cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Have had three trailers and multiple tow vehicles over the years. Have always required a WDH.

New truck (Sierra 2500) and hooked up the, fairly small, trailer for the first time to this truck.

Pre and post measurements at the front and rear wheel wells. Difference at the front is 7/16th inch higher and rear is 3/4 inch lower.

Have not done any weigh scale, but presumably the difference in height(s) has some correlation to the effect of the weight on the truck.

So, is the difference in heights minimal enough that a WDH is unnecessary or should the set-up be weighed?

And, does a WDH provide any other benefit, other than distributing the weight? As I am so used to having a WDH hooked up, it would seem strange not to have one.

Marv
12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boomerweps wrote:
Forgot to mention,
my SIL towed a near 8000# toy hauler 28โ€™ box, IIRC, with his Ram 2500 diesel, later with a 2500 gas. No WDH ever, no probs.

Thatโ€™s the nice thing about toyhaulers for towing. Especially if not loaded heavy in back.
Lots of tongue weight, tires and axles that are generally stouter than similar size trailers and axles set back a bit further than average TT.
They tow like theyre on rails.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention,
my SIL towed a near 8000# toy hauler 28โ€™ box, IIRC, with his Ram 2500 diesel, later with a 2500 gas. No WDH ever, no probs.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's probably OK but measuring to the nearest 1/16th of an inch accurately is sketchy with a tape measure.

What is the trailer? Does it have any ratings? At least give us some ballpark info on what you are dealing with.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

Marv

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Boomerweps wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Or the cliffs notes. 500lbs tw is NOWHERE near needing a wdh to save the hitch.
Not even on a newer half ton.

PPS, 5000lbs is the bumper ball limit.

Ford F-150 standard 2โ€ hitch has the non WDH 500/5000 limit on a sticker and in the Ownerโ€™s Manual and Towing Guide. Yes, itโ€™s also the bumper hole tow limit.

Well thatโ€™s probably just due to the fact that itโ€™s a Fordโ€ฆlol
But seriously, Im not sure what your point is. I mean if my aunt had balls, sheโ€™d be my uncle. And I thought this thread/question was aboot a 3/4 ton GM, which might not be the same as a half ton Ford. Just going out on a limb with that oneโ€ฆ
Nice that Ford still puts stickers on their hitches. Havenโ€™t had a new truck in years that had a sticker for hitch rating on the hitch or anywhere near it.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Ford F-150 standard 2โ€ hitch has the non WDH 500/5000 limit on a sticker and in the Ownerโ€™s Manual and Towing Guide. Yes, itโ€™s also the bumper hole tow limit.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'll just leave this here for all the 500/5000 folks...
Note this is from a 2019 GM truck owners manual, so ymmv...

Vehicle Series Hitch Type
Maximum Tongue
Weight
1500 Weight-Carrying or
Weight-Distributing
567 kg (1,250 lb)
2500/3500
Standard Box
Weight-Carrying or
Weight-Distributing
680 kg (1,500 lb)
2500/
3500 Long Box
Weight-Carrying or
Weight-Distributing
907 kg (2,000 lb)

PS, the hitches on a 2500 and 3500 from the factory are the same, 1500tw vs 2000tw is likely due to GVWR restrictions as this is for gassers which didn't get the GM 2500 "bump" in gvwr.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With a solid 15% of tongue weight I'll wager a WDH is unnecessary. My Chevy book too, SJM.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
marpel wrote:
As I am so used to having a WDH hooked up, it would seem strange not to have one.

Marv

This^ is the only issue with not running one. That empty feeling that RVers apparently get in the pit of their stomach when they don't see the wdh security blanket in place....
No, you don't need a wdh. If the trailer tows like carp, you may want sway control (another security blanket that is likely not needed in many/most setups as well).

If it helps ease your mind, I've yet to use a wdh on any of the 100s of different trailers I've pulled over the last 30+ years. Including our current RV which is rolling down the road at 33' long, something over 10klbs (never weighed it) and hitched up, requires 30-40psi in the bags to level the truck back up. Tows yust fine.

However the correct answer is the 3/4" sag in your suspension means nothing. That's supposed to happen when you put a little weight in/on the back of the truck. Don't ask us. Take it for a drive and see if you're happy, not happy or freaked out about how it tows.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Look it up in the owners manual, it says something to the effect of a wdh is not needed towing 5000lbs or under. At least thats in my chevy book. Yours should be the same. I had my hitch allready and put it on, I just didnt set the tension on it all the way. As stated above its more for sway controll for me then weight distribution.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
marpel wrote:
Have had three trailers and multiple tow vehicles over the years. Have always required a WDH.

New truck (Sierra 2500) and hooked up the, fairly small, trailer for the first time to this truck.

Pre and post measurements at the front and rear wheel wells. Difference at the front is 7/16th inch higher and rear is 3/4 inch lower.

Have not done any weigh scale, but presumably the difference in height(s) has some correlation to the effect of the weight on the truck.

So, is the difference in heights minimal enough that a WDH is unnecessary or should the set-up be weighed?

And, does a WDH provide any other benefit, other than distributing the weight? As I am so used to having a WDH hooked up, it would seem strange not to have one.

Marv

My truck has both the heavy duty payload Pgk and trailer tow Pkg. My front wheel well before and after difference was 1/2". Following the WDH instructions brought the measurement back to 87%. As mentioned the added benefit is the sway control.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
A WDH is not needed in some cases, and from your description, you likely don't need one. However, with some trailers the added benefit is sway control.

Give it a tow without, see how it works with new truck.

Jerry