cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

89A through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps one of the most scenic roads in Arizona 89A has always been restricted, no vehicles over 50’ and with good reason. Rode it this morning on our Can Am Spyder, be advised that restriction is now 30’ due to construction that necessitates a lane closure in two locations.

They are rebuilding a bridge and near the north end of the canyon they are constructing large retaining walls. I’m guessing both projects will take months (as in many more) so the new restriction will be in effect for some time. Lots of LEO’s working both section so assume they will be enforcing the new limits.

:C
10 REPLIES 10

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We're at 7856' on the edge of the rim between the roads to Bear Canyon lake and Knoll lake.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
I would like to add the Rim Road (FS300) in the Coconino and Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests as an awesome drive. Lots of fantastic views. We're currently boondocking about 60 feet from the edge of the rim. But beware, sections of the road are narrow and rough - not much fun when towing a 42' 5th wheel.

X2 Camping right on the Rim is spectacular... and free. You just have to find one of the gorgeous sites that his empty.

Here is a shot from "The Rim" looking southwest towards Payson:

:B

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I would like to add the Rim Road (FS300) in the Coconino and Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests as an awesome drive. Lots of fantastic views. We're currently boondocking about 60 feet from the edge of the rim. But beware, sections of the road are narrow and rough - not much fun when towing a 42' 5th wheel.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Janss wrote:
DC...You must have come during spring break. Here spring break lasts SEVERAL weeks, like from mid-March to mid-April. The traffic IS insane. I can only go to the grocery store at 8am or 8pm, else I'd have an hour or more trip just to go 5 miles. The traffic is nowhere near as bad now...except on the weekends! And holidays! Can't wait for this coming Memorial Day weekend. Better get my groceries before Friday 🙂

Definitely agree about the restaurant prices. It's not just HP, but nearly all the restaurants. We rarely go out to eat here.

Actually we were there at 0900 hoping for breakfast at HP but after seeing the new prices we walked. Even that early on a weekday the traffic was ridiculous. If you can find a parking apace then you have to mess with their automated parking meter payment system. Sedona used to be fun but no so much anymore...

:R

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We did it coming from Williams to Cottonwood in 1999 towing a 24 ft camper. Great drive.I'm glad we had good breaks!

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
DC...You must have come during spring break. Here spring break lasts SEVERAL weeks, like from mid-March to mid-April. The traffic IS insane. I can only go to the grocery store at 8am or 8pm, else I'd have an hour or more trip just to go 5 miles. The traffic is nowhere near as bad now...except on the weekends! And holidays! Can't wait for this coming Memorial Day weekend. Better get my groceries before Friday 🙂

Definitely agree about the restaurant prices. It's not just HP, but nearly all the restaurants. We rarely go out to eat here.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Just came from the area and it's beautiful and for us especially the fantastic red rock areas.

I'd bet a dounut that the construction area traffic is faster than the Sedona area on a weekend. :B

We were there in April and the traffic in Sedona was insane. We used to enjoy a visit and a nice breakfast at the HP Cafe but their prices have gone to the moon… a simple omelet is $21.

:S

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Traveled that route twice in a lifetime. Once as a teenager and again about 20 years ago. The last time I was driving a 35ft motorhome towing a jeepwrangler. My wife didn't see a thing.
It is a beautiful drive.

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the ADOT project webpage:
SR 89A Improvements
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just came from the area and it's beautiful and for us especially the fantastic red rock areas.

I'd bet a dounut that the construction area traffic is faster than the Sedona area on a weekend. :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob