cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Declared Value Insurance.....any carriers you recommend?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was fishing this past weekend and lightning struck a 13' graphite fishing rod on the front of my RV in the cooler rack. It vaporized the rod completely and broke front windshield but otherwise not damage to RV. I only carry liability insurance, so, this would have been devastating if my RV had burned up. Since it's 4WD and customized, want to insure it for comprehensive/total-loss insurance with a declared value of $60,000.

Any insurance carries you'd recommend before I do the dreaded Google search which will automatically generate wayyyyy to many inquires from every insurance provider out there?
10 REPLIES 10

vjswhippet
Explorer
Explorer
I had declared value and I didn't even know it ! I had my 2008 Class Sprinter motorhome for 2 years and Insurance paid me what I paid for it ..... I lost it in a barn fire. The insurance I use is Allstate. They were good about paying everything .. including a high top sprinter van, the motorhome, a tractor, golf cart, and the 36 X 50 barn.
Vickie Smith
Kansas City area
2020 Coachmen Leprechaun 260DS

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, nothing left to chance with insurance underwriters/policies. I have a 750hp 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee I used to race (now just a toy) and had a declared value on that for $25k (just the cost of the engine setup) and didn't have a problem. Fingers crossed I'll try Progressive/State Farm/American Family for some input. Thanks again all!

PS: And yes, had left the beach due to lightning approaching and one gal on the beach was holding her pole and lightning struck the ocean and she felt it in the pole and dropped it and ran to the truck. I never fish in the storm and left accordingly but somehow it decided to send me a signal ๐Ÿ˜ž

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
VA-Apraisr wrote:
I expect resistance for sure. Just know the 4x4 conversion is now $20-23k range alone and upgraded the entire interior, lithium battery system, suspension, solar, etc. and the only reason I dropped my comprehensive a few years back was
because they based it on a stock 2003 RV and had a value of around $9000. I'll make some calls and see what I can do to try and get some reasonable coverage in case "lightning" strikes again. Thanks all!

The cost of the upgrades is irrelevant. The issue is what is the market value of the finished product.

I'm guessing based on your description, you are thinking somewhere around $40-60k...if the stock unit has a market value of $9k, that's going to be a steep climb.

Be very specific and get it in writing. Just because they issue a policy doesn't mean they will pay out when it comes time for a claim.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Man, I'm still marveling at this unfortunate incident. What are the odds??

Thank God the OP wasn't holding the fishing rod..

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
State rules can vary but State Farm has given me whatever stated value I asked for and then charged accordingly if outside the underwriting framework.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I expect resistance for sure. Just know the 4x4 conversion is now $20-23k range alone and upgraded the entire interior, lithium battery system, suspension, solar, etc. and the only reason I dropped my comprehensive a few years back was
because they based it on a stock 2003 RV and had a value of around $9000. I'll make some calls and see what I can do to try and get some reasonable coverage in case "lightning" strikes again. Thanks all!

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Was fishing this past weekend and lightning struck a 13' graphite fishing rod on the front of my RV in the cooler rack. It vaporized the rod completely and broke front windshield but otherwise not damage to RV. I only carry liability insurance, so, this would have been devastating if my RV had burned up. Since it's 4WD and customized, want to insure it for comprehensive/total-loss insurance with a declared value of $60,000.

Any insurance carries you'd recommend before I do the dreaded Google search which will automatically generate wayyyyy to many inquires from every insurance provider out there?

What's the market value of the rig and can you convince the insurance company?

If it's way outside the comparable prices on the market (or just an oddball), expect to provide a survey and independent appraisal. Don't expect your love of the rig to sway them.

If it's a $5k RV, they won't let you insurance for $60k.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Had Progressive for many years with declared or agreed value policies. Fair/easy on establishing value and good rates. No claims so canโ€™t speak to that. Only dumped them because they found it necessary to jack our other vehicle rates.
Currently have American Family. No issues getting policies and decent premiums. No claims , so โ€ฆ

Have you tried your auto or homeowners company?
Note, if itโ€™s something custom you may need an appraisal to substantiate the limits.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI only carry liability insurance, so, this would have been devastating ifโ€ฆโ€

Exactly why I carry full insurance. I donโ€™t want to be financially devastated.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
I just shopped around a bit, and landed on Progressive for my new Class C.
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB