cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discoverer AT3 XLT

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any using Discoverer AT3 XLT Tires? I was looking at Michelin LTX but they have a lot of bad reviews at the 20K to 30K point. Mainly vanishing sipes and the tread peeling off. The Coopers get good reviews from what I can see.
We just bought a used RAM 2500 and is has Sailuns of all things, mostly worn out too.
We are 90% on the road and 10% off road pulling an 8K TT. The XLT are supposed designed for HD trucks

Secondly, I want to replace the truck batteries. Just as a preventive, I have no idea how old they are but they don't look new. Any batteries better than others? Or just what the auto parts place has?

We finally are going to get on the road again, God willing. After a lot series of problems since November. A quick run around the Southeast, maybe to Natchez Trace. Back here for appointments in early June then off to the Escapade in TN. Them maybe to the Yupper and the north country in July.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
34 REPLIES 34

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
librty02 wrote:
The Cooper AT3 XLTs are great tires I have over 40k towing on my set now and still have 7/32 left...I will purchase again for sure I just hope now that Goodyear owns Cooper they don't change that tire at least not for a while anyway.

Have/well had Michelin Defendefers on my Jeep Grand Cherokee overland supposed to be the best rated tire out there well let me tell ya great tire in the snow and rain yes but was very loud always had a hum to them and for a 70k tire it only lasted 19k and all 4 worn even down to 1/32nd...needless to say just replaced them with the new Pirelli AS+3 I hope they last a little longer than 19k

While I, not being particularly brand loyal when it comes to tires and at the same time having a general distaste for Michelins, can believe you weren’t satisfied with the Miches, I cannot even begin to believe you claim of basically 75% reduced tire life…

I purchased them at Sam's Club Oct of 19 my wife typically does about 10k a year on avg so they Michelin's lasted a whole 20 months...Sams had done the rotations etc as that is free with purchase from them as well...went back to Sam's to claim warranty and Michelin wanted to give me $500 towards a new set....well at $1300 a set now I would have still owed $800 for a set of tires I knew would not last more than 19k miles I politely declined and purchased the new Perellis for 804 out the door. Like I said we will see how long these last.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
OK when did you buy those Michelines? 4 years ago? Because multiple people are reporting that their Michelines are peeling at 20K and the sipes are vanishing.

These are dated 2617 so they were installed around August-September 2017.

The set I installed in early 2015 when my ordered truck and had 200 miles made it only 40k and were TOAST. That is the ONLY negative Michelin experience I have ever had. They did comp me $700 or so for not making it to 60k. I put that $$$ towards this set. The Discount Tire Mgr said they had improved them so I gave them another go. I am happy with the mileage especially with the truck weighing 10k unloaded and having 6k pin when pulling the little 5er.

But I may entertain the Cooper ht3's next time. I like the solid outer ribs. A good price is $225 each. Looks like these are running $305 each, AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE - SIZE: LT235/80R17. Did these replace my current Michelins?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cooper is now owned by Goodyear. Also some of the Coopers were made in China so choose wisely.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK when did you buy those Michelines? 4 years ago? Because multiple people are reporting that their Michelines are peeling at 20K and the sipes are vanishing.
Superbumper

blt2ski
Ron, I have some cooper ht3's on the rear of my work van on par with yours.
I have arou d 50k on them.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What Coopers would be similar to these Michelins with 55k on them?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
librty02 wrote:
The Cooper AT3 XLTs are great tires I have over 40k towing on my set now and still have 7/32 left...I will purchase again for sure I just hope now that Goodyear owns Cooper they don't change that tire at least not for a while anyway.

Have/well had Michelin Defendefers on my Jeep Grand Cherokee overland supposed to be the best rated tire out there well let me tell ya great tire in the snow and rain yes but was very loud always had a hum to them and for a 70k tire it only lasted 19k and all 4 worn even down to 1/32nd...needless to say just replaced them with the new Pirelli AS+3 I hope they last a little longer than 19k

While I, not being particularly brand loyal when it comes to tires and at the same time having a general distaste for Michelins, can believe you weren’t satisfied with the Miches, I cannot even begin to believe you claim of basically 75% reduced tire life…
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

librty02
Explorer
Explorer

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running the Cooper Discoverer ATP and have absolutely no complaints at all. Got 40K on them now and I figure I can get at least another 20K. Will go back with them when it comes time to change
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The tire dealer recommended them to me when he could not get my usual Bridgestones last year.

They work well enough. I mean they go and stop and all that. I really didn't get a lot of opportunity to drive in bad weather last winter so I can't comment on snow performance (the Bridgestones were always excellent).

Right now the truck is sitting dead with a stuck lifter so we'll see how they hold up to long term storage.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
@spoon, that’s not a bad deal. Never used them but a buddy swears by those tires.

That's what I thought too, couldn't turn it down. Was hoping to get another year out of my Nitto's, but that broken belt ruined everything. I thought about buying a used tire to limp through until next year, but we've got a couple longer trips upcoming and wanted to be confident in my truck, not worried about what may go wrong.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well we used the Discount tire RHW twice. Out in Montana once. No questions asked. I was never a fan of these either, but Discount has stores all over the country and you don't need to search out some shop that honers the warranty. Albeit they only have one store in Montana that I know of in Helena so I bite the bullet and buy the RHW
Superbumper

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
IF you are a member or have a friend who is I would buy the batteries at Costco. In San Diego Costco beats Autozone by at least $50 per battery.

Costcos are mighty rare in Florida. One in Tampa about 2 hours away from here.

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and bought the Coopers at Discount tire. With their tire guarantee and taxes is was $1500+ for four, geez....
I'm impressed with the tires, very deep treads. Half an inch IIRC. I just could not find much info on the Falkens and they are even more expensive locally.

I too went with the Cooper AT3 XLT's , bought them in mid March, for 4 they were $1238.81 minus a $70 rebate ,so they were $1168.81 . If we are talking the same size on our Ram trucks 275/70/18

The way I look at it now ,I have never bought the road hazard or guarantees on any set of tire I have ever bought , that's over 50 years . replaced one tire on my dime ,$150. At this point I am money ahead . Time will tell .:B

As far as these Coopers ,time will tell on them, but so far the first thing I noticed about them is they handle the truck better than my previous Toyo AT2's , and I payed the same for those Toyo's 5 years ago , that I paid for the Coopers in March.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@spoon, that’s not a bad deal. Never used them but a buddy swears by those tires.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold