I can evict them......

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been seeing this more and more. My longtime shop made the decision not to work on motorhomes anymore about 2 years ago. They only had one lift that could handle them. They said it was insurance reasons.

You can try a mobile mechanic for a lot of stuff. But for a fuel leak, I would try the above suggestions.

And yes, many places who WILL work on a motorhome, won't work on an older one. My '75 is heck trying to find someone willing to work on it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had a MH with a Ford chassis, I took it to the Ford dealer in town who worked on ambulances.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good luck using independent truck shops for our Class A's and C's over the years.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try getting a Ford dealer to work on a Class A or C. Many if not most will not accept them, many will do simple tasks that donโ€™t require a lift. Mine was a current year model. I called Ford and every dealer they suggested would not work on it. I take mine to a truck service center.

Had a VW based Winnebago Rialta and could not get local VW dealerships to service it. Had to find a independent service company. I once asked my local Camping World what they told their customers to do about service. They recommended a small independent shop 20 miles away. Went there and quickly turned around.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
Most gas motorhomes and class c have the same gas tank and hose arrangement, hoses usually feed the generator. Had my tank dropped and the fuel pump replaced about two years ago on my F53 Ford chassis motorhome. It was done by a local diesel truck shop. They did not put it on a lift. They used roll around floor jacks to get up to drop the tank.
First place I called.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It