cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delamination - Are we crazy?

jdsaint
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I found a 2006 Itasca Meridian we love. But it looks like there is some delamination under the fridge vent area. Not terrible and not that noticable. I walked away because that sounds like a major issue. Am I right, or could it just be cosmetic and not cause any problems for a long time? Or would I never be able to sell it without spending the money to get it fixed? Thanks for your advice!
7 REPLIES 7

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
When coaches start to de-laminate, don't just walk away: RUN!
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a problem same way. Turns out the hose from the fridge was not in the evap bowl that it was supposed to be in. Condensation or defrost water was supposed to b running in the bowl where it would heat and be evaporated. It got out of the bowl and water was running down the side of the compartment. Check it, sounds just like our problem was back years ago
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
jdsaint wrote:
To be clear, when I say fridge vent, I mean on the side, not the roof.

Thanks

The delam at the fridge side opening could be caused by a problem on the roof as it's basically a duct/conduit/chute from top to bottom.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would pull off the fridge vent and see what's what. If the condensation tube is damaged or not run outside, you may have rot caused by that.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdsaint wrote:

Thanks

Can you access the area from inside the coach? Is there a cabinet door or drawer? You'll have to look inside to see if any real damage has occured. Dryrot can be repaired, if you can get to it. The delaminated spot can be iffy. If you don't mind an area that ends up looking like a patch, easily done.

jdsaint
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
A small area can be repaired, but you need to determine why it delaminated, and you'll need to pull trim/moldings to find out why. If it was from a small leak over time, and the leak is repaired, I'd say go for it.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD