Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Transferring Propane?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Transferring Propane?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Usmc68

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all,

Long time not being on here. My wife and I have made the difficult decision to donate our 1994 28' Callista Cove RV. The kids are growing up and gas is stupid expensive (it has the Ford 7.5 460). A lot of incredible memories in that beast. I was wondering that before donating if I could refill some of my empty 20LB Propane tanks from the on-board tank. Just curious as it is about 75% full and hate that $$ to be gone.

Thanks in advance, and stay safe out there.
Semper Fi
Andrew

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the valve position is to high up on the MH tank to be able to off- load liquid propane to another tank without a pump and/or special connections.
By the time you spend money to buy what you need might end up costing more than the LP value.

Being that you and I really don’t know for sure, better to leave LP transfers to a tech that knows what he is doing. Suppose someone gives you the wrong advice ! Is it really worth it ?

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know anything about the tank on your RV. If it is a "gaseous, vapor" like a typical BBQ tank, then you can just hook the two together with appropriate hose. THIS WILL NOT FILL YOUR BBQ TANK !

To do that, you need different pressures between the two tanks. The easiest way is to make one hotter than the other. Before you open any valves, put the BBQ tank in a large container of ice water. The more I've the better. Once the tank has cooled to below 40°F, then open the valve. Pouring hot water n the other tank helps.

You will have to keep this up for about 30 minutes. Yes, that is a lot of I've !

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/22 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it have a fitting on the bottom to get liquid propane?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MDKMDK

Free(er), for now, until the next "variant"

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best answer appears to be "no, not easily or safely". Maybe a propane dealer/shop that fills these things, could answer your question. Try sending an email question, or call some of them. As someone mentioned, it's probably not worth the expense, but you'll never know if you don't ask.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/22 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

The best answer appears to be "no, not easily or safely".

If there is NO LIQUID PROPANE INVOLVED, it IS easy and safe.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/22 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I concur that not worth the time and effort. Before you donate it attach the mh tank to a gas grill, cook up a bunch of food that can then be frozen and eaten later. Conversely, call a local propane supplier and ask them. They must have a way to do it for the times a large propane tank needs to be taken out of service. Should be no difference then saving the Freon/coolant from a failing A/C unit.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ItsyRV

Lost on the Blue Ridge Parkway

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/22 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

But the OP wants to transfer the propane from one vessel to another. Unless they are going to try and fill a backyard full of cylinders with vapors or have a mega vapor tank, there no relatively safe and easy way to transfer liquid propane in its liquid state between vessels.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/22/22 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t want my amateur neighbor transferring a bunch of propane.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/22 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

The best answer appears to be "no, not easily or safely".

If there’s no liquid you’re not getting much LP out.
This is another topic that some should refrain from providing comment on when they don’t know what they’re talking about.
This includes you and the person who said the opposite.
You’re wrong because if you’re not transferring liquid, it’s useless. And they’re wrong, because it’s not really an issue, in general.
How it will work with his particular tank, idk though. And may cost more for the hardware than it’s worth.

Trying to understand though, how big is the tank and how much is in it? You’re donating the RV so presumably it’s either un-sellable junk, which is a poor way to get rid of junk. Or it’s actually useable and runs, in which case you’re not interested in the money if you’re only collecting a tax deduction vs 3x as much in actual money if you sell it outright. But your trying to save what is likely less than $40-50 worth of propane?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Transferring Propane?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.