Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires? Balance or Alignment

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got new tires on TOAD ...

Very slight steering wheel vibration at exactly 25 mph ... not slower or faster mph... Other speeds no vibration all the way to 70 mph.

Would that be balance or alignment?? Or either. Thx M44

I can take it back to installer, which I will, but would like input first ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
21 REPLIES 21

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I've had much better luck with balancing beads in my motorhome tires than spin balancing with weights. The beads don't get knocked off and they automatically adjust to changing tire conditions. That said, I have had a bad tire that no amount of balancing could fix a time or two.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
No idea if applies here, but when we had the 5er, there was a thing about how they balanced the 5er tires or didn't bother, for what counted as being in the middle. ISTR about an adapter to their usual balancing thingy for "concentric" or not ?

Probably means nothing for here, but tossing it in anyway.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sumatomo Rubber Co. owns Falken and Goodyear ... originally a Japan based company, but now has several plants in USA, along with a USA headquarters ... These specific tires were manufactured in Ohio. Falken also manufactures in the former Cooper Tire plant in Tonawanda NY.

It gets good reviews - but I agree, anyone can get a bad tire or a less trained tech. I'll see what happens Monday ... will either exchange (only once) or balance. I feel I should at least give the installer a chance to make it right. Otherwise, will call Mavis Tires (The parent company of the installers) in NY and hopefully get it resolved.

It's almost minimal enough to ignore, but I worry about it getting worse as the the miles accumulate. This might be less of a problem than I think - well, just because we always think the worst - especially over a weekend without a chat ...
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
monkey44 wrote:
Just to clarify - the tires are Falken CT60 A/S - great reviews - installed yesterday. All suspension is fine, inspected at my last service. It only began after the tires were installed, immediately.

Prior to tire change, I drove it in a straight line, hand free. Ran true. Also drove same straight line, hand free after install. In both test drives, it drove straight and true at least a quarter mile. I'm thinking that eliminates alignment, but not positive as I'm not a mechanic.

Steering wheel does not 'wiggle' in only vibrates slightly at that speed, but noticable. In fact, Genie did not even notice it when she drove it home - well drove faster than 25 mph too. But I only drove it later in the day, and noticed it because I was looking for anything unusual at varied speeds.

It's very minor, but I'm afraid it might increase over time, and then be out of warranty. I will call Monday and have a chat - make appointment to have them take a look. I'm just asking you tire knowledgeable guys for a little insight before I have that chat ...

You answered your own question in the text that I bolded..

Take the tires back to where you had them mounted and try a rebalance.

If condition continues, ask for another set at no cost (warranty) or better yet, spend a few more dimes and buy better tires. I suspect you ended up with defective and unbalancable tires..

Big tire manufacturers will often make tires for other companies with a lesser degree of quality. Sears was a good example of that as they had Michelin make their Sears brand tires for many yrs which often had less tread and wore out faster than the more expensive Michelins but at a lower price point. As of 1999 Goodyear is under contract with Falken to make their tires.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
At that speed it's not a static balance problem, it's a dynamic balance problem or a bad tire. The tires need to be balanced on a dynamic spin balancer.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok causes of vibration
Wheel balance can do it
Wear of steering components and alignment
Tires out of round
U-Joints.

And the famous "Other" but off hand I can't think of any.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just to clarify - the tires are Falken CT60 A/S - great reviews - installed yesterday. All suspension is fine, inspected at my last service. It only began after the tires were installed, immediately.

Prior to tire change, I drove it in a straight line, hand free. Ran true. Also drove same straight line, hand free after install. In both test drives, it drove straight and true at least a quarter mile. I'm thinking that eliminates alignment, but not positive as I'm not a mechanic.

Steering wheel does not 'wiggle' in only vibrates slightly at that speed, but noticable. In fact, Genie did not even notice it when she drove it home - well drove faster than 25 mph too. But I only drove it later in the day, and noticed it because I was looking for anything unusual at varied speeds.

It's very minor, but I'm afraid it might increase over time, and then be out of warranty. I will call Monday and have a chat - make appointment to have them take a look. I'm just asking you tire knowledgeable guys for a little insight before I have that chat ...
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It could be balance but 25 is pretty slow for a balance problem to show up. Usually bad balance starts to show around 45 to 55. But since they are new I would take it back and have them balanced again anyway. Rotating the tires might mask the problem so make sure they put the tires back in the same positions. If the vibration persists then try rotating front to back.

Can you describe the vibration you are feeling? Does it feel like a buzzing type of vibration or does the wheel wiggle side to side? If a buzzing it might be a harmonic from the design of the tire tread.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Curious what brand are the tires???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
My first thought was similar to time2roll, may not be the tires or wheels at all - check the drivetrain, especially the CV joints.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just have them re-balanced. 99% chance itโ€™s balance.
If that doesnโ€™t work, could be an out of round tire. But Iโ€™d think that would present at more than 1 speed
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
In an open safe place have a driver and spotter drive next to you while the issue persists.
Note if the tires are wobbling side to side or up and down. Check both sides. If nothing is seen trade spots with the spotter.

How many miles on the vehicle? Could be a worn ball joint, tie rod or knuckle. In the old days these were inspected as part of an alignment but today they just connect the computer and adjust the toe. Lifting the car may have lodged it from its happy place and it may settle back in after a few hundred miles.

Get under the car and try to move things. All should be tight. Observe all linkage and steering gear while a buddy turns the wheel lock to lock and back and forth.

Also observe for worn or noisy CV joints if equipped.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well, new tires installed today ... I was coming down on balance, but want to ask here as many of RV.net guys know more than my 'little bit' about tires ... Will have installed balance again ... and see. If not, will have them put on a new set. Mfgr has a 30 day exchange if you don't like the tires - so will exercise that option if the installer can't settle the vibration.

I'm more worried it will increase if I jsut let it go and skip the 25 mph issue, but no matter, it still means something is amiss with these tires.

An aside: HA, our housing community has a 25 mph speed limit, so of course, we vibrate at 25 mph --- go figure.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Loose wheel/s. Alloys need to be re torqued, sometimes more than once. Could have lost a weight. Some balance machines are better than others.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision