cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wobble Stoppers?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another trip in the books with the new rig! Had a few issues but no show stoppers!

One item on my fix-it list is stopping some of the bounce and wobble in the trailer. Current setup is all factory, landing gear in the front and crank-down stabilizers in the back. I also use a set of X-chocks between the wheels on both sides. Front-to-back movement seemed minimal, it felt like a lot of movement was lateral. I've seen the braces that form an X between the landing gear, also a tripod device that goes under the king pin, etc. but don't want to waste money on junk.

I wanted to get opinions from the experienced 5er guys on what's the best bang for my buck in stopping the wobble?
15 REPLIES 15

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
burbman wrote:
I have these in the rear:

I've used the same on the last three 5th wheel trailers. Along with my bipod pin stabilizer and adjustable chocks both sides eliminates any side to side/up and down movement on my trailers.
Like everything else their cost has risen. I gave 89.95 for the 1st set in '90

All three trailers came with 4 screw type jacks. Gave the first two sets away and the 3rd set has been in the trailer barn for 20 years now.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Ford Truck Guy wrote:
Smart move upgrading the AC before stability.... I would MUCH rather be cool then a bit un stable.....

Over 25 years ago our first "used" fifth wheel came with a tripod. It did not take me long to realize it had little or no effect upon stability. Over those more than 25 years, four different fifth-wheels, and nearly 200,000 miles of towing, we have found that "stability" is not a problem for us. We often do not even put down the rear stabilizers when only overnight or if the site makes that difficult. Maybe for us it is like being on a cruise ship: movement that we can live with.

This is only to share our experience and our preference. I am not trying to change the preference of those for whom "stability" is an issue and I am not saying that my preference is superior to theirs. But it is my experience and my preference.

Smart move upgrading the AC before stability.... I would MUCH rather be cool then a bit un stable.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
TXiceman wrote:
But the most sure-fire way to stop the wobble is to place solid blocks about every 4 feet under the frame and get the trailer totally off the tires.

Ken

Yeah, but I don't want to spend 1/2 a day setting up....

I have these in the rear:

So it sounds like my best bet is this JT Strongarm Set:

It's gonna have to wait a while....I just went for $700 on a new cooling unit for the fridge, and there's already talk of adding the second a/c in the bedroom....I appreciate the info, at least I have something specific to add to the list.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
I tried a tripod and finally gave it away. A major waste of your $$$$. J.T.'s Strongarms do better than anything else. Also put blocks under the jacks to keep the jack extension as short as possible.

But the most sure-fire way to stop the wobble is to place solid blocks about every 4 feet under the frame and get the trailer totally off the tires.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tripod, is another word for boat Anchor.

I would get a kick seeing people use a tripod with an air bag pin box. Things that make you go HMMMMM.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for ditching the Trip-pod and getting the JT's. Also, re-tighten the X-chocks after tires cool down and if possible, add more blocks of wood under any points of contact the front legs/rear stabs have w/ the ground to shorten the extension of said components. But all in all, the JT's will be your best friend.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Back before we had the 6 point system, we did the following . .

Got a tripod... gave the tripod away after 1 use... added a pair of telescoping jacks at the axle, added JT's, added a pair of jacks at the rear bumper as there was a decent overhang.. cut some 6x8x8 wood blocks to allow the jacks to be a bit more stable, all movement was pretty much eliminated . . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
JTs or a similar product work great for lateral and up and down movement.

I've used a aluminum bipod pin stabilize since our first 5th wheel trailer in 1990. Didn't take but one trip till the brain kicked in and figured out it can only stop lateral movement at the front of the trailer.
Bought a BAL telescoping stabilizer for the rear of the trailer which stops lateral moves back there ....and adjustable chocks between the tires that eliminated fore and aft movement for a rock solid trailer.
I've used this method on three different 5th wheel trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for stabilizer jacks near the axles.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys. Need new landing gear pins so am gathering my order together. I just realized my typo in my original post, I don't have a tripod or anything right now, I meant to say I've seen them around a lot.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Another vote for JT Strongarm stabilizers
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
frankwp wrote:
Yes, toss the tripod. If you install a set of strong arms, you can go to regular wheel chocks because the X-chocks won't be adding any stabilities at all. Depending on the length, you may want to even add crank down stabilizers next to the axles.

We did what you said on our alpenlite because the wife sat above the wheels and did needle work so a set of scissors jacks in front of the wheels fixed the issue but later added the Jt's for sitting the 6 months in Az. Nice to have the stable fifth when the wind blows hard.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, toss the tripod. If you install a set of strong arms, you can go to regular wheel chocks because the X-chocks won't be adding any stabilities at all. Depending on the length, you may want to even add crank down stabilizers next to the axles.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison