Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transferring Propane?

Usmc68
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Long time not being on here. My wife and I have made the difficult decision to donate our 1994 28' Callista Cove RV. The kids are growing up and gas is stupid expensive (it has the Ford 7.5 460). A lot of incredible memories in that beast. I was wondering that before donating if I could refill some of my empty 20LB Propane tanks from the on-board tank. Just curious as it is about 75% full and hate that $$ to be gone.

Thanks in advance, and stay safe out there.
Semper Fi
Andrew
14 REPLIES 14

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
MDKMDK wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
The best answer appears to be "no, not easily or safely".

If there is NO LIQUID PROPANE INVOLVED, it IS easy and safe.

Propane inside any storage tank is primarily liquid under pressure. Opening the valve reduces the pressure and allows it to become gaseous.
Also, check your CAPS LOCK. It seems to be malfunctioning.

The change from liquid to gas is caused by the LPG boiling, not itโ€™s containment or lack thereof.

If it was colder than -42 degrees you could carry it around in a pail like it was water.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
A liquid feed from the bottom of the tank is easy. Just attach and open the bleeder valve on the empty cylinder. Same as any propane fill without the pump to make it go faster. Yes wear proper gloves, eye protection and no smoking, sparks or flames within 30'.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

Propane inside any storage tank is primarily liquid under pressure. Opening the valve reduces the pressure and allows it to become gaseous.
Also, check your CAPS LOCK. It seems to be malfunctioning.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you know what you are doing, and are very careful and lucky, some very bad things can happen.

Clicky, clicky โ€ฆ..BOOM.

The above is story of what happened when a โ€˜proโ€™ was transferring LPG between 2 trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:

If thereโ€™s no liquid youโ€™re not getting much LP out.
This is another topic that some should refrain from providing comment on when they donโ€™t know what theyโ€™re talking about.
This includes you and the person who said the opposite.
Youโ€™re wrong because if youโ€™re not transferring liquid, itโ€™s useless. And theyโ€™re wrong, because itโ€™s not really an issue, in general.
How it will work with his particular tank, idk though. And may cost more for the hardware than itโ€™s worth.

Trying to understand though, how big is the tank and how much is in it? Youโ€™re donating the RV so presumably itโ€™s either un-sellable junk, which is a poor way to get rid of junk. Or itโ€™s actually useable and runs, in which case youโ€™re not interested in the money if youโ€™re only collecting a tax deduction vs 3x as much in actual money if you sell it outright. But your trying to save what is likely less than $40-50 worth of propane?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldnโ€™t want my amateur neighbor transferring a bunch of propane.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

But the OP wants to transfer the propane from one vessel to another. Unless they are going to try and fill a backyard full of cylinders with vapors or have a mega vapor tank, there no relatively safe and easy way to transfer liquid propane in its liquid state between vessels.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I concur that not worth the time and effort. Before you donate it attach the mh tank to a gas grill, cook up a bunch of food that can then be frozen and eaten later. Conversely, call a local propane supplier and ask them. They must have a way to do it for the times a large propane tank needs to be taken out of service. Should be no difference then saving the Freon/coolant from a failing A/C unit.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
The best answer appears to be "no, not easily or safely". Maybe a propane dealer/shop that fills these things, could answer your question. Try sending an email question, or call some of them. As someone mentioned, it's probably not worth the expense, but you'll never know if you don't ask.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it have a fitting on the bottom to get liquid propane?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know anything about the tank on your RV. If it is a "gaseous, vapor" like a typical BBQ tank, then you can just hook the two together with appropriate hose. THIS WILL NOT FILL YOUR BBQ TANK !

To do that, you need different pressures between the two tanks. The easiest way is to make one hotter than the other. Before you open any valves, put the BBQ tank in a large container of ice water. The more I've the better. Once the tank has cooled to below 40ยฐF, then open the valve. Pouring hot water n the other tank helps.

You will have to keep this up for about 30 minutes. Yes, that is a lot of I've !

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the valve position is to high up on the MH tank to be able to off- load liquid propane to another tank without a pump and/or special connections.
By the time you spend money to buy what you need might end up costing more than the LP value.

Being that you and I really donโ€™t know for sure, better to leave LP transfers to a tech that knows what he is doing. Suppose someone gives you the wrong advice ! Is it really worth it ?