cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You Swap Brake Controller Temporarily

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve got a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a tekonsha primus iq brake controller for out trailer that’s probably about 8,000 loaded. I was supposed to bring the trailer to a campground for my Dad to use but we just had a baby and I can’t get away long enough for a trip like that.

We have a family friend who is going on this trip too and he’s got a newer 1500 but no brake controller.

Is it an easy thing to just remove my brake controller from my truck, install it temporarily in his and then put it back in my truck once the trip is over? We had the rv dealer install the unit years ago so I’m not sure if it’s as simple as just unplugging it from mine and plugging it into his truck and then tidy up the slack wires.
10 REPLIES 10

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
call the builder of the maker.

No idea what that translates to.
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
cm11599ps wrote:
I’ve got a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn with a tekonsha primus iq brake controller for out trailer that’s probably about 8,000 loaded. I was supposed to bring the trailer to a campground for my Dad to use but we just had a baby and I can’t get away long enough for a trip like that.

We have a family friend who is going on this trip too and he’s got a newer 1500 but no brake controller.

Is it an easy thing to just remove my brake controller from my truck, install it temporarily in his and then put it back in my truck once the trip is over? We had the rv dealer install the unit years ago so I’m not sure if it’s as simple as just unplugging it from mine and plugging it into his truck and then tidy up the slack wires.

If the pigtail on your 2013 is the same as the one in the newer Ram, 99% chance it's plug n play. May still have to mount it in the truck so it can be tuned for level.

Other options, good enough friend to swap trucks with?
Wireless brake controllers are stupid easy, but will cost someone a couple hundo?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
You had a professional install your brake controller initially. That was a good idea then...and it is a good idea now.

Yet people who aren't "professionals" do it all the time with no issue...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry..I saw 1500 and thought GM. It looks like Ram 2013 and 2019 use same wiring harness.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Look on e trailer, they'll have the harness cheaper than anyone and you'll have it in a couple days.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob213 wrote:
Ram to GM more than likely requires a different wiring harness. Other than that (after setting it up) it should work.

Bob's correct. UHaul should have the correct harness.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call the builder of the maker.

longislandcampe
Explorer
Explorer
It’s a 2013 ram 1500 to a newer ram 1500, probably like a 2019.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Ram to GM more than likely requires a different wiring harness. Other than that (after setting it up) it should work.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You had a professional install your brake controller initially. That was a good idea then...and it is a good idea now.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad